Banjo Washers- Lucas Cav

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Banjo Washers- Lucas Cav

Post by scenarioL113 »

I traced a small leak on my cav IP and it seems to be coming from a banjo fitting.

It only drip when running but is enough that I need to correct it asap. This particular fitting is one of the 4 (four cylinder in my case) and is where fuel LEAVES the IP. Right before the threads where the injector line screws on.
I did not want to disturb things too much because I was not prepared to fix it today. I did loosen the banjo bolt and removed a washer to see and it looked OK but I do understand they "crush" and form the seal.

There is numerous layers of paint and it appeared that there were 2 washers on top each other.

Could that be right? What is the proper orientation washer, then fuel line, then washer and then banjo bolt through all???

Where may I find a place that I can get these banjo washers??? beside cummins dealer?

Long Island??? Internet? I would like to bring old one to compare, I am not sure of exact size.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Ripsangler

Lucas Cav

Post by Ripsangler »

I just dealt with a fuel leak on my Lucas Cav. It was coming from the throttle arm. I removed it and since it was a sealed unit I had a N.J. Diesel repair company replace the seal to the tune of $300. Be careful opening it up yourself.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You got a bargain!
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I believe they use those fittings in the the forktruck reels.Try Moreland hose in Oakdale, 631-563-7071. Or Island Hose and Seal in Deer Park, 631-242-2900.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Usually the washers sandwich the banjo fitting. They are usually copper. Make sure that they are flat.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Got a friend right near you that does pumps and Injectors.
his name is Derek he'll fix you right up pm for #.
Last edited by 34Hatt on Jun 24th, '10, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

It turns out NOT to be the banjo fittings. The leak is actually coming from the control cover gasket. That is the cover that the throttle and shutdown levers come up through.

There is a few layers of paint and it was following the gasket and was hard to see. It definitely is not from the linkage. The cover actually appears to be slightly off center and is probably contributing to the leak.

How does this cover come off?

There does not seem to be anything retaining it unless the throttle and shutdown stems are shouldered in such a way the nuts are holding the cover down.....if the throttle lever is removed it could allow this cover to be removed and gasket replaced???

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET