Anchor light mounting ideas?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

Anchor light mounting ideas?

Post by Greg A. »

Not a Bert, but 15 Whaler. Looking to replace the fixed anchor light with one with the mounting base and stowable pole. How to mount the base? I don't want to drill a giant hole in the gunnel. Thinking of a block of teak mounted to the inside of the transom, the drill out the teak for the anchor light base.

Any other suggestions? If not, anyone have a scrap block of teak lying around large enough flush mount the base?

Thanks.
Greg A.

follow up

Post by Greg A. »

If anyone has a block of teak, I will gladly buy it or make a donation to the site! I forgot that in the other message!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

On my 16' Whaler I had a simple socket and light pole I bought from West as a kit with the light pole. It only needed a 3/4" or 1" dia hole in the stbd aft corner of the gunwale (plus two screws).

When I was not using it I stored it in the rod rack on the stbd side of the hull.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Marlin

anchor lite

Post by Marlin »

what size do you need, Ican probably send you some
Greg A.

The socket and pole...

Post by Greg A. »

Thats what I'm looking at, the socket and pole style...but it PAINS ME to drill a 3/4 to 1" hole in the gunnel of this near stock whaler! I'm sure it will be a cleaner install too, but stll I hate to do it!
Buju

Post by Buju »

Suck it up Greg... Get out the paddle bit, or hole saw.
If you mount a block of teak, then you'll still have three or four screw holes and the hole for the wiring. And, it'll look very "added on"... especially after a while when the teak is greyed... unless you've got tons of teak on it allready.
Drill the hole, mount it in the corner where the gunwhale meets the transom. Put down a bead of 5200, crack a beer, and call it done.

OR

get a small/short light like the Hella Marine folding anchor light, or the fixed
Image Image
and run the wiring with the outboard wiring, up the inside of the cowling, and mount the light on the top of the outboard cowling. Then you dont have to worry about stowing the big ol pole, and the corrosion that is always an issue at the contacts. Just flip a switch and let there be light.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Buju

Post by Buju »

This would be a viable option as well, telescopic anchor light. Same style as a removable pole light, but the pole retracts into the gunnel.
the only limitation would be the freeboard on the 15' whaler, I know the 15 doesn't have much freeboard.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Greg:

Can you not swap out the base for the fixed anchor light you have now with a base instead for an anchor light with a removeable/stowable pole ?

What model 15' Whaler do you have and where's the anchor light now ?

I used to direct wire an anchor light to the battery when I had my 17' Whaler Super Sport - the light was on a 4' pole with 6' leads and I would connect it to the battery and prop it up against the gunnel railing when needed.Then disconnect/take home when not.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Greg A.

Can go oem

Post by Greg A. »

I can go oem, have the original light stand off/and brackets mounted to the boat. Having a hard time finding a QUALITY light with stailness pole so I was going to go aftermarket.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

try checking with a local whaler dealer... i know the stuff is a fortune on ebay, but youre not always going to get the best deal on there, sometimes they mark them up intentionally b/c people dont think of going right to the dealer... I went through the same thing when I replaced the rubrail on my old montauk... ebay wanted 250 and the dealer was something like 175...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan