pressure water on board

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

pressure water on board

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Well Faithful, I finally got tired of screwing around with the hand water pumps at the galley and head sinks so decided to install pressure water on AJ. Decided to use the KISS method. Northern Tool has a one GPM diaphragm pressure pump, with 40 psi pressure switch, for under $40...their model #2681040 and I got two of them. Next got two Jabsco faucets with a built in 12v switch, their model #42520-0000, ordered from boatfix.com for about $25 each. I used 5/16 ID clear vinyl tubing for the suction and discharge as it fits the 3/8 hose barbs on the pump and faucet better than 3/8 ID tubing. So each faucet has its own little pump since the faucets don't have valves....click on the switch built in the faucet and the pump comes on, click it again and its off. My existing hand pumps - Perkos - had a 2" hole in the counter tops so I had to make a separate bezel for the Jabsco faucet out of some scrap Starboard to trim it out. Lots of pressure and plenty of flow. And 3/8" ID clear vinyl hose will slip snugly over the faucet, and with a simple shower head on the other end you have an instant cold water shower.

The whole shooting match, including two in line fuze holders, etc was less than 125 and a way better result than the fancy stuff. Kiss.

Heading to the camp to water the pot plants before we head to the keys on Tuesday...life is hell in the swamps.

Oh yeah, the bird murderers are leaving today for their annual slaughter in Bolivia. We are the Mean Team after all......

UV
neil

Post by neil »

you are getting pretty fancy in your old age,keep up the good work hope to see you and andre in greenport
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Vic,
Would like to meet you if you are going to be in my area. I live in Marathon and the boat is in the water. You would not object to going for a ride in a Hyena boat would ya? It's no 31 but what the heck. Maybe we could try to get the other keys fellas together for a drink or ten. Buju you got your ears on?
Buju

Post by Buju »

Roger that Kevin. Ears are on and receiving nicely.
I'm all for it, sounds like a great idea. Been wanting to see that slick 28 and those steyrs of yours for a long while now anyhow.
Meeting ya'll as well would be great. Lemme know what I can do.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Kevin:

I got a feeling UV will have you sign a confidentiality contract before he sets foot aboard your B28.....................otherwise a photo please - preferably a running shot of you up on step showing UV enjoying the nice dry ride ass down in the stern..................
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
In Memory of Vicroy

Me ride on a 28? The prettiest one I ever saw is Eddy's Gotta Go....now that's a real Hyena Boat.

Sure, you guys gimme a shout, 225 937 1319....we are flying into Key West Tuesday and will be at my sis's house on Sugar Loaf for a week. Doing nothing and usually not starting that til noon.....

UV
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sounds good. We need to get JB onboard as well. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we do not get too much rain.

Here is link to a handful of photos from start to finish and not in order.
The password is Bertram.

http://s189.photobucket.com/home/1kevinmehegan/index

Most recent have the Bimini top and she is really draggin a$$. This was the trip across the Straights heavily loaded.
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Hi UV

I was wondering where your fresh water tank was on ur boat. I have the sport fish model, and no fresh water at all, and I want to at least have a small tank for washing my hands.
Did Bertram mount them in that plastic trough as soon as you step into the cabin?The hatch next to the dinette as soon as you step in there.

Good luck in the Keys, relax and enjoy yourself.
bob k
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bob: My factory installed fiberglass tank is under the hatch as you step in the door. It is butted up against the bulkhead between the two hatches.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Rawleigh:

Thanks for the info. I have to fine a suitable tank that fits there. It feels so weird not to have water on the boat. Fix her up, a little at a time.
bob k
In Memory of Vicroy

Bob - mine ('72 FBC) is in the same place as Rawleigh's. Tempo makes all kinds of plastic tanks with 'v' bottoms so finding one should not be a big deal...the factory tank is 18 gallons. Now to fill it, you have to raise the hatch, unscrew the big brass plug on top, then stick the hose in til it overflows. I'm going to add a garden hose fitting inlet to fill it without having to go to all that trouble. Thinking about cutting a "T" into the water line at one of the faucets between the new pump and the tank and figure the pump would act as a check valve?

Looking for ideas on how the Faithful would do it.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

UV: I put a Beckson screw in deck plate on mine so that I can get inside to scrub it well and clean out any loose matter. It also makes filling easier. Sometimes a little water will leak past it in rough seas, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

I'm trying to eliminate having to raise the hatch and bring the hose inside. Altho, taking the nozzle off the hose and sticking it down to the bottom of the tank and letting it run for a long time to overflow really changes the water in the tank good. I'm even thinking about getting the right size plastic threaded plug to replace the original bronze one, drill it for a half inch plastic fitting with a 90 hose barb for the inlet hose and a second little hose barb for the overflow to tell when its full....maybe use a drop pipe like a fuel tank pickup to get the new water to the bottom of the tank to flush it and let it overflow thru the smaller tube.

Give me something to engineer while sipping clears in a hammock in the keys.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I put a vent in mine using a plastic 90 degree thru hull type fitting. if you install the deck plate you can use the same style fitting to make up your deck fill system and vent.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31