13 Whaler

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

13 Whaler

Post by Bruce »

Whats the value of a 13 whaler, new trailer, 40 Johnson electric start, console no bimini top.

Boat itself has iron stains from the sprinkler which can be cleaned out, carbs need rebuilding, teak benches and console need new varnish.

I can pick it up for 1k. Looking for something to teach the grandkids to fish that can also go in our FW canals for Bass.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Buy it quick. With a running motor its worth about 3-4K, in primo condition close to 6. The wood is mahogany. Barkeeper's Friend (an acid based scouring powder available at most groc. stores) will get the rust stains out easily.

I just finished the rehab of my 1962 13 footer and with the 30 Nissan - new plugs and water pump - she hauls boogie...maybe 30-35 mph with just me in her....forgot how much fun the little boat can be, and super stable and solid.

The bronze bitts near the bow and on each stern corner unscrew and are easily polished up like new in a drill press with some fine emery cloth. Do a google on "13 whaler" and you can find the original factory diagrams showing where the wood is in the hull and the wires for the running lights. If you need new decals for it, Magic Brush in FL still makies the originals for $25.

Buy it.

UV
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

even if you took the motor off and threw it away you could easily double your money should you decide to move to a different boat later on

13 Whalers sell like crazy, I sold one that a customer of mine asked me to sell before he even had it unhooked from his truck, called up another customer and told him to come down and check it out before I put the FOR SALE sign on it, 10 minutes later he came and bought it.
John F.

Post by John F. »

great deal, and the best boat for kids.
neil

Post by neil »

bruce buy it,quickly
randall

Post by randall »

i always liked em too. they go fast here when for sale.
Face

Post by Face »

Grew up with a whaler 11, stand on the side and try to flip it, not gonna happen.

My dad sold his 13 he grew up with, later regretted it.
I sold my 11 when I "needed" a car, dissapointed my dad, later regretted it. They're great boats and sell in no time.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the advice. Deal is done.
neil

Post by neil »

face,jr has an 11 with a 25 that jp just redid the steering and we redid the maghagony this winter. second best boat ever built
Raybo Marine NY

the guy who bought the 13 has a 11 for sale if anyone is interested
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I just came back from my marina where I saw a beautiful brand new 40th Anniversary 13' Boston Whaler with a new 40 hp Etec on it's transom. It's liner was in the original Whaler Blue and the Mahogany panels, bench and well cover were beautifully glossy finished as per the originals. Felt like a step back in time. I have NO idea of what it cost, nor did the Marina owner as it was trailed in by it's owner.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Do they have 2 of them.......I want one too.

Sounds like a steal of a deal

H
hb
Face

Post by Face »

Neil, I hope jr holds on to it. My dad had mine made in to a super sport with the mahogany console. The decal said Joe's Whaler in place of Boston Whaler and he gave it to me for Christmas when I was probably 10. 30 hp Johnson would pull a slalom skier (we were skinny). So many good memories and I sold it to buy a car that didn't last.

Raybo, is the 11 painted or fresh bottom? Power or no?

We still have a 15 that is very similar to the 13, really flys with a 70 yammy. Women hate it with its low gunnels. Dad also has a 27 center console cuddy cabin with 250 etecs, fantastic boat that really performs well in a tight chop in the Chesapeake. 18 outrage is in my near future due to storage fees at a buddy's yard.
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

Bruce great buy you will love it .
Raybo Marine NY

Face wrote:
Raybo, is the 11 painted or fresh bottom? Power or no?

We still have a 15 that is very similar to the 13, really flys with a 70 yammy. Women hate it with its low gunnels. Dad also has a 27 center console cuddy cabin with 250 etecs, fantastic boat that really performs well in a tight chop in the Chesapeake. 18 outrage is in my near future due to storage fees at a buddy's yard.
I had a guy bring a 15 in last year with a 90 on it, that has to be a crazy ride

The 11 has power, I dont know if it has bottom paint or not, if you really want me to get more information I will, last I talked to him on Saturday it was still for sale. Some neighbors had said they wanted it but no one came forward with any cashola.
Face

Post by Face »

Raybo, I'm curious about it. Don't go out of your way but maybe pm me a name and phone number.

15 with a 70 does over 40 mph and you can almost get the whole hull out of the water with one person. Keep it trimmed down into the wind! I have been scared it would flip backward more than once.

70 and 90 3 cyl yamaha's have the same block/weight, I can't imagine.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I have a 9" BW Squall that I bought for $125

I can't believe the price some of these older whalers get. Just make sure the foam isn't water logged and you are good to go.
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

The 15 is the big jump up in ride... Ive had pretty much all of em more than once.. my 15 had a 90 to begin with .. after a couple rides I determined not the ride for my boys,a 70 on the 15 is plenty..
Wayne
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Bruce, you got a deal. I talked to the Whaler dealer today, a 13' with a 40 and trailer is 12,900.00$. Thats without any goodies.
Raybo Marine NY

they usually throw those on sale for $9999, a mere bag of shells
Dug

Post by Dug »

Couple years ago I grabbed a 15' and redid it. I was bored, and wanted a winter project. Got a great deal on it. Lets just say I got bee stings when we went to hook up the trailer... And I had to replace the axle, suspension and tires etc.

It had a 70 on it, and it was a blast. I sold it to pay for the installation of my Yanmars.

I would do it again if the price were right.

Funny thing is the guy who bought mine, bought it sight unseen from Texas on the recommendation of his brother who was local. He owns a house at the mouth of our harbor, and the boat is in the water for 4 weeks a year now. The rest of the time its in the garage. I drive by it every time I head out in the Bertram and admire it. The whaler's are great boats.

My dad still has his 1987 25' Outrage. We won't let him sell it...

D
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

13' Whalers are the boat that started a great company ... and Ray Hunt had his hands in it too. In their class, they are the best and if you want fun for the bucks, you can't beat 'em. Over the years I've owned about five different 13s, three 15s and three 17s. Just sold a 13 in the fall to buy my 21 Whaler Impact (Whaler Commercial Division), it's a retired Police boat.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Maybe I'm telling you guys something you already know, but whalercentral.com is a great resource for all things "whaler"- much like this site for B31s.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

also try www.continuouswave.com
Funny ... there's a "Bertramp" on there too ! .... hhmm
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Face

Post by Face »

For anyone interested, the Whaler 11 mentioned by Raybo is available in Amityville, NY. Seller asking $3300 with 28 hp electric start, "sport" package, meaning mahogany side console. Trailer available without registration. I'm going to hold off until my 28 is in the water.
-Joe
Face

Post by Face »

Ahh, forgot to mention, bottom is painted.