bluefin tuna

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

bluefin tuna

Post by bob lico »

brewster and the rest of wolfpack; just east of chicken canyon on 30 fath/line . nice size tuna on the troll , 5 knt. with skirted ballyhoo.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

There are some giants on Coxes ledge in the corner 30 Fathoms
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Thanks Bob heading that way this Saturday for Mako Mania.
Last year we kill the bfins on the way home. One mako and a couple of bfins and some bigeyes. You know.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

One small tuna and a 250lb mako on the troll at the Glory hole this weekend. Mako hit the bird off the center rigger. Never considered trolling for shark.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Years ago in the heyday of shark fishing, I had a friend out of Shinnecock who would slow troll whole rigged Mackerel from his outriggers rather than chum. He claimed the strikes were dramatic and explosive. He far preferred fishing for them that way. Claimed he didn't have to deal with Blue Sharks either.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Ed a 250 pound mako could get you some big money this weekend.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i agree with charlie that a big find these days and on the troll a real great day . i have seen guys do it with mako the targeted species ,they had rig for it but chance luck on plastic you better play the lottery tonight.---------------------great job!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

sounds like a good day!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

there were thick black clouds on the horizon so we pick up and left while my son and crew prepare tuna. i don`t like coming in like a bat out of hell .we came all the way in at 31 knots and then i hit the fire island inlet with some bad ass weather behind me i kick it up to 34 knots and the lightning ,thunder and heavy rain hit as we docked .i went back today a checked boat oh my god did i burn fuel at that speed .from a normal 18 gallons a hour i surpassed 30 gallons a hour.very expensive fish!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I slow troll dead blue fish that I rig on wire. I gut and spine them. Then push a screwdriver down thru their heads between their eyes. I rig the first hook thru the hole between their eyes with an egg sinker on the bottom with a loop that lets their head go back and forth. Off the shank of that hook I rig a stinger hook and sew it in by the butt. Then sew the whole thing shut so it does not wash out. I troll three of them. One out of each rigger and one down the middle all at differant lengths, port 50 yards star 100 and middle 150 at 5 knots. With the spine out they swim like the real deal. You have to make sure each one is swimming right and that can take some time but the results is worth it. Tow them around at 40 fathoms and it will not be long before all hell breaks loose. Some one needs to be ready to drop back if a thresher shows up and I mean drop back big time because it takes them a while to get it in that small mouth. A least thats how I saw it done on TV.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

If there is no drift this weekend I will trolling bfish. I set out 3-4, but one is always at 50-100 feet down. I use a break-away weight. I lost a downrigger ball many years ago and figure a mako got it. I try to put a small one at depth, thresher country and mako trying to stay cool.