anti-corrosion spray

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

anti-corrosion spray

Post by scooter28 »

I'm looking for a anti corrosion spray that i can apply to my engines to keep them from rusting. i don't want a real thick film just a very thin coat to keep condensation from causing rust on my rebuilt engines that i spent so much time making them look pretty.

I just bought a can of boeshield its made by the boeing company and it seems pretty cool as far as not leaving a messy film behind. don't know how it holds up though. Has anyone tried it?
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

of course after posting this i realized the post on the cx stuff. it looks like good stuff i wouldn't mind trying that stuff out.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Absolutely the best product you can use for most anything. It comes in aerosol and liquid in a red and blue formula. You can buy it directly from Uncle Vic. I use the red formula (thinner of the two). Vic uses the liquid mixed 50-50 in a spray bottle with lacquer thinner (I think) or acetone. I've always been afraid of the possibility of those solvents crazing the old engine paint so I use the spray can straight. It also far exceeds the other products for outriggers, radar arches, towers and rod holders. Keep a can in your boat, at home and in the trunk of your car. Walter
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Walter and Scooter...

I bought some CX (liquid and spray can) from Uncle Vic.. very happy with it!

One point about diluting it.. as someone either here on in the Bertram 33 forum said.. they use it diluted 50/50 with lacquer thinner to spray on their engines. I asked here about the fire hazard safety of spraying a lacquer thinner based mix in the enclosed space of an engine room.. Cap't Pat responded that lacquer thinner was not as volatile as I had believed, and it was acceptable to use this mix.

I would definitely NOT use acetone in this manner however.. I have to believe that presents a much more volatile and flammable mix in an enclosed space.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
randall

Post by randall »

while acetone is very volitile (almost burned a cabin down trying to start wet firewood)....sprying it will allow it to flash off in quick order leaving the CX......i would still use laquer thinner....and leave the engine cover off for awhile.....i pay special attention to engine mounts ...really soak em with CX