Bonitos

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Bonitos

Post by Hueso »

That's me on the rod........Two bonitos in two hours of fishing..and, of course, some sushi afterwards.....beautiful afternoon five miles from the NorthEast Coast of Puerto Rico........I can smell the Dorados coming!

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hueso - nice baits. Bonito as sushi? Man, the Sushi Police are gonna be all over you guys......

On the subject of bonito, many years ago when I was a rookie in offshore fishing, me & the 7 year old Capt. Brent got into a bunch of big bonito right offshore of Port Eads and thought they were tuna fish. Filled the boat up and went home. Butchering them was like killing a hog, blood everywhere. Grilled some and about as good as cutting down a gum ball tree in your back yard and trying to use it as firewood.....just sort of melts.....

UV
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

the old man has a trick for that...............also we did fish nuggets..........lots of tartar sauce and a mix of ketchup with mayo and garlic.....we call it: "mayoketchup".................I know bonito is not the best, but we were longing for some fish..............I'll let you know when the dorados come in...............and wahoo is already running.............nice dish that one....
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Those should be rigged up, not eaten. If you want rigging and troll instuctions for those let me know. I will supply asap
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Those look like skipjack tunas to me, not bonitos (little tunny). Skipjacks are MUCH better than bonitos.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Yep, those are Skipjack Tuna (Katsuwamus sp.). Its funny how local names for fish vary... I wonder how many different species of fish the world over are known as "bonito"? In Florida the Little Tunny (Euthynnus sp.) is incorrectly called bonito, and the true Bonito (Sarda sarda) are called all sorts of things...gets confusing.
I've had skipjack sashimi, the right cuts are really good. At least as good as Blackfin.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Sounds good to me to have a quick sushi while fishing :D
Is your 31 in Cangrejo Yacht Club ??
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Vic's right on. Fresh is the key and bleed em good right away but they are pretty low on the scale. Last time I trolled for Tuna and took a trolling pro to rig my outriggers up we caught 5 Bonito for every Blackfin Tuna. They threw them all back. Last trip I told them save the Bar Jack's (Lesser Amberjack or Banded Rudder Fish) for me. I got them smoked and seasoned from a Brazilain receipe and very very good from a local Smoke House Restuarant. I used to take a Philippine Surgen and he kept everything, even Baracuda. They know how to prepare just about anything from the sea. Always good to get out and catch fish no matter what comes up in my book. Enjoy that 31... Dave K
Keep Fishing...
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

Those are skipjack, they are real tuna. Most all canned tuna are skippies except solid white, which is albacore (aka longfin).
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

ZC:

No.....mine is at Puerto del Rey Marina....at the East part of the island, closer to the St. Thomas North Drop. Advantages of having the boat at the East is the beaches and access to El Conquistador Hotel.....my last Sunday was like this: first we stopped at Icacos Cay at 11:00 a.m. to clean my props, swim a while and have lunch. After lunch I rigged some "balajú"(balyhoo) and went out at about 2:00 p.m. and reached the fishing grounds at about 2:25 p.m...........worked the area for about two hours and a duplex of bonitos ("skip jacks, false albacore or whatever") hit the set. We started trolling in at about 4:15 p.m. and reached the marina of El Conquistador Hotel at 5:00 p.m. where my little sister jumped to the beautiful marina bar and restaurant and got us two Bushwalkers and a quesadilla while I fillet the fish........then back to Puerto del Rey.......................all this in a Bertram 31.........it is dificult to beat that?......... [/quote]
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Hueso I might see your boat when I go back home for the Holidays, yes I am BORICUA mi pana !!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

A comer lechon con la familia verdad?......Felicidades adelantadas.................Happy Holidays..................if you see me just hope in............do you have a boat down here?........or are you posted in the States and just visit during the holidays?..................Nice to know there are some Boricuas running with the Faithful
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Hey Hueso I just sent you a PM so I do not have to bore everybody here .