Swim Ladder

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Swim Ladder

Post by jackryan »

I know this has been covered before, but I could not find the post in archives. Can anyone recommend a good swim ladder for the 31 Bertram. I am looking for a temporary one that hooks over the gunwale and folds for storage. I've been going to Pontchartrain Beach and towing the kids behind the boat on one of those big tubes, and I end grabbing them by the arms and hauling them back on the boat like a flopping fish.

Thanks,

JR
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I installed a West Marine stainless steel removable ladder on top of my starboard gunwale. As you may appreciate from the photo, the brackets are mounted at the back. I've been through the 190 to 240 pounds area and it has hold for about 5 years without a problem. I had to slightly modified the resting/supporting legs by making them shorter to make it fit the bubble shape of the 31's hull. I looked through my pics but I did not find one with the ladder installed. I'll take pics later and post.

Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Another pic showing the brackets.....use only stainless steel screws and locknuts. When installing, use 5,200 liberally and later cut excess.

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I like this with the mount through bolted to the transom. You can adjust the angle of the ladder with a space block.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10398
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Hueso,

That may just work. I look forward to the pictures of the ladder.

Rawleigh,

I should have mounted one like that before I redid all of the panels around the cockpit. It would be a pain to open everything back up to mount one. I think Capt. Pat posted a pic of a ladder that hooks over the gunwale and folds up for storage.

JR
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am using a cheap hook over the gunnel ladder right now for exactly the same reason!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Rawleigh,

I think that's what I'm going to end up with. I had 14 people on the boat tonight (mostly kids). Had to sit out a thunderstorm, but after that it was a great evening. Pulled the kids on tubes until dark, then they swam for another 30 minutes. Since I don't have a ladder, I tied a rope to the stern for me to hold onto, while the kids stood on my legs to get out of the water. Coonass swim ladder. I'll try to post a few pics later. I bought the boat to fish marlin and tuna in the Gulf, but with the oil, I've had to change the plans and keep Decoy in the lake this summer.

JR
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I confess I bought a 12 foot diameter raft called the Relaxation Station. It covers the whole cockpit when I pull it onboard. It has 4 armchair like seats, a mesh footwell, drink holders and a rope ladder. It is a lot of fun to float in behind the boat when anchored. Cheap boating when you sit around at anchor and sip cold ones! My 8 year old stepson and wife love it though. The fishing trips will still happen, but we are enjoying the boat in a less work intensive way as well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31