PSS shaft seal install ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

PSS shaft seal install ?

Post by scenarioL113 »

I installed the PSS on my Bert and was wondering how they keep the water out?

The stainless collar with the set screws is pre-loaded against the black metallic fitting that has the hose barb on it. I have 1.25" shafts and preloaded to 1" as per PSS.

That pre-loading holds pressure against the 2 surfaces and that keeps the water out????

I am wondering if I am understanding the PSS system correctly, my boat is not in the water yet.

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Carl

Post by Carl »

Don't forget about the O-Ring in the SS Collar

But other then that...That is pretty much it, just a big mechanical seal.

A pretty old, rugged and proven design. The big new twist to the old design is the "Black Metallic Fitting". Old mechanical seals use a Ceramic Seal...but the composition of the PSS seal is much much better.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Frank,
The stainless collar and carbon face it rides against is a seal like the ones you find in many water pumps.

carefull ajustment of the ring is important otherwise it will either leak, too loose, or spray water, too tight.

Always make sure when ever installing the collar on the shaft any lubrication is done with liquid soap. Any petrolium products will stop the seal from working.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Thanks!

I did heed the advice about the liquid soap, I did not use any oil at all when installing.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

how do you guys plumb the water to the seal. I'm coming off the oil cooler but to prevent water from coming into the boat from the seal do you guys put an anti-siphon loop in the hose or do you just install a shut off. If you use a shutoff since its such a small hose would a plastic valve work or ist that a no no. Thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The sea water system is a closed system and should not leak into the boat. If it does you have problems.

Tranny cooler is the typical palce to pull the cooling water off of.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

yea im coming off the drain for the tranny cooler which has a shutoff from the thru hull but what prevents water coming into the boat if something happens to the hose or hose barb at the seal. can't water come in via shaft seal cooling line?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Naturaly if a hose splits or a clamp breaks water will enter.

Being its a 3/8 dia connection its no big deal, but regular maitenance checks should spot trouble before it happens.

Don't try to unscrew the nipple off the seal and install a shut off.

I don't ever remember getting a call back from any install I did with a leak complaint.

Every 5 years change the hose and clamps unless you spot an issue before hand.