cost of rebuilt injection pump - 3208T

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joef

cost of rebuilt injection pump - 3208T

Post by Joef »

At the yacht yesterday - found a puddle of fuel in the v of the block of my port 3208T. Assuming this is from a leak in the thottle shaft seal on hte injection pump. ...i understand its not that big a deal to fix...but - since the pump is 20years old this year, am thinking of swapping whole pump out with a rebuilt, as all the other seals in that pump are 20 years old.

I'm builiding up the courage to Ransome Cat on monday to get a quote. Just so i know how many cigarrette's i'll need after the call, can any of you give me a ballpark on what this will cost?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Had my 6 cylinder pump rebuilt. I also sent the injectors at the same time, they replaced the tips for me.

Its been quite a while but as I remember the bill was about $800.00 per pump. Just as in your case the engine was running.....I just wanted her freshened up.....pretty much just a "Kit" and recalibrated.

H
hb
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

How many hours on the pump? Just replace the seal. I have done it on both motors. Not too big a deal.
Joef

Post by Joef »

charlie - about 1800 hours...not a lot for those motors. But i'm assuming the since the seal leaked while sitting over the winter (i know that fuel was not there last november when i winterized) that the seal issue has more to do with age. Will ask the guys at ransome - they straight with me (expensive, but straight). With all th elittle things that need repairin this spring, i'm most inclined to just replace the seal. As i've heard - no huge deal to do it.

just for fun - i'll let ya'll know the cost difference

J
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

1800 hours is nothing for the pump.
The seal is just a piss poor design and subject to leaking.
I did the last one two years ago. I think the seal was $2.35. The problem is you have to remove the intake system. That wrecks a couple of gaskets that will need replaced. All you have to do is remove the back of the pump. That requires another gasket replaced. You do not have the remove the turbo just loosen and rotate out of the way. You will also need to remove a couple if fuel lines to get the intake off. So bottom line you destroy about $25 dollars in gaskets to replace a shitty little seal.
I can do the job in about an hour. Replace the seal.
Joef

seal.

Post by Joef »

Charlie - just called Ransome and asked them to take a look...off the top of his head, the guy i was speaking to said it was about 5hours of labor. I'll let you know what the quote is...i will not be replacing the pump...just too much $$.

i'll let you know what they say with the quote. ...and tonight will take a look at the shop manual to see what's involved. I'm not against trying it myself...will depend on what they say. Two kids, crazy job, crazy spouse...i must choose carefully which projects i take on myself!

Joe
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Joe I am in Brick NJ. Where is the boat?
I watched my neighbor do the first one. I did help. When it came time for the second I did it myself. So far I have done 3 on boat and a friends. The parts book helps. There is a little spring that I found in the V after my Detroit Diesel mechanic took apart the back of the pump. I figured out what it was from the parts diagram and put it back in the right place. That is about the only thing you can screw up.