Fish Boxes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

fishlook

Fish Boxes

Post by fishlook »

I've got Glass tech decks...... Is the thought of trying to retro-fit them with fish box hatches a bad idea if i move my exhaust outboard?

Can anyone post some pics of the fish boxes, hatches. I searched old posts and found some fish box photos but not that showed finished products.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats my boat ,new hatches are coosa board .great instalation i will photo when i get a chance.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think they are balsa cored, so I would be very careful to make sure that they are properly sealed if you cut into them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rawleigh is soooo right and it took a week to correct . scribe out boxes leaving 3" between forward hatches and new fish hatches . remove port and starboard hatch leaving center intact. turn over and remove two inches of perrimeter around entire piece thats usually were they absorbed water along with hatch covers .discard old hatch covers .using old rear opening as guide cut new hatch out . make a form for existing lip .glass in new lip along with new solid glass perrimeter use 50/50 cabosil/milled fiber but first lay down biaxal and glass that in first . i left existing glass perrimeter fiberglass top skin and removed balsa then go ahead and glass . make hatches out of coosa board and put reinforcement 3/8 ribs under .here is a photo not great i will get you a better shot in a few days.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bob if I were looking to do my deck soon would you not go cored and get solid glass?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

definitly NO this was a mistake led on by not thinking ahead . i had the cockpit floor in the boat when i bought it. i knew it weight 2000lbs but i just avoided getting into that fu-king basa shit . i piece meal it by taking up floor removing all rot by the time i got into it i just thru away hatches beyond repair and the amount of time making the exact lip under the hatch and then extend for longer hatches (above fish boxes) . i should have thrown the hold floor in dumbster and started from scratch with 1" coosa board and coosa hatches. stupid mistake live and learn . i will rip up that floor next year and replace it with total coosa instead of just coosa hatches next year. everybody loves the cockpit floor little do they know the main area inside the 2" edge is pure shit and will destruct in time.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bob
i know now let me know were to step when i come aboad in greenport, should be in the water in 2 weeks, here bassy, bassy
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok charlie another year of bob with the 30" bass and charle & jp with the 48 pounders.how do we start double hook or single on liveline?????
capt.bob lico
bero13010473