when can i order the new shafts in the repower process

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

fishlook

when can i order the new shafts in the repower process

Post by fishlook »

I understand my propellor shop will get the new shaft and cut the key and taper into it.

Can i get close enough on the length prior to getting the engines in place? or is there no way to speed up this process.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes but you have to make a engine jig for cummins . do you have the motor mounts and the shaft coupling??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
fishlook

Post by fishlook »

i have the mounts, need to order coupling (i assume from prop shop?).

when i say the mounts, i have the cummins mounts. we're a couple weeks away from building caps on stringers and building "towers" for engine mounts.

jay
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the reason i asked is beause i built a differant type of engine jig. i desigh a no/fault jig using the mounts and the prop. coupling (mounted backward) to imitate 10 degree down angle of your zf 220 irm gears so the jig is the same as cummins 6bta with gears no errors!!buy propellar coupling and i will walk you thru it.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sure it can be done.

But...

...on more then one occasion I have had customers know the exact size the shaft needed to be only to have something change and have to modify shaft length. Now to modify the shaft to a shorter length is an easy fix...making it longer is the real trick...one which can be the cost of a new shaft.

I always recommend getting it all in and then cut the shaft to size... if your in a time crunch or find a good deal on shafting, you could always have the Tapered End finished leaving the OAL longer by a few inches to be cut and keyed at a later date.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I always recommend getting it all in and then cut the shaft to size... if your in a time crunch or find a good deal on shafting, you could always have the Tapered End finished leaving the OAL longer by a few inches to be cut and keyed at a later date.
Amen, Brother... O'Brian's Law must be observed at all cost.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Take it from someone who has done many repowers with shaft changes, wait till the engines and struts are in where they will live happily ever after except for the final alignment tweaking.

Except for trying to get something before the price goes up, theres no reason to rush.

I've built many jigs and things have turned out fine with them but in most cases I used them because engine fit was down to inches.

That's not a concern with the 31.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I just installed my new shafts.

I waited until the engines were in, there were many factors I was worried about and decided to wait. I built custom brackets and perches and had no idea where they were going to lay until we started piecing them together.

I am glad to say they are on the money.

I am finally down to the last 30 or 40 things to do before this repower/diesel conversion hits the water. (there was probably 800 things to do on the original list when I got started....LOL!)
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i will not assume, cummins uses barry mounts is that what you have ??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Use mock up shafts until you have the engines just where you want them...I bought stock cummins engine mounts and they are still sitting on the shelf...to get the engine JUST right i had to make all my engine and transmission mounts. Hang the transmission get the shaft angle right and line up off rudder...I held my shaft to one side of rudder so i can drop shaft without dropping rudder....then fab mounts ..I made mock ups using plywood...then I hung the transmission on the engine and built the ramps and mounts to fit the engine beds..Then and only then measure and order shafts..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
scot

Post by scot »

Bob,

That faired engine bay is pure eye candy. Although it looks great, the best part is down the road, easy cleaning for life. You won't even need a brush, just wipe it clean with a paper towel.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

everybody contemplating a repower to cummins please print this picture.this port engine is 1000% prepare . notice the fuel filter relocation kit perfectly installed with threaded fitting . notice engine oil removal pipe at rear of oilpan with threaded fittings .all of this is done before installation .don`t pm me this is the picture to follow .perfect job can change oil and fuel filters with suit on!!!all maintenace removal faces companion way.the starboard has the oil filter relocation kit . both oil dip sticks face companion way no reaching over engine for anything.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Scot, Bob, Fish, Fairing the bilge s**cks...but well worth the effort..painted the rear bilge last week will post that next week...thanks for the kudos Bob...I listened and watched what YOU guys did before me..Best advice for new guys LISTEN, WATCH, ASK...then build. Here is a picture of the plywood engine mounts I fabbed up prior to buying any metal. Make the engines and mounts fit your boat, off the shelf stuff may cause you more grief than they are worth..my2 cents..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob- I am mightily impressed! Look forward to drooling over it in Greenport! Walter