Dorade boxes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

Dorade boxes

Post by spencer »

Was curious about the dorade boxes and is it necessary to have with diesel power (315), presently rebuilding a 31, I personally like the appearance and see the benefits for increase in air volume, is there any negatives to them , such as more salt air/moisture, and or less strength to the hull.

thanks
Spencer
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Craig the capts induction system is probably more dry than the factory system because of the drain system he incororated, I had a dude help me that could probably do yours at a resonable rate, let me know, u gotta go see my hardtop at palm beach towers, whats your status
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Spencer,

Capt. Patrick and Bruce handled my repower with the 315 Yanmars, and they concluded that the B-31 factory set-up for air induction was sufficient for the Yanmars. I experienced no performance problems with the stock arrangement over the 9 years I had the boat. I believe I've read on the Board here that the Cummins engines require more air induction than the Yanmars.

Tommy
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tommy is correct. Yanmars can get by with stock intakes but Cummins do require more air.
Harv
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Got no problem with air.. Ive got the Cummins 330s..turning up 2950..theres all kinds of nooks & crannies in the cockpit all the way back to the transom.. Ive sealed up alot of that factory "leak"with my new deck & doing away with the cockpit side boards.. still,.no problemo..
Wayne.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks guys for the info,

Seems that it is not necesarry although it looks nice.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Spencer,

So, which diesels are you going with?
spencer

Post by spencer »

Tommy,

Im planning on yanmar 315, but Its way out, but somthing in that hp range, have not purchased anything at this point , just trying to plan for the future.
At the present the boat is stripped out and have had the engine beds reinforced, purchased some items from cabrerra , v-berth and the deck support kit, and I am having them installed, so was trying to plan if I was going to put them in during the process.
Cabrerra was against putting them in (the dorade boxes) so thats why I posted the question
Marlin

dorade boxes

Post by Marlin »

what was cabrerra rational against there use
spencer

Post by spencer »

ialthough it was translated that the salt air could be easier to get to the motors or mist, I personally thought maybe a strength issue.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have no boxes but mine leaks like a siv
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

when I cut them out, I was amazed at the thickness, 1/4 >, mucho strong hull and capy pat knows the hull integrity well