Got to crawl around in a Blackfin...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Got to crawl around in a Blackfin...

Post by Carl »

I have admired a 32 Blackfin Combi an acquaintance of mine has for several years.

Yesterday he called to pick my brain about a few issues. As trying to explain things over the phone can get problematic I volunteered to take a look at them on my way home.

Overall nice boat...but when I got under the decks I was less then impressed with the Out of Easy Visible Sight Workmanship. What does it take to add a couple more layers of glass to tab joints together without gaping holes. Other areas had jagged glassed edges, not something I expected to see on what I thought was a high quality boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sim

Don't let the BlackFin guys hear you say that. I made the mistake once on another board of saying the finish on the Bert was better. Did I get an ear full. I agree, well built but corners were cut. Mostly on finish. Good head sea boat.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

There is a blckfinn in the yard I use over the winter. I walk by and(he knows I'm THE BERTRAM skipper) he won't look at me. He knows his boat is a knock off.

And that, gentlemen, is the way it is!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The guy with the blackfin next to me always says "its just like your Bertram". And I say "then it would be a Bertram and its not."
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dick & Brew

You guys are cruel. It's true but you are still cruel.
scot

Post by scot »

Several years back a Blackfin disappeared in a freak storm out of Sabine Pass, TX. All on board were lost, they never found the boat, debris, bodies...nada. Weird deal. Not saying the boat was at fault, nobody knows. But evertime I hear "Blackfin" I think about it. It was a really good looking boat that was just repowered.

My friends 31 Bert was also out that night. He said it was the worst night he has ever spent in his life.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

I still think they are a real good quality boat...I just saw workmanship on the underside that reminds me of something I might do on a job for myself in a pinch, strong and rugged...sloppy and unfinished.
scot

Post by scot »

Agreed. They build a 25 inboard CC for years that you could get with a single 3208 CAT. They were battering rams. If you notice the stern of the 25 Blackfin is build with the "bubble" just like the stern of a 25 Bertram.

Scot
algillen

Post by algillen »

You guys can be pretty opinionated. ;-)

The Blackfin above is actually a 24, generally believed to be a spash of a 24' Formula, hence the outdrive bubble. The 24 Blackfin was never powered by I/Os, and was later updated to a 25' configuration, and at that time lost the bubble on the transom.

"Battering ram" is a pretty appropriate description for the 24/25. I owned a 1976 24 footer, and the darn thing weighed about 6,000 pounds, which is about what the boat pictured above would weigh if it has the single 3208 in it. Mine had a pair of 124 HP TMD40As. IMHO, too much weight in iron for a 24/25' hull with only an 8' beam.

That 24 rode like a Bertram... solid as a rock, and wet as a jetski.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

32 Blackfin is a monster of a boat offshore. I can not say anything bad about that boat.

A knock off? Is that like saying this

is a knock off of this

scot

Post by scot »

Thanks for the history lession on that"24". I have never owned a BF but liked the looks and idea of that 24. I have also heard that the later 25's had a prop pocket...is that true?
Scot
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

differant strokes for differant folks i love the 32' blackfin fbc . i repowered a 1987 beauty and she tearing up the atlantic with exact same profile props removed trim tabs and 3126 cats she does 30 knt. and can take head seas better than mine!!!we gutted the cockpit area and i felt she was built real well and the bottom had no blisters what so ever.----------------------my 2 cents
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I don't think anyone said they were not built solid. We just said the finish work left something to be desired. They are a great boat. Will eat up a head sea. The finish just is not as good as the Bertram.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

It's kinda like knowing a hot chick and then seeing her fat ugly sister. Good genes basically the right lines well built.

Could use a razor blade and a good overall makeover. Not bad just the fat ugly sister.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

your right tony and we have three others in the yard that don`t impress me. ono is a 29' combi another is a 33' combi so the newer ones definitly went down hill as the company sunk into money woes so did the workmanship.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
algillen

Post by algillen »

Scot,

Far as I know, the newer 25 model did not have a prop pocket, but I guess it is possible that there were variations. I have seen 25s with a single screw that did not have a prop pocket.

Without a pocket, the wheel hangs way, way, way down deep because of the deep V. My twins were pretty good in shallow water, since the bottom tips of the props were only an inch or two below the bottom of the V hull. Add to that the fact that the motors were spread as wide as possible to allow a walk-through on the motor boxes, and you had a good arrangement, although somewhat succeptible to sucking air when running in a beam sea. I know you are working on a single diesel 25 Bert, if I were doing what you are doing, I would want a prop pocket just so the wheel is not hanging 30"+ below the waterline.

Ironically, the 29 Combi I owned, while an outstanding sea boat in its own right, was not a pound-for-pound scale-up for the 24/25... we used to joke that the little 'Fin would split the waves, and if the waves got too big, it would split them top from bottom as well as side to side. The enormous beam on the 25 Bert is in my opinion makes for a better setup on a small boat.

ag
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

jspiezio wrote:32 Blackfin is a monster of a boat offshore. I can not say anything bad about that boat.

A knock off? Is that like saying this

is a knock off of this

Well, let's see: AC made the Frua 428,

and that silly Cobra emblem came on a Mustang II, fer gawd's sake! You figure it out!

;{>

John
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

BCbertie- I couldn't find the original Cobra emblem, so I did the next best thing- I faked it! ;)

AG- I think that the 25 Bertram is a much better boat than the 29 Blackfin. The 25 B seems to ride better and in some ways is roomier than the 29 BF
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

No prop pocket on the '25 Blackfin. Mine is a '79 and draws close to 3'. Solid as can be in all conditions - I'm happy. The "Formula Bump" mentioned above is perhaps the easiest way to tell the 24' from the 25'. The 25' also has a bit more beam, but without measuring you probably won't notice. Heavy, yes, but built forever.
scot

Post by scot »

ag,

I have incorporated a shallow pocket into my 25 project. Draft was one issue, but engine placement is the main issue. Without the pocket I could not get the engine location aft of the COB (10ft on the 25) and still maintain an acceptable shaft angle. The pocket is only deep enough to correctly locate the engine, so it would be considered a shallow pocket. Even with the pocket mine will draft 3+ ft of water.
Scot
Carl

Post by Carl »

JP Dalik wrote:It's kinda like knowing a hot chick and then seeing her fat ugly sister. Good genes basically the right lines well built.

Could use a razor blade and a good overall makeover. Not bad just the fat ugly sister.

Nah... its not the fat ugly sister...more of the girl that looks smok'en hot, but after you poke around abit you realize its just the clothes and makeup. Still good looking, just not smok'en hot.
Harv

Post by Harv »

scot wrote:Agreed. They build a 25 inboard CC for years that you could get with a single 3208 CAT. They were battering rams. If you notice the stern of the 25 Blackfin is build with the "bubble" just like the stern of a 25 Bertram.

With the exception of the console location and rocket launcher, looks pretty much like my 26 Luhrs,
which I had been told was also copied from a Don Arranow design
Harv
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Scott,
I had a 25 Blackfin powered with a single Perkins 240 for years. Fantastic ride, but very wet. The big problem was that it sub marined in a fairly heavy head sea...pretty scary...When you're down in Freeport again, take a look at her in Bridge Harbor. She's named "Marlin Darlin". The draft was never a issue in our area...no prop pocket. UV might remember her 20 years ago in Venice...A doctor owned her but I don't remember his name or the name of the boat back then.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich