Cleats

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Cleats

Post by Capt.Frank »

I am tired of the tripping on the spring cleats. I am thinking about flush or pop up cleats. I am looking at 8" Attwood and Accon both make a studded clean looking cleat. Any one have any experence with either? The accon looks flusher. Attwood shows a closed height of 2". But I don't know how long the spring will hold up on the other.

http://www.acconmarine.com/p-19-pop-up-cleat.aspx

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... unter-Sunk

Thanks
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have had a Accon push-button on the bow of my Carolina Skiff for over 5 years and it has been perfect. A shot of CX every Spring around the button keeps it fine. I have two lift-ups on the stern of my B-20 and they work OK except feel less sturdy. I have had no problems with them, but haven't been through any storms with them either.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Out of curiosity, how much is an 8" pop up cleat?

JR
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

This is what I have, in 8". They are about .16" from being truly flush.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2. ... duct=L9677

No problem with strength, and no springs to break. The only design flaw is that they don't drain. But that's what drills are for......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Buju

Post by Buju »

I've got two Accon pop up bow lights, a few Accon pop up cleats, and a couple of the Accon fold up/down cleats.
The quality is there on all their products.
Their pop up items are the most flush, and they can be ordered w/ drain cups as well.
The folding cleats are nice as well, and less $$, but do have a slight vertical profile, similar to what Mike mentioned. But when you're used to a big ol 8" cleat being there, that .16" is nothing.
My impression is that the pop ups are stronger than the fold downs, but I have nothing to back it up, they just seem that way.

I don't know about the Attwoods, but I know I'm not a fan of their bilge pumps.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I have what looks like the Attwood 8" on Dreamsicle because I got tired of broken toes. Found them on the internet (probably Ebay) and they are truly flush. One of the small but great changes made. They do require a drain, mine drain into Capt. Pat's induction air boxes. Pictures on request.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

By the way, I've had 5/8" twisted spring lines snap in the marina. No problems with the cleats.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

want ever mike says!!!! we have identical the set up because i have seen the pop up`s go bad in the down position and i " tested" mine by doing a favor and dropping a couple at the local waterfront bar well one thing lead to another and i had a rookie on the boat when i left damm he had a 5/8 line still connected as a spring line on those cleats .snap with a slight movement of the boat i looked back .no damage what so ever . and there are 316ss recessed into epoxy pocket in gunnel---------strong like bull!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

ACCON has the best design and execution of any popup cleat style I've found. I used the push button model on "Buddy Boy" but the pull up version on Hancock's B31. I prefer the pull up since it's straight forward and simple. No "switch blade" mechanism to possibly go bad.

Like Mikey, these drain into the side air vent dorade box, but have an optional waterproofing cup.

accon marine 8" slimline cleat 304-8 316 SS

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

real nice captain that will do the trick ,nothing to go wrong.buttons,pins,springs always act up from salt water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

Accon marine has got a "scratch & dent" sale on several of their cleats, the ones I looked at seemed to be 1/2 price... not bad. Thought I'd give ya'll a heads up.
http://www.acconmarine.com/c-25-scratch-dent.aspx
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.