Tough Sell

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Tough Sell

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

From this morning's Baton Rouge newspaper:

A Baton Rouge jury last night took about 90 minutes to convict 20 year old Larry Murray of second degree murder in the shooting death of another man in an apparent drug deal gone wrong. Two witnesses identified the shooter has having a tatoo in the shape of the State of Louisiana on his face. Murray has such a tatoo.

One of Murray's lawyers, Quintillis K. Lawrence, referring to the tatoo, said "That's the elephant in the room" the defense could not overcome.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

Good.

Stupid enough to do the crime with the state tattoed on his face...to stupid to be allowed to breed. Glad to hear he will not be allowed procreate and replicate himself.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The fact that it took 90 minutes based on that evidence makes me wonder about the depth of the jury pool.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You can't fix stupid! For starters, a tattoo on your face. Committing a crime (of any sort) and thinking you won't be recognized. Not using a mask. These people can reproduce. The gene pool is down the sewer! Try educating HIS kid!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bruce - I was hoping you would ask.....back in my distant youth when I was a rookie lawyer and the judges appointed me to represent criminals (free, thrank you), I learned real quick that on Fridays (south La. is mostly Catholic) the jurors got really good oyster po-boys when they began deliberations. We all bet on how long it would take the jury to reach a verdict, and I'd always find out from the baliffs if they got the oyster po-boys. If so, 90 minutes was the minimum, they had to enjoy the po-boys. If they got something else, like baloney sandwiches, it could be as little as 20 minutes. I made good money betting long when the oyster po-boys were on my side. My reocrd is 28 minutes for a jury to convict my client of murder. Baloney sandwiches, so I bet short and won.

So now you know the whole story.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

i was the forman in a civil case. our job was to assess proportion of blame. i immediately told everyone to write their ratio on a piece of paper and give it to me. i added em up and divided by the number of jurors to get the average. i then asked if there was anyone that couldnt live with it. then i told the judge we were ready.........3 minutes of deliberation. the judge pulls me aside and , i kid you not says "NO EFFIN WAY !". from what i understand its the state record for this kind of deliberation.

surf was up and i needed to get out of there.

oh yeah....criminals with tatoos on their face....you cant make this stuff up.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
J Graham

Post by J Graham »

What, no grandkids!!!
In Memory Walter K

And the gene pool expands....
Carl

Post by Carl »

I wish I could say wow, unbelievable...but I can't.

See it all too often, although I do love the "Entrepreneur" line.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

and vic roy and andre continue to pay taxes to support those nine children and his 8 brothers and 5 sisters.then educate them with full health care throughout there lives .now we even have a new name for drug dealers!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

It's become survival of the dumbest...in multiples. "Entrepreneur" my ass! I'm surprised they didn't call him a Chemical Engineer or Pharmacological Consultant.[/i]
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:and vic roy and andre continue to pay taxes to support those nine children and his 8 brothers and 5 sisters.then educate them with full health care throughout there lives .now we even have a new name for drug dealers!!

I think all us people who work get to pick up the tab for that lovely family.

At least that person was an "entrepreneur". I get to hire the ones that do not even have that incentive. They work for awhile. Then after a few months they start showing up late or not showing up at all, when they do show up you just know what they are after...getting canned, attitude, won't move worth a Sh%t. No way you can keep them in a running business, so you can them and then they hit the unemployment line. Once on unepmloyment they'll just string it out as long as possible.

Ask me how I know...I'll tell you anyway. Had several guys pull this last year...with new extensions they continue to ride along the unemployment gravy train...my rates went from 1% to 7.5% and I now Owe $9,000.00 to the unemployment fund. Accountant just cut a check for $4,000.00.

Now add to that I had my secretary filing forms regularly for these guys as they had kids everywhere and once in the Wage earning system Child Care Services sends me Child support forms to file for garnishing their wages. It then becomes my responsibility to file, garnish and remit these payments on time thru-out the country otherwise I get penalized (fined)...ask me how I know.

SSomething is really wrong
In Memory Walter K

The system has utterly failed. You're better off not hiring. Stay small, keep it all is the new credo.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

And how, I insure all manner of companies and most of them cannot hire good people that will get off the track sim outlined.
From CPA and engineering firms to truck drivers and mechanics.
There is not much work ethic out there at all (is it ability?).
Why work when you can sit at home and get a check?
But then, look at the schools...........
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory Walter K

I'm afraid it will have to get worse before it gets better. The Depression created work ethic last time. Because there was no unemployment insurance, once you got a job, you worked hard to keep it. No "cushion". Unemployment insurance was a good idea that has turned bad. Now we have a generation who has learned how to milk the system. No one has the balls to kill the system, but Federal bankruptcy may eventually do it. These dopey bastards haven't got the brains to figure out that they're killing the goose that lays their golden egg. I'm sure they don't care as long as they get theirs.
randall

Post by randall »

walterk wrote:The system has utterly failed. You're better off not hiring. Stay small, keep it all is the new credo.

thats my theory for sure. if i fail , i fail alone...not because some knuckle head wants to collect unemployment.........which BTW i dont get even if im injured and cant work for months.....nada...zilch. great system.
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:
thats my theory for sure. if i fail , i fail alone...not because some knuckle head wants to collect unemployment.........which BTW i dont get even if im injured and cant work for months.....nada...zilch. great system.
How about being on my end Randall...I have to match the employees contribution. I have to pay the employee and if I release the employee and he decides to collect I have to pay further as my rates go up. And if something should happen to me....yeah... I cannot collect unemployment either.

It is a good system if used as it was intended...but people just take advantage of it these days.

And and they make it so easy to take advantage of. Get fired, laid off, go to the unemployment office and file. After that just call up to continue collecting...no more days of having to trudge down to the unemployment office in person or mailing in coupons...just call...don't even have to speak with anyone it's all automated. I think for extensions you need to stop in, and for emergency extensions you will need to take a seminar. If interested I can ask some of the guys working outside...they may not know how to count parts being packed into a box or drill a hole..but they can tell you all the ins and outs of the unemployment system.

Even if someone quits they can still receive unemployment insurance...it takes some doing usually a hearing...but in the end many still receive.
In Memory Walter K

And they can't figure out why small businesses aren't hiring...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Walter,
Its a Catch 22. your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

I figure eventually I have to hit upon the right people and I have...I have a couple real good guys I cannot forget about them.