Starboard Shifter cable length

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capn' Tony

Post by Capn' Tony »

Hi All, 2 years ago I got lucky and found a 504 Cummins rebuilt with no hours on it same rotation. I did the refit myself and it has been great. The only thing was the shifter cable was very tight and finally this year gave way. Does anyone know the cable length for '31 FBC,Straboard engine to a velvet dirve tranny. Yes all original. Thank you in advance.
Thanks
Capn' Tony
capt2kids

cable

Post by capt2kids »

Cap"n Tony:
If I read right, the existing cable is still there? but just a little too short?
look at the old cable, it has the length stamped on it. Just a add a few feet to it. I had a similar thing on mine this year. I bought it, and taped it to the old one, and it pulled right in. An easy job.
bob k
Capn' Tony

Post by Capn' Tony »

Thanks Bob. yes the cable is still there. I was thinking of taping it and pulling it through once I snip all the ties. I think it comes through the cabin up in the headliner I have to look closer. The cable that's there is the proper length it tightend up and won't shift properly. Glad to know the length is on it would not have thought of that.

Thanks Again
Thanks
Capn' Tony
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I just replaced both shift cables on my B33. The lengths of both the old and new cables were stamped or printed on the ends of each cable jacket.

Don't remove the old cable until you are ready to run the new one. Go to a good hardware store and get a threaded rod connector (a piece of metal hex about 2" long on the outside with a threaded hole down the center) with the same threads as your cable end (I am thinking 10-32 threads, but check to be sure). Attach the two cables together using the connector, then when you pull out the old cable you are pulling in the new cable at the same time.

I wish I could claim this discovery as mine, but someone here mentioned it about 6-9 months ago. It works great!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tony

For my Morse single controls, running to 270 Cummins, we ran 16', 18', 20 and 21' cables. The longer cables run down the port side and the shorter ones down the starboard since the controls are on that side.

Hope that helps.