Painting deck...non skid...Kiwi--awlgrip??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Painting deck...non skid...Kiwi--awlgrip??

Post by Carl »

Pulled the deck out last night... so it looks like this is my project for this year.

It's an older Fiberglass deck that cleans up well...but porous and gets deep down dirty again fast. So it's time to paint....or something.

Last night I was fairly certain I was going to Awlgrip...tape up the grooves and flat trim around and then Paint using Awlgrip with the non skid additive.

A quick search here I saw the Kiwi product...hmmm looks real nice. But do I repaint the whole deck first with Awlgrip so the non-nonskid surfaces look and keep clean. Or just leave...dum question I guess but to paint the whole deck where I have to sand the non skid first for the Awlgrip...the Kiwi doesn't require sanding...just scuffed.

I'm confused....any insight???anyone done this and want to share what works best.

If it means anything I have to shoot the Motor boxs and side panels with Awlgrip anyway....

Thanks,
Carl
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Hi Carl

I used the Kiwi Grip and it was awesome. Easy to put on and easy to clean up the mess. Practice with the rollers until you get the texture you want and then just go for it.

It is quite thick so it covers a multitude of sins in your existing deck - especially important if you have done any less than professional fiberglass work like I did.

I wasn't happy with the final result on one of my first attempts on a hatch so just went over it again. Didn't have to take the first coat off. Very easy.

Any repair work you have to do in the future will be extremely easy as well.

I would use it again in a heartbeat.

Cliff
kipp

Post by kipp »

Carl,
Discovered Kiwi Grip while fishing with Renegade Mike in Cabo. We used it on Targeted Species, and are very pleased. Good product.
Kipp
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cliff, Kipp,

Thank you for responses.

Well that is two very positive pluses, sounds like a good product. Kipp, you put that down quite awhile ago too...right? I saw the post where you used it when Mike recommended it...had the install pictures...so it seems to last as well.

One concern, I cannot make out the exact texture of the product...It's not too aggressive that walking bare foot would be uncomfortable or kneeling on it would Rip up the knees... kids fell or did a barefoot run and skid they are not going to be leaving skin behind.

Carl
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

When it is applied, you develop a routine and the texture varies based upon how much you roll it.

You might want to purchase a quart and test it out on some plywood. See if you can get a texture that is acceptable to you.

Cliff