Tower too big for a B28?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

Tower too big for a B28?

Post by Face »

I am currently restoring a B28 flybridge. Has anyone been on a B28 with a tower and is it uncomfortable? I have been told that the deep v makes rocking very uncomfortable. Also, is the 31 wider than the 28 at approximately 11'? Thanks
-Joe
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

At drift the B28 really rolls. Having been on my flybridge in a 2-3 foot chop I can't imagine being in a tower under the same conditions.

Underway is another story though, the boat is very stable. Problem is, what if you're in the tower in a bit of a sea and come to a stop? I would seriously be concerned about collapse of the tower or failure at its mounting points.

There are lots of B28's on yachtworld.com, I don't recall ever seeing one with a tower.
Charlie

28B

Post by Charlie »

28B is 11' beam and 31B is advertized at 11'2". The biggest difference comes from the reverse chimes of the 31B. The 31B also has a lower center of gravity. I owned a 28B and they can be snap rolling buggers. Not so bad in the cockpit; but up on the flybridge sometimes you really have to hang on. The biggest roll problems come while drifting and being overtaken by boat wakes. Once you kick her into gear the 28B runs very nicely. I would not put anykind of tower on a 28B.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Plus the Hyena Boats are ugly enough already.

Yo Fren,

UV
Jack

Post by Jack »

My friends refer to the marlin tower on my Bahia Mar as the puke palace. Couldn't imagine using one with a flybridge.
unabashed hyena lover
Hal

Post by Hal »

I had a 28 with twin Yanmars, genset and all the other nice things we cram in our little boats. It was a snap rolling tender ass dog! Cobia fishing up here in a 3' sea would make you feel like you could reach out of the tower and touch the approaching wave with your hand. Under power it wasn't too bad, but when you have to stop you could toss yourself out. You absolutely couldn't fish in much bigger without full tanks for fear of being catapulted out.

Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You do not want to go up high in the air. What they said is true. You can be thrown out in any seas over3 foot when stopped. If you fish only in the calm and really need to see to fish maybe but if you will be offshore in the N.E. lower is better. Good Luck