bertram 510

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

bertram 510

Post by bob lico »

we closed the deal on the bertram 510 yesterday and now the job starts.i really would like to know firsthand from the florida brothers if you guys really drive the boat from one of these pipewelders towers;
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

now i have two bertrams to drive me crazy.she made 38mph on her maiden voyage with my friends doing a official mechanical survey . now the job is to tweak those 1050hp MANS and props to go 40mph.here a shot taken going into rough waters ,like i said she out performed a 48 buddy davis and 50' hateras much to my surprized.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Bob, was that boat the "Lucky Four Us"?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Congratulations Bobbie! She's a beauty! All the best! Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you brother waterk.brew she was called the "sandman" and was in a florida hurricane coming from walker cay to south florida! a very detailed 30' wave last will and testament log book from the first captain. abundant power from man engines kept her in stride with the waves .she was called" reel retreat" from last owner .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Good Luck with her Bob.

When did they change the tower and enclosure on that boat. Or are the two pictures not of the same boat? Top picture 8 step tower/ 3 sided enclosure and no aft flag sprit on the tower. Bottom picture 6 step tower with aft flag sprit and dodger on console.

Top pic tower has gussets added to it. Continue to crawl all over the tower and check for cracks While the bridge of the 510 is not nearly as long as the 570 there is still a long unsupported span from each port and starboard side rail to where the hard top band wraps into the aft tower leg.

With the aft legs resting on the gunnels and the front legs on the flybridge the tower gets allot more twist than if it were all mounted to the flybridge, hopefully the gussets will do their job for you.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the inner leg of the long pipes going to the top has a circular crack just below the 45 degree brace on the weld and will need a collar as a support .jp i don`t know to much between the differant between these towers . the owner wanted a tower for looks so i went on seven boats before he settle on this. the two vikings had the same type towers but i never really look into means of support. do you actually use this in the northeast?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Congrats Bob, what a nice rig and yes, you can drive the shit out of one in the tower, just make sure your teather in if your in the tower as the picture above. You'll enjoy it. Thats a Cobia hunting machine and what a nice platform for offshore hunting. You'll love it.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

another issue the boat has two chillers instead of conventionel a/c .i guess to take advantage of cooler waters of northeast? tower was modify i guess and chair is missing would like same style murray with rocket launchers. not sure if corian counters were remove or she came from factory with beautiful granite countertops . alot of questions i have on why anybody would plumb all showers and sink to grey water holding tank and then seperate toilet waste to blackwater holding tank and then galley sink to another holding tank???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am taking a wild ass guess there is a bahama gorvernment seal next to cockpit door and the log book tell of wahoo fishing there , is it possible they require these greywater holding tanks?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
Chillers are not uncommon on larger and especially newer boats. One acts a s a Primary and if it gets hot enough, the second will kick in to help cool the circulating water down.
It also is a power reduction over having many individual units.

Don't know of any regs in the Bahamas regulating gray water, but many European countries do have them and here in the US its not uncommon on larger boats to do it to keep the soap scum smell out of the bilges.

It may have been originaly installed by the first buyer do to places they might have wanted to visit.

Many moons ago I ran a 60 Hatt enclosed flybridge for a customer which had a stairway to heaven tower.

With good sunglasses there was never any reason to leave the nice comfort of that enclosed flybridge for the tower because I had no trouble seeing and didn't need anymore height.

On one particluar sporty day the wife decided to go with me for some unkown reason(bad mistake) and thought the view from the tower peak would be nice. I let climb up and when she was secured I lead the boat into a very nice beam sea.

About 1 minute later I see her breakfast running down the flybridge windows.

Turned out of the beam sea, got her down and for 5 hours she laid on the salon couch never to go fishing with me again. :)
Last edited by Bruce on May 8th, '10, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce that sounds like what would happen to my bride and many guys i know for that matter.i cannot answer to many questions about the boat because it is still in connecticut and these photo`s were from owner whom by the way would never attemp to go up to tower. my question to the florida boys are ; the captain is up in the tower and big eye tuna hits i cannot control the crew from the tower so what do you do leave boat in gear and climb down to bridge so they can hear your intentions or the wire man yelling back to me ? seriously is this a stupid question ? due you actually fight a shark or billfish from tower?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

To me a good crew, captain and mate don't need instructions to each other. One knows what the other will do.

If your talking trying to run the boat and direct the owners how to fish, good luck on that one and I offer you this video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5513mXmQbw4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5513mXmQbw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i don`t have a crew only my son to help in the cockpit . my need to tell my intentions are imperative at this point, like the owner struggling with a fish and i begin to back down i want my son to know what i am doing . this is a floating condo at this point and we have to walk before we run. there are tell tale signs of a big time tounament fisherman in the boat past according to the logbook and expensive upgrades for fishing like a $6000.00 eskomo salt chip ice maker that leads to the kill box by way of a plastic tube and electric teaser reels in the molded in box under the tower .i have alot to learn both fishing on big boats and the mechanical points like the duall chillers .the owner is my friend for 30 years and was poor all his life then began to take advantage of obama and company and bought this boat. thats why i allways say in my modest opinion having flown up and down the east coast during trial runs before making a purchase.i found boats from NC. are without a doubt the best looking and high performace running like buddy davis,viking,jarret bay etc.but forgeting everthing else in big waves south florida boats rule; garlinton,bertram cut thru those seas and in a convertible you can see in front of the boat you need to be 8' tall in the carolina express boats along with climbing down into the "basement" to gather with friends or fishing buddies. the bertram had one huge saloon with galley to socialize with and large windows for natural light and view .every thing else i can make right like the stupid plumbing . incidently you have a point there bruce this boat may have been built for europe had two generators one small and one 20kw as alternate to be berth in some place were gensets run 24/7 .no dockside power .like i said i have alot to learn and i am foutunate to have people like you and jp along with the rest of the brothers to guide me . thank you all
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Bob, you should not have to tell the mate what to do. You drive the boat the way you want and he runs the cockpit and lands the fish. Thats why he gets payed. Captians should not be yelling at the mate in my view. It shows the owner that your not a team, and not in controll. The only people raising their voices should be the owner and his guests at the huge fish you guys just caught for them. It should look like they caught it, if done right. Just my two cents.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Some of the best capts and crews work together without a word ever spoken. Tower/Flybridge/Cockpit controls it doesn't matter. We use the tower for spotting most of the time, one guy in the tower with the VHF talking to the mate.

Sounds like you should hire some pro's if you've got to yell commands down from the bridge. Other idea would be to get off the wheel and into the pit and educate your team. Your the leader, lead. When you think you have a good team go up into the tower and relax its an awesome view. Just keep her out of the beam. It is a Bertram afterall.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Brewster Minton

JP Dalik wrote:Some of the best capts and crews work together without a word ever spoken. l.
Thank you JP. Well said.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brew i might have portrayed this whole seen incorrectly . the mate is not paid nobody is just a bunch of guys having a good time . the only differants is i have big game fishing experiance and most who whould be with me don`t . i don`t have to yell just explain . "ok now we have this mako coming to the boat i am going to sink this gaff and chances are she going to go beserk i just want you (the desinated fisherman )to lighten up the drag and back up i will control the fish." " you take this tail rope (after first explaining how to use it while waiting)and when she calm down slip it over the tail" so in essence you are just explaining the next move . this is not the bertram / haterass shootout just mainly tuna fishing on his dime two or three times a year.my bertram is a differant story i have pros in the marina that are hire as wireman,tag man .they are with me as a team because it is MY boat and i will returm favor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Sorry, I thought the crew was paid.
Bayside Bert28

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

When I first purchased the 54, it had a full tower. I couldn't believe the size of the boat to begin with and when I climbed that full tower for the first time (while docked), it was downright scary. I carefully watched each step and handhold to make absolutely sure I would not fall. Then I carefully looked over the welds up there and wondered about the incredible stresses that must occur during heavy seas.

I was terrified to have the kids clamoring to climb and ride on the tower.

At this point, the tower has been removed (it's a long story) but, basically, the pipewelder who was tasked with replacing the corroded portions of the tower screwed up. I took it as a sign and opted to remove it and build an all new standard enclosure without tower.

I will say that the tower and the view from up there was unreal and I had decided to keep the tower as it's pretty sensational ... and very useful for catching fish in the right environment.

It will be less stressful to be an owner without the tower to worry about and being primarily in Maine with the offseason's for now in Maryland, the tower would have been somewhat out of place.

Good luck with that new beautiful boat. There are lots of systems and I (the shop) has had the pleasure of replacing just about ALL of them.
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wanna check out a high tower, take a look at this one. Bob you'd love her, 92' and topped out at 60mph. Although not a real good rough water boat as she was built for speed...then again rough is relevant.

I hate heights and never even thought about going up...but the boys that owned her would just go up and hang out when fishing was slow. Kept a line up their as well to hoist up beverages binoculars etc. Communication was via intercom.

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

100 GPH?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

99gph at 40mph,86 gph at37.9 mph ,66gph at32.5mph and 51.2 gph at 27.3 mph . 1040 fuel cap.lenth overall 54'10" beam 16'2" and 65,489 dry weight.
jp on the bertram 510 from down south i was with the owner and he was rather pissed when i turn into a beam sea at wot trying to roll the boat over. the 2002 47' viking started to lose it when turn into a beam sea at wot i had to recover in the middle of the turn .i attribute this to the much deeper V of the bertram along with wider beam.viking was fast with man 825hp but not as stable as bertram in seas . the 50' ocean was terrible in beam sea . beautiful cabinetry and interior but not a boat to get caught in 12' seas!!!the 50' cabo had the best engine room ,fiberglass ,electrical,speed at wot,test just about as well as bertram ,the bertram was drier and better head seas as well as layout/cabinetry/ galley.this boat was in RI. tested in the block island sound between watch hill and fishers island in a storm.after we replace all injectors and intercooler package is refreshed we will go to jersey were owner resides. we will take her for a ride.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

100 GPH?
deep pockets
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
If it was me I'd hire a professional mate to go with you. As the captain your attention needs to be as you know on running the boat safely not trying to organize a chinese fire drill on deck from the bridge.

Nothing good can come of it.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you know bruce it going to come to that. i laught when you guys mention yelling at cockpit . i cannot or will not explain myself but lets say there was a trophy fish being brought in and the "OWNERS GUESS" was screwing up i would let the fish spit the hook rather then say something to the guess the lowest ranking would be a bird col. and the highest a 4 star general. i will put you on school tuna and my son will set lures and rig .i could always take a friend to keep her straight at 5 knots while i gaff tuna.i have a couple of good friend that would go for free providing the owners paying all expenses.i could get brother walter to take the wheel in montauk.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
In the end its just fishing. Theres always another day.

I've seen too many psycho charter guys berate their charters for screwing up. Lifes too short.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:Bob,
In the end its just fishing. Theres always another day.

I've seen too many psycho charter guys berate their charters for screwing up. Lifes too short.

Alot depends whether you are Just Fishing, Sport fishing, Seriously Sport Fishing and Meat fishing. My father falls into the last two...and after fishing with him for twenty years or so...I now fall into the first two categories.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

press video tour .jp this tower has no back brace but has front brace on main legs. i will look into this .i never had a reason to take note of this but i am aware of this now.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Yeah Bob its amazing what you learn after you come home with twisted nylon rope and a long pipe holding your aft legs from springing apart. Looks like your gonna have your hands full.

After about two years of that boat I gonna bet you'll be wishing for the simplicity of a Carolina boat. 2 A/C units an Eskimo chipper and a microwave, one baby gen set and 30kts on C 18's gotta love the simple Carolina boats. K.I.S.S

PS double check that your chip Ice Maker is salt water. Odds are its fresh and runs off of the boats water supply. Have yet to see a production boat with a salt water chip ice maker. Tough to make martinnis with salty ice, margaritas maybe. Fresh Ice is over 6K for the unit Salt Ice is closer to 13K. Read your systems manuals. Also you have 2 gensets because parts aren't readily available in the islands and if the boat was long range cruising you'd have a back up so the freezers didn't go all watery. This is SOP. Its not a European thing its a traveling boat thing. Best of luck, and remember that boat runs better with a little bit of trim tab, and don't worry about the rudders they are entirely to small to begin with.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp there is a regular ice maker in the saloon for people needs. the eskimo unit is definitly salt water .i had no idea they were that expensive!this unit makes 600lbs a day.i never touch those black buttons (trim tabs) ,on sea trials the boat was trim in all seas but this is a one shot deal differant sea conditions may change things a bit.tabs are flush with bottom and tuck under no drag and no problem also no dock banger just a perfectly clean transom, boat has fly by wire single lever controls seemed very responsive .boat looks naked without teak covering boards definily don`t like it .will put on the project list.do you suggest those X braces both forward and back side of tower? dodger is removed and enclosure installed i am having work done before we take it around .most likely meet you in nj and have tower work done in slip if possible.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks everyone for the e-mails ,pm and calls .ok the tower is a very important tool for tuna especially giants. stand on the tower confirm radar image of birds with stabilising binoculars or scan ocean for whales in numbers.back to the days of tall ships where there are whales feeding there is krill and giants feeding.or just white water in the middle of the vast ocean .same tower as southern boys just use slightly differant and big advantage if used correctly.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473