Need some ice machine advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Need some ice machine advice

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey Faithful - I have an old Whirlpool under the counter ice machine at the camp that seems to have crapped out this morning. Its the kind that freezes a slab of ice then releases it to slide out on a grid of heated wires and the little cubes drop thru the grid into the bin.

Anyway, when I turn it on it makes a loud soft, fast clicking noise from the compressor area for a few seconds then the internal breaker clicks the compressor off. One time the compressor ran for about a minute with no clicking and then the internal breaker shut it off. The clicking sounds like a relay chattering. I did not have time to really get into it this morning other than taking the front grille off and shooting everything with CX. The little compressor has a rectangular box on the side that looks like its held on with a clip and the wires go in that. I have an identical ice machine here at home in the shop so can describe parts or send photos.

I've never seen a problem the collective wisdom of the Faithful can't trouble shoot, so your help is appreciated.

Put 53 gal. of diesel in AJ this morning to fill her up at a staggering 2.59 a gal. We now have only have one place on the Tickfaw selling diesel, and it shows. rip, rip, rip.......

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,
That box on the side of the compressor houses the relay commonly refered to as a Klixon.

If the Klixon was bad, compressor would not start but the breaker would remain on.

Most of those small units have no capacitor, but some do. If it was bad, you would hear the compressor trying to start, then possibly trip the breaker on drawing too high a start current.

It sounds like the compressor is locked up as it trips the breaker.
If this was an ice machine in the camp shop, might it have been flooded and could it be just electrical corrosion?

The metal strap pops off over the box on the side of the compressor. The front sides should stick up, push down and put a screw driver under a side and pry.

There are 3 pins that stick out of the compressor of which the Klixon slides onto.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Bruce. Yep, it's the ice machine in the camp shop but it did not flood since it's up on a stand about 3 feet. I'll pull the Klixon cover off and first douse it in CX then if that does not work get a new Klixon. The compressor will run a little before the internal breaker shuts it down, so it's not totally locked up.

If the Klixon is chattering, would that make the internal breaker pop? Like flipping the compressor on & off in rapid fire might? And where do I get a new Klixon? There are a few appliance parts places here and I've gotten some parts for the same kind of ice machine from them, like the cooling fan.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,
A bad Klixon will do it. They can be had at any appliance parts places and are cheap.

Usually if the compressor is bad, the klixon will click once on over current with the breaker tripping, not continous click.

Just check voltage and current at the compressor.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks again Bruce. Just called an appliance parts place and they knew instantly waht I needed. They sell an aftermarket unit that replaces both the klixon and internal breaker for $23. Plugs into the three pins on the compressor and then you wire the two hots to it. Worth a try for sure.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Bruce - just got the aftermarket Klixon. It's a 3 in one deal with a capacitor, the relay, and the overload all in one little unit. Instructions say to hook the 3 various colored wires up to the compressor pins, one to the "start" pin, one to the "run" and the other to the "common". I understand the terms and colors, but are the pins on the compressor marked? As you know, I don't see too good, so will take some gizmos to magnify the compressor pin area, just need some heads up on what to look for.

The other two wires are the 120 volt line voltage to the 3 in one unit, and guess I can figure that out and pull them out of the little original wire harness to the compressor pretty easy with my voltmeter checking off the on/off switch for the ice machine.

Thanks,

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Depending on compressor maker, the pins are usually marked on the plastic cover or the compressor itself and are not generally well displayed.

If you can't find, give me the make and model and I'll let you know.