Ebay Purchases

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kurt

Ebay Purchases

Post by Kurt »

Hey Guys,
Well, I'm an official member of the club if all this falls together. Bid and won a 20' Bertram on ebay for next to nothing...$750 in Corpus Christi.
Now, how do I handle this?? Growing up with computers I should be more tech savy than this. Are purchases through Ebay and paypal guaranteed? The guy has even offered to meet me in New Orleans for an additional fee. Obviously want to make sure I'm not sending money to some black hole.
If the seller is on here or if anyone knows him please don't be offended. If I don't try to cover my butt I know there is little I can do once the funds are sent. Thanks in advance for any advice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I would think that if both of you have a paypal account, the payment is almost instant once you sent it.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

There is a very limited buyer protection plan but it has to be listed as such and then only if the seller cares about his status in the "e-bay community"
.. ie his seller rating etc...

If he sells a lot of stuff it may help...... if he's a one timer you're on your own....
Carl

Post by Carl »

I won a bid and almost bought a Pair of Diesels on E-Bay...

Something seemed fishy about the payment process and I held back payment and contacted Ebay...turns out it was indeed a scam, they told me not to send funds.

As I was dealing with E-bay my computer accounts where being hacked...passwords changed...Paypal account was taken over...glad I didn't have it linked to my credit card...it was a hell of an afternoon.

E-bay told me the Scammer overlaid his Duplicate E-Bay/ PayPal page over the E-Bay page when I hit a link. So every keystroke was taken...looked like I lost a connection once or twice and needed to sign on again...guess that is how they got in...

Sorry I went off....Anyway if in doubt...check with E-Bay...Paypal ask them to check into the transaction. You could always pay him when you pick up the item in person. Not really the way E-Bay likes it...but I'd rather go that route them wind up sending money to a "Black Hole"

Oh, welcome aboard and congratulations on the purchase!!!
John F.

Post by John F. »

I've boougth a number of lower-$$ stuff on EBay and it went fine. The few higher-$$ (like yours kinda') I've gone and met the seller and paid cash when I was satiisfied. I'd go meet the guy in NO or where ever with cash, hook it up to me truck and go home. You got to get it home somehow.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I agree w/John. Your man has only 24 feedbacks and has been a PayPal member since May 18, 2006 w/his current name, since Feb 3, 2004 under the name gc8-v. Why did he change names? Maybe no problem....
You're lucky he'll go to NO. (Bring a spare tire and air pump)
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Yes, lucky not having to drive that far. Well, ebay says he's real and it's covered under the buyer protection. At least that makes me feel better. May not be worth the space on the screen but it helps. Well, deposit made I'll see if the credit card co calls to ask if I'm on a shopping spree at bestbuy...in Dubai.
Thanks again ya'll. Next questions will be coming in a couple weeks when I get a chance to tear into it.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Good luck with the boat. A few years ago, at the AC Rendezvous, I had the opportunity to ride in a B20 with a Yanmar diesel. What a sweet ride that was!!!!!!
Harv