Starboard question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

Starboard question

Post by Greg A. »

Never worked with it, looking to make a "swapout" front bench seat for my 15 whaler for fishing. Take out the mahogany seat replace with starboard which will have a couple 0 degree rodholders in front of the console, cutting board. Will 1" starboard flexx too much for a seat? would only be used for fishing trips, mahogany replaced for putting around and tubing etc.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I think it will bend.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

If you can find a true 1" piece of starboard it might be OK, but it would flex a lot more than wood. I think 3/4" would definitely flex too much. It is also rather expensive, and it won't accept paint or most adhesives.. I have found only 1 adhesive that will stick to it, but it a two part urethane and difficult to use. I looked at building some things for my boat with it but gave up because while it won't rot it isn't very "user friendly". It makes great carving or fish cleaning boards and tables, but that is all I use it for.

I have taken Capt Pat's advice and now use PVC "lumber" for things that don't require a lot of strength but need to be rot proof. It is available in board form from the big box builder's supply stores, and I found a local builder's supply company that stocks 4' x 8' PVC sheet in 3/8" and 3/4". You can glue it with epoxy and paint it, and it is a lot cheaper than starboard.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

One inch doesn't have much flex to it over a short distance. It's pretty heavy, and if you can drill and thru-bolt the ends, it's pretty damn strong.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Marlin

starboard

Post by Marlin »

u can glue a couple of 3/4 pcs together{pvc} and maybe laminate a piece of 1708 in the middle, capt pat has discussed the compression issue in some of his earlier post, do a test strip and find out
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Greg:

Have you thought about maybe just through bolting a 1/2" or 3/8" thick piece of starboard over the existing mahogany bench, you can round its edges with a cove type router bit ?
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

It has been noted in the past and I have found it to be true that starboard is somewhat porous and tends to pick up and hold dirt. I'd be hesitant to use it for a horizontal surface for that reason.
Face

Post by Face »

I think you're passenger will be trampolined out of the boat. Even mahogany flexes in that application and I've seen that broken in the middle from "jumping" a 13 whaler.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

the dirt issue is defenatly a problem, and a pain in the ass
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Starboard makes a decent throw away cutting board. Beyond that it's crap...
Dug

Post by Dug »

Way, way too heavy. Bendy. Not a great application.
Face

Post by Face »

And that would be "your", not you're...where is my coffee?
Carl

Post by Carl »

I really don't like boogerboard for anything.

Leave it out in the weather and it gets filthy, then its hard to clean.

To keep it from warping and twisting you need to spent more time making the correct supporting then it worth.

A buddy made an overhead electronics cabinet out of the stuff...great job...but you can see sags on the underside where it was not fastened...and that is just from the weight of the material itself.
Greg A.

thanks for the input

Post by Greg A. »

I ended up making a cutting board that will fit on the top of a 5 gal bucket. after seeing your responses, starboard is out. Had maiden fishing trip last week to Cape May back bay and bridges. 11yo son had a blast catching flatties and sea bass. boat ran great and was PERFECT for what we wanted to do. I need to pick up some rail mount rod holders, as its a super sport with the rail all the way around the boat. once they are on, we are set!
Face

Post by Face »

Greg, Be careful not to overtighten your clamp-on rod holders. They can crush your rails before you know it.

Congrats on the fishing with your son. The 15 is a great boat for what you're doing and a huge step up from the classic 13. I grew up with an 11 and we now have the 15 sport like you, an 18 outrage, and a 27 outrage. You think my family likes whalers? Also been working on restoring a B28 for the past, prefer not to say how many, years. Enjoy it.
-Joe