Transom mount transducer?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mhiggins

Transom mount transducer?

Post by Mhiggins »

I am looking to get the Lowrance HDS-10 unit for my boat along with the structurescan. My question is wouldn't the cavitation from the props mess with the picture of the structurescan? Lowrance told me if I was trolling it would be fine, not at cruising speed. Then Lowrance told me to contact Sternmate with my questions. He told me he has been mounting transducer for 40 years and the first sonars were on inboard boats off the back of them. Just follow the 15 inch rule. That is 15 inches from the center of the boat. Since the 31 has a wide aft and the inboards are spread out, could I mount both the structurescan and transom tranducer from the back in the middle. I want the 83/200 and its not made in a through hull unit. Don't want a shoot threw hull one because of no temp sensor. If I epoxy it to the bottom do I lose alot of sensitivity and how close will the temp be from the actual water temp? Looking to maybe epoxy it between the holding fresh water tank and the holding waste tank. Just wondering if anyone mounted transom tranducers on their boat like this? Thanks a bunch guys.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

As a back up to my through hull transducer I installed a transom mounted transducer dead centre centre of the hull's V at the stern with the face of the transducer about 1/4" lower than the V.................it works at all speeds my B28 is capable of in all weather conditions I am capable of.......I know of other B28's that have transducers mounted in similar locations but offset to the right side of the V and inboard of the first strake on the hull which all work fine too..............I would think this location would work fine for an inboard powered B31 as well............only considerations being trim tab's presence either present or future their size and location wise in conjunction with a transom mounted trandsucer.............
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Carl

Post by Carl »

As a backup Depthfinder, I ordered my GPS with the Sonor option. As the package came with the hockey puck I figured I'd give it a try...To verify location I tossed the puck into a bag of water and tried a location easily accessible location. Dammed if it don't work as well as my thru hull unit. Temperature sorta works okay...you'll know the temperature of the inside of your hull which reflects fairly well to actual water temperature most of the time. If you fish temp changes...I would not go this route. If you want to know if the water is cold, real cold or not to bad before jumping in...it would work just fine.