Tred Barta boat on ebay - SAD

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

Tred Barta boat on ebay - SAD

Post by Bertramp »

I was just on ebay and noticed Tred Barta's boat being auctioned. For those unaware, Tred is a fisherman extraordinaire and a very nice guy. He recently suffered with an illness that left him partially paralized. VERY sad to see his boat being sold. Boat is a 33 Rampage and I would be shocked if it anything but sweet.

TRED BARTA'S 2006 33' RAMPAGE EXPRESS
Last edited by Bertramp on Apr 26th, '10, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Buju

Post by Buju »

Wow, only $ 300 G's and I too can fish on one of the several boats once named "makaria" by the infamous Fred?
Maybe really get into it and throw a tantrum too?
Where do I sign up?

Too bad bout his illness, but he' just a guy like everyone else. Only difference is his monsterous ego.
I can think of several passed away or ailing Capt's whom I'd be much more honored to carry on their vessel than this overpriced bubbleboat with a Rampage badge on it.
What's really sad about this is how the listing party is attempting to use Fred's name to justify a higher sale price, like any of that adds any tangible value. Come on...
Now, if this were his first boat, or his only boat then maybe- for the right sucker.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Face

Post by Face »

Agreed Buju. Some call him passionate, I call him egotistical. Of course I feel sorry for him. Any amount of paralysis is terribly unfortunate. We all risk these things just by living.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tred has not owned that boat for several years. He sold it right after he moved to Colorado.

I have never met Tred but I know several people who have. One even kept his boat near Tred's. They all say the same thing about him. The only guy on the dock who was willing to help them in anyway. Tell them where he got the fish how he got them and showed them how to get them.

Let's put the ego aside. That is show for TV and money. The reality is, from what I heard, he is a just a nice guy. Right now, what he is doing in a wheel chair, come on, that alone say's a lot about a person's will.
randall

Post by randall »

hes a friend of a friend and thats enough for me. i wish him nothing but the best but have no interest in the boat.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

My comment was not designed as an advertisement for the boat, but he did a lot for a lot of folks and the sport and the boat for sale made clear to me how fragile we actually are. I wish him the best !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Tony Meola wrote:One even kept his boat near Tred's. They all say the same thing about him. The only guy on the dock who was willing to help them in anyway. Tell them where he got the fish how he got them and showed them how to get them.

That would be me.......

Tred usually got his boats for free and was allowed to sell them after beating the crap out of them for two years.

I could be wrong but it's possible that the last boat that he actually paid for was ........... a 31 Bertram named Humbart, which he co-owned with Jimmy Hummel. It was a gas boat that held about 450 gallons of gas.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

To my knowledge, he did have a 31 at one point, an express with a hard top as I remember and that name is familiar too.
All of my meetings with him (Hampton Bays-Indian Cove and Ft Lauderdale boat show) were very positive, he even told me at one point, don't believe all of the TV and magazine crap .... good man in my books ... I wish him well.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

The sad reality of reality television is: Unless you act like a larger than life Ahole == you don't stay on the air. Look at shows such as Jersey Shore, and all the other crap on MTV -- in the beginning, I enjoyed watching American Chopper, until every episode was the father and son trying to out Ahole each other. Even Deadliest Catch has turned into that in the most recent season. It is a sad commentary on the viewers and what the producers want to see.

With regard to Tred, I barely know him. However, I can tell you this -- a long time ago, when I owned Tailhook, I was fishing in West Atlantis - Tred was there on his Albermarle. After an hour or so he headed in my direction and past me on the port side -- yelled over that he loved my boat and missed his Bertram! He then held up a Zucker Broom and shouted "its the only god damn thing they are hitting."

My 2 cents for what it is worth!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Somehow I believe Reality TV is quite far from True Reality.

Can't speak for Tred...but a customer of mine was in talks with the Spike Channel about doing a Reality series about his Tuning business. They wanted very little reality with a good bit of overdone tension, yelling and tossing stuff around thrown in.

I have to think more people want to be entertained then sit down and learn.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

all of mike`s information was correct and i knew him personlly . he was in our fishing club and came to me personally when i won the twin inlet tournament like a regular guy . most important gave me a sigh edition of his book with the 868lbs mako on the back of his 31 bertram--- quite a nightime aventure. bent a 1/2" diameter flying gaff straight hell of a time getting the monster in the boat with his wife and jim hummel.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Trted Barta is an OK guy in my book. He won't get near 300K for that boat. A young guy at my dock picked up a 2002 30' Albemarl for 70K with 3126 cats with 1200 hours and a 5K westerbeak gen set. He brought it up from Daytona Beach to NJ. A bank just wanted to get rid of it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Actually while my boat was laid up during the repower, one of the guys that hung around the diesel shop knew Tred also. His comments were the same as yours.