Thru Hulls - Assembly question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Thru Hulls - Assembly question

Post by Hyena Love »

What is the recommended substance, if any, to apply to the threads when screwing hose nipples or hard piping into thru hulls?

I have that magic snot - Tuff Gel - and assorted greases and adhesives. I also have teflon tape like you would use for home plumbing.

Bigger picture - I am doing the internal plumbing to run the restroom/washdown pump and to supply a live well. Thru hulls are already installed with valves (one is 1 inch, other is 2 inches), and I am just doing the internal plumbing.

Thanks.
scot

Post by scot »

For plumbing / pipe threads I vote teflon + hardware store pipe dope. Seawater, fuel and of course turd resistant.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

For the thru hull fittings, I was always told you don't use anything because you break the bonding. Not sure if it matters once you get past that point.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Waxed thread.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Seriously, waxed thread? Like I would use to build a panama strip bait? Bait rigging waxed thread?

I have bonded the thru hulls. My initial concern with the Tuff Gel was intefering with the bonding system by isolating the parts.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Quick wick, or lamp wick. Works well and doesn't break the continuity.

Brass is soft and will stretch if you over tighten. Teflon sometimes doesn't seal too well unless you crank down on it. If you're installing stainless steel, use tape or paste.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

what bout teff gel??
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've always used thread sealant with a lubricant to prevent galling.

If you tighten to proper specs, you'll never lose continuity between parts.

The problem arises from people needing to align pieces and instead of making the effort to tighten, they leave it loose or snug.

All salt water stuff used is bronze or on occasion red brass which is fairly hard.

Standard brass for fuel lines I always use heavy wall vs the cheap crap you get at the box home stores. Good thread cut and pitch is important both on male and female parts. You can't get that with the cheap crap.

I've never rung a thru hull or pipe fitting using 2 14" wrenches to tighten on 1" or above sizes.

If I really wanted to make it difficult for someone in the future, 5200 was used :). Good luck without a torch.