Photo Gallery of a '61 31' Modified Open Fisherman

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ITcookY

Photo Gallery of a '61 31' Modified Open Fisherman

Post by ITcookY »

First Boat Seen- "Just Leslie" (Pseudonym)
I was able to see this boat Yesterday. I am quite pleased with my initial inspection of this modified Bertram Open Fisherman, built in 1961. There was no Gator Skin Gel Coat visible from 10 feet away.
Don't ask where it's located, I won't tell.

The boat looks beautiful IMHO. The engines are new. The deck supports, I saw, were bone dry 2" x 4"s. this boat is open with no cover and the bilge was dry (below the pump). We had quite a bit of rain in the afternoon thunderstorms this week.

There few things that need to be fixed. The only rot I saw was in the Cabin (leaking from the Fly-Bridge) See Photo.
The fuel tank appears to be fiberglass, there is a water leak from the fly-bridge into the cabin, the replaced Plexiglas windows leak. The access holes are of the Plastic Variety but the cockpit sole has been replaced with glass. She is ready for her Sea-Trial and Survey. The owner used to run a repair business in the Marina. Take a look.

http://www.photosbylaraine.com/WebPhotoGallery/

John Ritchie
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

If its the original glass tank it will need to be replaced due to the ethanol issue. Doug Q's Short Circuit is a diesel boat with similar - actually better - features and a tower for very reasonable money, and you might want to take a look at her....Pensacola.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Why would you do that to the engine boxes??????
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Ditto on that! If Florida has ethanol, the damage may very well be on it's way. Ethanol has already flowed through those engines and lines. You are going to HAVE TO lift the deck, replace the tank and ALL fuel lines, that's going to add a lot to the price of the boat. If you think you'll get away with using the boat for a while without doing that, you will join a group of us who ended up paying a big price and loss of use of their boat for that kind of thinking. In my case it was on my 20, it was one engine and it still cost me $14 grand before it was all over. Doug Q's Short Circuit is not beautiful, it's magnificent! If I was 20 years younger, I'd sell the Bluebeard and buy his.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If the engine box's where similar to my 62 Express I can understand.

My box is one big enclosure with two access hatches on top...big, and heavy and if you need more access then the top hatch provides you need to pull off helm chair, center panel, two steps, two hatches then get on top of the motor to lift and slide it to center then lift it back onto the deck and pivot it vertical. Add some sound insulation and it is backbreaking.

I'll add if your running gas you need to change out the tank.

Boat needs lots of TLC.

His modification to the lower frames looks nice from outside...but leaves a good deal to be desired from inside...and now it's custom-ish ( a fix gone arwy)

If your happy with it then that is all that counts...but you have something with less then ideal modifications...at least in my opinion. Looks like lots of quick fixs over the years.
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

Vicroy wrote:If its the original glass tank it will need to be replaced due to the ethanol issue. Doug Q's Short Circuit is a diesel boat with similar - actually better - features and a tower for very reasonable money, and you might want to take a look at her....Pensacola.

UV
Probably the Orginal Gas Tank. The person who did the work passed away recently.
Capt Q has a beautiful boat with all the right stuff. I wish I could afford it. Enjoy your trip to Sugarloaf.
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

Rawleigh wrote:Why would you do that to the engine boxes??????
I don't know what the originals are like. What do you mean? these covers pop right up to allow easy access for light maintenance. A hook is there to hold them up. I thougt is was quite nice, but this is the first boat I have seen. John
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

walterk wrote:Ditto on that! If Florida has ethanol, the damage may very well be on it's way. Ethanol has already flowed through those engines and lines. You are going to HAVE TO lift the deck, replace the tank and ALL fuel lines, that's going to add a lot to the price of the boat. If you think you'll get away with using the boat for a while without doing that, you will join a group of us who ended up paying a big price and loss of use of their boat for that kind of thinking. In my case it was on my 20, it was one engine and it still cost me $14 grand before it was all over. Doug Q's Short Circuit is not beautiful, it's magnificent! If I was 20 years younger, I'd sell the Bluebeard and buy his.
The Gas tank was very low on fuel when I saw it. The dissolved tank lining could very well be on its way to hurt those beautiful engines. I was thinking that I could get away with using the boat for awhile without replacing the tank. I needed to hear that from you.

Somehow I think you like the DQ's boat. Yes, it does have the underwater lights already doesn't it. Thanks
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

sim wrote:If the engine box's where similar to my 62 Express I can understand.

My box is one big enclosure with two access hatches on top...big, and heavy and if you need more access then the top hatch provides you need to pull off helm chair, center panel, two steps, two hatches then get on top of the motor to lift and slide it to center then lift it back onto the deck and pivot it vertical. Add some sound insulation and it is backbreaking.

I'll add if your running gas you need to change out the tank.

Boat needs lots of TLC.

His modification to the lower frames looks nice from outside...but leaves a good deal to be desired from inside...and now it's custom-ish ( a fix gone arwy)

If your happy with it then that is all that counts...but you have something with less then ideal modifications...at least in my opinion. Looks like lots of quick fixs over the years.

Thanks for your feedback. I will be looking at another 31 this weekend. I think the same story holds trure fot it. I wll post pictures of it.

John
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

There are several fueling spots on ICW (Pompano-just north of Atlantic) that say it is ethanol free, but how do you really know ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

the thing about ethanol is it is not added at the refinery but right before delivery. if its not state law its quite possible to find gas without it.
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

I know someone that works for one of the holding companies here in Florida, I can ask him if there is source. Thanks