BIG ROCK

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

BIG ROCK

Post by Russ Pagels »

The winner of the Big Rock fishing tournament in North Carolina was disqualified today because the mate did not have a NC fishing license. money lost,$912,825 for first place, plus 300k and change for bring in the first Bule marlin to be weighted.cost of license $15.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

priceless
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Somebody lost a trailer.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And to add insult to injury everyone will trash talk them for years!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

That is not the end of story, the lawyers are now lining up for a 400K payoff, ( theirs ) ask VicRoy.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I'm just wondering what if any obligations the Tourney organizers have in making sure that all entrants have the correct license. They do have certain responsibilities that all is correct. How many other boats did not have everyone licensed? I'm sure that will be brought up in appeal. That 900K is a lot of money to lose, I would pursue all avenues of redress.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I guess they didn't have a boat license that covered everyone onboard like you can get here in Virginia?

http://www.thebigrock.com/news/2010/06/ ... ss-release
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Big Rock rules say everyone has to have a license including Capt. & Mate. I think everyone assumed that the charter blanket license would cover. But each person, I think is required to have a individual license. There are all kind of rummors out there. We'll just have to wait and here what the ruling is.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ouch.............sad but true. The times in the past when I was at the Captain's Meeting (as a mate), the committee went over the rules in great detail. They always asked if anyone had any questions, and they always emphasized that the LAST thing they wanted to do was disqualify a fish over a rules infraction. This year they emphasized "Don't cost yourself a lot of money over a $15 license". Before being disqualified, Citation's 883 lb. blue marlin was the first place fish, which was worth $999,500. The second place boat was moved up to winner and collected the prize money.

Tommy

Press Release- June 22, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By thebigrock - Posted on 22 June 2010

June 22, 2010

PRESS RELEASE

After interviewing members of the crew of the fishing vessel “Citation”, review of the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament rules, consulting the division of Marine Fisheries as well as the North Carolina Attorney General’s office, it is apparent that there has been a substantial violation of Tournament rules. The Board of Directors has unanimously determined that they have no choice but to disqualify the 883 pound blue marlin caught on June 14, 2010. The rule violation did not involve “dishonesty” or “cheating” on the part of the owners or angler of the “Citation”.

The rule violation involves the “mate” not having a Coastal Recreational Fishing License. This license is required by North Carolina law. It is required by the Tournament as written in our rules. Participants and crew were reminded of the license requirement at the Captains meeting prior to the Tournament. The mate engaged in fishing activities without a valid license and later obtained a license at 5:51 pm while heading to the weigh station. The fish was boated at 3:16 pm.

This is an unfortunate situation for the crew of “Citation” as well as the Tournament itself. For the integrity of the Tournament, Big Rock has no choice but to enforce the rules and disqualify the fish.

Because of this disqualification, The Big Rock Board of Directors declare Carnivore in 1st Place with their 528.3 pound blue marlin and in 2nd Place Wet-N-Wild with their 460 pound blue marlin.

Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament Board of Directors-
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sounds like someone dropped a dime on him, optaining a licence at 5:51
Dug

Post by Dug »

What do you think? The second place boat dropped the dime? ;)
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Well that sucks BUT if what was posted is true and it was discussed at the Captains meeting they are SOL!

If you are tournament fishermen than it is INEXCUSABLE to have something like this happen.

Furthermore to then buy the license after the fact I dont know if that helps their case or hurts it.

If this does go to trial it will be a civil type trial and probably decided by a jury of ordinary people and IMHO it doesnt look good for them.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dug
it was stated in tommys post that he obtained the licence at 5:51, who else would have known that besides himself?? somebody sure did know
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

In my post I provided a cut & paste of the official press release by the tournament. From other news sources it was reported that the fishing license issue came out during formal questioning during a polygraph exam. At the end of the tournament, each of the top money-winners in the tournament are required to submit to a polygraph exam where they are questioned about various rules, etc. When asked if he could confirm that all members of the fishing team had a valid license, the captain reportedly gave the honest answer of "no". Based on this, the public records on State fishing licenses were accessed which showed the 5:51 PM purchase of the license on the day the fish was caught. In a news report today, the mate stated that prior to the trip he was unaware that he was required to have an individual license. Evidently on the ride in with the big fish, they rounded up a copy of the rules and, realizing their error, purchased a fishing license "after the fact". I've made much bigger blunders in my life, just not with similar consequences.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks for the clarification tommy
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I can tell you from experience that, rules are rules are rules and you don't change at ALL after the tournament is over. The rules committee can hold a special meeting during the Captains meeting if a rule needs to be explained or changed. But you must file a written complaint before the tournament ends if you have a problem and need a rules comittee vote before the Tournament ends.

The Captains Meeting is the most important meeting to attend when Tournament fishing period. Your SOL if you don't attend and especially the (Captain) who is the ONE all the shit falls on and RESPONSIBLE for the Boat & Crew, PERIOD!, end of story. So don't blame the mate, blame the Captain. Welcome to Tournament Fishing, Shit Happens! Just hope its not your crew & boat in that position.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!