Storm Petrel Awlgripped and listed!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

steve miller

Storm Petrel Awlgripped and listed!!

Post by steve miller »

Well, I did it..... finally painted, bootstriped and bottom painted the old girl! She looks great!! It is a bittersweet thing to have to sell her. God knows I need the money. But NO money could buy the memories I will always have. Memories I would share with my fellow faithfull, if I could only figure out how to post the %$^**^$ things!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 74586&url=

I hope the link works. If not I will post the listing #
Steve
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I see that I have not yet matered the intracacies of posting a &*%##@#^*&!! link so here is the Yachtworld listing number;
74586-1625230
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Slow down and read the FAQ section for posting.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I fixed that for you.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Steve-

She looks great. Good luck.

John F.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Thanks for that, Mike!
I read the FAQs, didn't see anything about links.

John,
Like you said, that prep was a lot of work. I had already sanded the entire hull. All I had to do was fix the dings and fair them out. That took almost eight hours, and after we sprayed three coats of primer on, I found another twenty or so tiny spots I had missed!! But I do think the results are pretty spectacular. I then had to strike a line for the bootstripe. I simply used the width of the masking tape along the bottom of the bootstripe to act as the spacer to create a line of hull paint between the bootstripe and the bottom paint. I then measured up two inches from the top of that first piece of tape up to where the top piece of tape was going to go. I marked the hull every foot or so and then applied the top piece of tape. It seems to have come out perfectly. I have never attempted that before, I have always had an existing line to tape up to. There's probably an easier way to do it, but I don't happen to know it. After all is said and done, I learned a lot and even had a little fun.
neil

Post by neil »

steve what are the chances of you coming to montauk this aug we missed ya in oak bluff last summer . sorry to see ya selling the old girl neil
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

That boat looks awesome!

What are the chances of you and I doing something with Alchemy!?

You will sell her fast at that price and looking like that.

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Neil,

I got your call, and I shot you an email. I will call you later this week.

Dug
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Neil,
I am thinking about coming to montauk. If it happens to be the same time as the Tri-state tournament on B.I., I would not be able to make it. Otherwise, I'm always ready to leave the B.I. madness for a couple days in the summer! Especially if it means being able to see a whole bunch of B31s!!

Dug,
I't's not as hard as you might think to get a great Awlgrip job, just lots of elbow grease. Maybe you could paint Alchemy some fancy color, like the professor's Predator. (BTW Mike, is that color just as beautiful in real life as it is in the photos?) I'd be willing to help out....maybe in return for some canyon fishing. Heh heh!

P.S. sorry for the double post, kept clicking the back button, & that's what I got for my trouble.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Steve, It's better in REEL LIFE. I think it's such a great color, that it's one of the few ideas I'm willing to steal from a RLDT to put on the tubb

Thudddddddd
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Tim,
Just in time, and lucky for you, Awlgrip is introducing a new line of underwater paints. Perfect for a hatter-ass which, after all, is just as likely to spend time under water as it is floating.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The boat looks great. That's a Sportsfisherman that you closed off, no? It's a bargain at that price. Some of the Faithful with gassers should consider it rather than a repower...or sell the gasser and add only a few bucks. Walter
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Walt,
She MAY have been a sportfish originally, that bulkhead is awfully cheesy. On the other hand, she does have what appears to be a factory Bertram head. Were there any f.bc.s that had a lower station?

Whoever does buy it is going to have to spend some time & money to bring her from charter boat to yacht. I do think the Awlgrip has pretty much achieved that for the hull.
Steve
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Yes, the factory did build some boats with a lower station and the stand-up head with aft-bulkhead. The question becomes: is it a Fly Bridge Cruiser with a lower station, or is it a Sportfisherman with a stand-up head with aft bulkhead? I had a knowledgable Bertram owner tell me that the lower station distinguished the model as a Sportfisherman regardless of the other components. I saw one in Mobile, AL, that had a lower station and a stand-up head to starboard, but there was no cabin bulkhead on the port side, a real highbreed. Best I can tell, the Bertram factory was pretty fllexible with regard to the stock components, and would mix & match to the customer's preference.

Tommy
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Steve- From the pictures I did not see a standup head on the starboard side. If the head is in the V-berth area with just a covered toilet and cushioned cover, it's a Sportsfisherman. If there IS a standup head, it's either been put in by a previous owner or your boat is a hybrid of sorts. I'll look again. I have a Sportsfisherman with the lower station which I find especially convenient when working on the engines. I rarely use it when running it. Walter
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Steve, with my latest brainstorm project, the hatter-ass is just as likely to spend the next few seasons on stands, as in or under the water.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Walter,

Good eye....upon 2nd look I agree with you: a Sportfisherman with the aft cabin bulkhead (whether factory or after market).

Tommy
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Tommy,
There IS a stand up head starboard side. The broker somehow reversed two of the photos, that is , left is right, and vice versa. One of the reversed photos is of the dinette side, the other is one of the bridge shots. The bulkhead was put in by the previous owner, I don't know about the head it seems like it may be older.
Steve
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

If you go to the listing, you will see the head in photo # 3, if you enlarge it. As a matter of fact, I notice that # 6 is backwarda as well.
Steve