Sport Fish vs. Flybridge Cruiser Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Sport Fish vs. Flybridge Cruiser Question

Post by SteveM »

I'm in the market and looking.
For those of you that have the SF model, do you use the helm in the cabin ever?
Do you wish you had the bulkhead?
I believe I would like no bulkhead so it would allow more communication from under the top to the cockpit. And I don't see my family or anyone sitting in the stuffy cabin while underway or at anchor. And the stand up head closet seems to take up a lot of real estate in the FBC models. Would be glad to hear your opinions.

Any thoughts on this boat for sale? I may drive across the state to go look. It was a Virginia service boat they bought in auction and redid. He has two and is keeping one for himself. This one has a helm below, and a bulkhead.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1973- ... h-97166538
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a Sportsfish model and have had it for 33 years. Do I steer from down below? No. Would I do without it? Never. My ability to start from down below, see my instruments, make tuning adjustments and repairs without jumping up and down from the bridge is invaluable. For me at my present age, climbing to the bridge with an open starboard engine box might border on folly. I often work alone. Without the advantage of having a full set of instruments down below would make any engine work a two person effort. The open back DOES make for better communications, shelter from the sun and is much less claustrophobic, especially if you have members of your family who are susceptible to Mal-de-mer. If there is any complaint, it's the head hidden between the v-berths under the filler. A lot has to do with how you are going to use your boat. We fish and the boat is almost always a day-boat. A cruising use with overnight stops might want the full bathroom and I would suggest air conditioning. It is also lockable. The canvas zip-up closing of the Sportsfish model would also be a disadvantage if security is an issue where the boat is kept. Fortunately for me, it is not. Might I have ever run the boat from down below? I might have had I have been able to afford duplicate electronics at the lower station, but that was not the case and my full enclosure afforded me the protection I needed in rough seas or weather. Hope this helps. Whatever your decision, it's still a 31 Bertram!
scot

Post by scot »

I can see every advantage Whalter mentioned, but a Florida boat that has a cabin and no AC? You would have nowhere to escape the heat. You can hide from the sun, but you can't hide from the heat in your part of the world. What side of Florida are you on? From a boater's perspective the Gulf side is hotter than the Atlantic side, as you already know.

It's a personal choice. If I lived up north (like Whalter) I think I would like an open cabin, but in the south, if there is going to be a cabin I know I would want an AC. If you want an open layout with all the beneifts Whalter mentioned and a boat that can take advantage of the breeze, look at the Bahi Mar 31s. Many of the Florida boat builders have been building open cockpit, Bahi type boats for years. I think the heat has something to do with the open design.

I have a 25 Bert that I am reconfiguring from a hardtop with no aft bulkhead, basically a Sportsfish type layout to a Bahi Mar style boat. I need to catch all the breeze I can on the Texas Gulf Coast.

It's a personal choice and like Whalter said, either way it's a 31 Bertram.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Scot,
I would keep the boat in the Bahamas. Currently we do a lot of snorkeling and off shore fishing, I have a B26 with outboards and a small tower today. We mostly do day boat type stuff. My wife and daughter envision a cabin with AC. I on the other hand don't envision us going into the cabin much if it is enclosed. Once you are in there you may as well be back at the house in the AC (in my opinion). I agree with your thoughts on the Bahia Mar. But I'm thinking the Sport Fish is a very happy middle ground. A table and kitchenette for when we are anchored, plenty of breeze especially if you open a couple windows, and shade. The random times we actually overnight on the boat, should be fine. The breeze when you are on the hook is usually all you need out there. Of course if it rains and there are mosquitos and it's really still, they will all hate me, LOL. We grew up camping out there every summer on a Uniflite 28 with no AC and they are the best memories ever. I know they would enjoy a boat like Slainte on the Listings page tremendously. But it's a little steep in price for my pocket book. Sea Horse is for sale and I've always admired that boat when I see it in the islands, it's a Bahia Mar. But it's much more fishing and less family oriented. The boat in the link above could be dialed in but I am leery of how much I would end up spending slapping some diesels in there, and the tank has not been replaced. But we have no ethanol in the Bahamas.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
scot

Post by scot »

I understand, I grew up "weekending" on a 25 Chris Craft cabin cruiser, also some of my best memories (no AC). A custom aft cabin curtin and AC could be the ticket, best of both worlds.

Good luck.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

We built a removable filler and matching cushion between the engine boxes and used it as another sleeping bunk with or without dropping our dacron aft cover based on the weather.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If the lower windshield is stock...they open up and offer lots of ventilation...although not AC it is a real benefit and can make sitting/being inside bearable (SP?)

My only downside of the sportfish model is the open back. While a locked door will not keep anyone out who want to get in...a canvas back or open back is like a welcome mat...
then again I guess alot has to do with where you keep it and what you keep inside of it...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a hybrid Sportfish with factory installed bulkhead. I like having the lower station. I don't use it much, but i like having it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bill Mckinnon

Flybridge

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Steve,

I have a flybridge with new Yanmars. Love having the cabin with standup head and the dinette table. If interested it will be on the Market soon

Capt. Bill McKinnon