Cummins Exhaust Tempt

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Cummins Exhaust Tempt

Post by Harry Babb »

I remember a post that states the 300 HP Cummins are pretty sensitive to exhaust tempt's above 875 degrees F.

You guys that have the Cummins engines......can you tell me what the exhaust tempt runs at a hard cruise?

H
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

900 degrees is good harry .keep the bends to a minumin and 6" all the way will lower the hg and consequently the temperature .do you have pyromerter right after turbo?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks Bob
I have provisions for the Pyrometer. I am working on the instrument panel and will order my EGT guages today.

You doing okay???

H
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i walk with a limp but i feel good until it rains then pain,pain and more pain.ikeep busy morning to night to keep mind off.don`t hesitate to pm me on anything concerning the boat or cummins .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Harry-

I have the 330s and at 2400 RPMs am seeing around 900-925. Harry this is in our 80-90+ degree water. When I was bringing the boat from Virginia Beach in the Atlantic around to Orange Beach, AL last year I noticed a considerable difference in temps after we got in the warmer south Florida and Alabama gulf temps. I wonder if cummins has a chart which factors environmental conditions for these type readings? Also, initially the boat was a little over propped and this really drove the TGT up at high RPMs. I have the ISSPRO pyro/boost gauges. They are excellent gauges to have, and provide some great situational awareness. ISSPRO customer service is good.

-ANDY
scot

Post by scot »

Harry,

Things inside will start to go south past 1250 degrees...i.e. melting pistons, etc. If you are below 1050-1100 degrees reading between the manifold and the turbo it will be fine.

Post turbo readings are not as good of an indicator of the engine's EGT. Readings taken after the turbo will be cooler. But, as with all things engines...the cooler the better.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0