Modify B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

Modify B31

Post by jrwolfe »

A friend has a FBC and would like to convert to a sportfisherman. He is thinking of opening up the cabin by removing part of the bulkhead and elimnating the head compartment and replacing the dinette with a bench seat. What structual problems will he run into. What should he be looking out for?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Basically he will be doing to the interior what they did to all the Sportsfishermen at Tropic star Lodge. Both sides on the interior are flat bunk style cushioned areas you can lie down on. What you will be missing is the head, unless you put one in the V-berth area like the regular Sportsfishermen. You will also want a canvas cover for the back area that closes it off. Structurally, I don't think the strength of the pilasters is any different between the FBC and the Sportsfishermen, but I defer to Patrick on that one.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I pretty much did this to my boat---removal of the stand up head --but was concerned about removing the rear bulkhead as the flybridge tends to rack as things losen up.

Capt Patrick indicated that there is a structural difference in the two models.

I left my bulkhead intact but made the windows as large as possible and removed the door as I keep the boat behind my house and don't have a security problem.

The head offers no support, so removal should not be a problem.
jrwolfe

modify B31

Post by jrwolfe »

Does anybody know the structual differences of the flybridge on a sportfisherman and a FBC. What can be done to compensate for any differences?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JR,

There are two principle differences between the FBC & SF house tops.

The FBC model has molded in pockets for the upper edges and outboard corners of the cabin bulkhead. This made installation easier, more precise, and without the need for some sort of flange to screw & bed the top of the bulkhead to.

Since the bulkhead was deemed a structural element and would contribute to lateral stability of the house top and bridge, the layup schedule was reduced for the FBC as opposed to the SF.

Removal of a FBC bulkhead to convert to SF will necessitate additional glass build up of the interior of the pilasters and, if cosmetically desired, filling and fairing of the bulkhead pocket.

Structurally, the easiest way to reinforce the pilasters is to build out the inner inboard surface with 1/4" H80 Divinycell and then laminate with a layer of 45/45 1708 biaxle fabric. This should all be done in epoxy.

This will also reduce the amount of space within the pilaster to run wiring, hydraulic lines and engine control cables. Still very doable, but tighter.

Br,

Patrick
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

Hey Capt. Pat, thanks for the info. I am suremy friend will b\appreciate the help. JW