Egg on me face

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

Egg on me face

Post by Bill B »

Gents,

For the first time ever - not even as a 10 year old pushing around a tin boat - have I run out of fuel. Today it happened, and I am officially put back on JV.

So now the task of re-priming my Yanmar 6lps. I imagine I can disconnect just prior to the Racors and hook up an oil change pump - let the pump suck the fuel from the tank. Once I get fuel, re-connect to the Racors and start pumping the Racors. Once the Racors are full, start pumping the primaries on the engine. Sound like the most efficient way of doing it?

Bill the 9 year old
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Here is what I did on a new install (engines tank filters lines etc...)

I hooked a small 12v diesel pump right at the pickup from fuel tank and fed the entire system. The racors filled up and I cracked the fuel line where it hooks to the engine (in my case the lift pump) and this allowed all the air to purge from the system (including the racors).

I left pump running and started cranking engine for a few cycles of 7 or 8 seconds of cranking.

Now I cracked the injector nuts while cranking until fuel came out one at a time.

Then both engines fired up following same procedure.

Not too much cranking either!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Thanks Frank. I will give it a try.

Bill
Ric

.,.,.,.,.re/prime after running out .,.

Post by Ric »

Your steps sound good .,.,but screw off the racor and fill it with diesel, after you pull the fuel up from the tank with oil pump etc .,.,then you can pump your primary fuel filters.,.,.,.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also
when you re/do your raw water pumps and you will.,.,. Water side / oil side lip seals and o/rings etc,.,and impellar ., if they are air bound and wont pull the water from your sea strainer or the river/ocean . when you first start it after rebuild ,.,.,take off the raw water feed hose to the raw water pump and stick a garden hose into the opening of the pump on the sea water side and start your engine.
,.,it will immediately prime from the water in the hose
.,.,turn off the engine re/connect your hose and clamps.,.,and you are back in business