fly bridge enclosure

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marlin

fly bridge enclosure

Post by Marlin »

will I need an enclosure to stay dry , new 1/2 tower and need to make a decision, considering ez2cy accross entire front and 1/2 way around sides, isening glass rear sides , rear access , both sides and a rollup in the aft center panal so I can access the tackle center built under the seat, I also installed an 18000 btu ac unit in the overhead which is ready to be ducted to the bridge, boat will be in the tropical climate
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

EZ2CY is a real high dollar polycarbonite sheeting and is prone to breakage without much of a force. When the wind hits it above 20 kt it can sound like you're trapped inside of a snare drum.

My recomendation would be to use Stratoglass all the way around. Stratoglass has far better optical qulities than Eisenglass, won't yellow, fairly abrasive resistant, and yet softer and thicker like Eisenglass.

For the fabric areas use Stamoid stiched with either Goretex or Tenra thread. Use spiral zippers only.

Uncle Vic used these recommendations almost 10 years ago and has been very happy with his.

Best person for canvass work in the Palm Beach area is Mike Erickson, owner of Canvass Designers on Austrailian Ave just south of Blue Heron Blvd. 561 848 2111
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I have EZ2cy on my rybo and cruise at 30 knots in many sea conditions, it was installed by Canvas Designers, good dudes, the strataglass has some polarity interference when wearing polarized sunglasses, I'm trying not to have any seems in 180 degrees of the forward / side viewing and I don.t want zippered vents they leak to much and I dont want horseshoes, thats why I considering the ac above
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Gottcha'. Mike's the man...
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

We have strataglass and its pretty much crap. I knew it going in but it was an extra piece from another job and it allowed for a zipper to be cut in. Stratglass stretches over time and the polarity interference is a direct result of the way its assembled in 2 pieces, just junk after the first year.

EZ2CY in a single piece will have pretty good strength across the front. The toughest bend will be on the flybridge cap in each forward corner, they may have to heat it to get it in place, Track top and bottom will help with water intrusion. You may want some fresh water so you can spray the enclosure down, with no u-zip its gonna get a little crusty up there some days.

I'm a big fan of no full sides and no rear panels, just get a bigger fan on the a/c and point it.

This is where I ended the enclosure, I've never taken any water in the sides, occassionally over the top but not so much from the sides

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

thx capt pat, JP nice ride, I'm a big fan of teak , I like the cactus anchor lite staff, is that an xm antenna and gps antenna as well, I don't see a ladder to the bridge, curious. Good comment about the washdown of the front otfthe enclosuer , I now recall many times washing the salt off at sea, fortunately my other boat is a 42 walkaround ,but it can be dangerous walking out in heavy head seas, thx
John F.

Post by John F. »

Marlin-

How 'bout some pics. of the Rybo. Is it one of the Jimmy Buffer type walk-arounds? I thought that looked like a great boat.

John
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

John ,it is a Margaritavich 1 of 2 that was built, they then went back to cold molded boats, Buffett did get the first one, if I ever overcome this techo disadvantage and figure out how to get images on this site, I would love to share images of the rybo and my project boat, capt pat has tried but I didn't pass that class.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

marlin
its easy just send them to harv like i do , and he takes care of it.lol
Harv

Post by Harv »

cwj wrote:marlin
its easy just send them to harv like i do , and he takes care of it.lol
Wise guy!!!
Harv
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I don't see a ladder to the bridge, curious.
Its a 31 Bertram, one step up the side and your on the flybridge. Non skid patches on the overhang outside the aft legs provide the grip. When its rough out just scurry under the bridge rail.

My fathers closer to 70 then 60 and he's had no issues getting up and down. The payback is 2 wide open engine boxes to set up the mezzanine.

Teak..... yeah we got lots of teak

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have the outside steps and that is all I use to get to the flybridge.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

for those with knee or other problems climbing or taking the big step here is the one step approach used by myself and mike o . i can accent to the bridge as fast as a person can go to cabin controls . gin pole is the grab handle in rough seas . the gin pole has a snap on block and tackle for those who cringed when they bend over the gunnels to pull tuna/shark into the boat . have a short tail rope that goes around tuna attaches to block and tackle minimum effort put tuna head at gunnel height then pull into cockpit and let go .that motion of wraping your body in a U over gunnel is a killer!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

JP Dalik wrote:
JP, why are you taking pictures when it looks like you have a fish on that starboard rod?
Harv
neil

Post by neil »

harv ,my guess is its a plainer if not the picture of his daughter is worth more see ya a week from thurs
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Harv,

Fishing a planer on that rod.

Bob,

Is that a rachet mount on the jumbo VHF antenna? YIKES!!!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"