Shaft log replacment

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

alano

Shaft log replacment

Post by alano »

Hi all, am replacing the stuffing boxes with PSS gear and will replace the shaft logs while I have the shafts out. What would be the best procedure? I'm thinking 5200 fast on the outside flange, tighten down "pretty hard" the first day and crank down the following day? Should thread lock be applied? Thanks, Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you use the old tubes you have the right technique. I doubt thread lock will be necessary as there will be 5200 on the threads. The better way to do it is to glass in fiberglass tubes in place of the old bronze ones. Capt. Pat has a good segment on that in his "Building Tips" section of the website. You will love the PSS seals. Just don't step on them or drop anything on them. You will need cooling water from your engine raw water system to pipe to them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Alan,
That the procedure I did last month rebeding them.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Are the shaft logs bad, or do you just want new ones?

I installed PSS this spring as well and did not replace the logs. "If it aint broke....."
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
alano

Post by alano »

Thanks guys, the frp tube would be nice but I'm time short this year. The orginals are a pretty blue, corrosion-wise and are probably OK - I'm figuring if I replace them now, maybe these'll last another 35 years and I'll long gone by then or at last be past worrying about them. I need to replace the plywood shelf where the AC compressors sit so it's just good timing other than being close to August. br, Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA