Well ain't I the luckiest guy in the world! ! !

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Well ain't I the luckiest guy in the world! ! !

Post by Harry Babb »

I was walking outside today when a Mercury Marque drives up in the receiving yard.....a very very nice guy asked where he may find Harry Babb. So I asked him the nature of his business.....that most people who have business here at our shop come in thru the front door and announce their presents.

At this point he tells me that he if from OSHA.....I am sure the look on my face was one of.....lets say....OH F*%k! ! ! !

He tells me that he was dispatched to inspect our shop as part of an Amputation Prevention Campaign......and assured me that his visit is part of a national campaign......

I asked him how we were so lucky to have been visited by OSHA 2 times in 5 years.....then he told me.....get this....it COULD have been that the data collecting agency in Tennessee may have picked our name because we reported a number of accidents above the normal level for our industry based on our SIC code orrrrrrr.........that we reported an accident level BELOW the norm for our industry. Our reportings for the past 15 years is "0" accidents....our OSHA 300 logs show thousands of hours worked and "0" accidents.....seems rather bizzar to me.....pretty much they do not believe the reports that we file every year.....

At any rate after a rather intense and heated initial interview we toured the shop.

We will be receiving a violation for not having a guard on one of our bench grinders......

So the reward for not injuring people, keeping a clean well maintained shop, and equipement in good working order is that the fines will not be as great.

Just venting......

Harry
hb
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

the "star" on the bell curve gets looked at the same way the "schmuck" does .... sorry
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harry
i hear you, the only time they will come visit us is if someone calls, or we have a fatality, so far in my 29years i have not had to deal with them
Carl

Post by Carl »

I do not know how true this is and never wish to find out...but in a recent OSHA compliance seminar I was told to never let them in the door unless they had a document showing me exactly what they wish to see.

They are not to roam about freely and of course Cell phones and Cameras are prohibited in your facility due to the sensitive nature of your work, customers trade secrets and all. You can point out the "Posted Sign" to that effect.

Yes Harry you are quite the lucky man to receive not one, but two visits from your friendly local OSHA rep.

Hmm I have the same safety record as you, maybe I should put a claim in...
Carl

Post by Carl »

I do not know how true this is and never wish to find out...but in a recent OSHA compliance seminar I was told to never let them in the door unless they had a document showing me exactly what they wish to see.

They are not to roam about freely and of course Cell phones and Cameras are prohibited in your facility due to the sensitive nature of your work, customers trade secrets and all. You can point out the "Posted Sign" to that effect.

Yes Harry you are quite the lucky man to receive not one, but two visits from your friendly local OSHA rep.

Hmm I have the same safety record as you, maybe I should put a claim in...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

And they want to know why America is pissed off. How's that for helping small businesses succeed so they can hire more people? What I have learned from all this is stay small, keep few records, deal as much as you can in cash, and no matter how well you do....profess poverty.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hello, I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you.

or

No good deed goes unpunished.

Maybe in the future you need to trump up a few minor incidence to get yourself in the center of the curve.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Harry,
Option 3) You posted one too many times on the "Politic's (Why not?)" board on the Bertram 31 website?!

Tinfoil hats anyone?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry,
When going to college the place where I worked as a fleet mechanic/mobile tv studio truck driver had a guy who hung around with the nick name of bird dog who was an OSHA investigator.

Since it was in Tulsa before the oil industry went bust there he did mostly oil rig accidents. Used to show me pics of guys that got caught in large cable spool rolls and then wraped a few times with 1" cable. Guts, brains and everything else popping out.

He was a company man and I used to give him crap over the regulations to which he replied, we have to save people from themselves.

I reminded him of what I'd been told by my grandfather while messing with the coal bin in his basement.

"Let the little bastard pull the bin on himself just once, he won't do it again if he survives". I see industrial accidents as a way of rooting out the unskilled from the skilled.

Hell anybody can shovel shi@.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

We got sited about 15 or 20 years ago because our fire ext. were not at the correct height off the floor.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I think the concept of OSHA is a GOOD thing. I want to work safely and I certainly want my employees to work in a safe environment.

Truthfully we make efforts every day to keep our shop clean, uncluttered, safe and productive. We call Safe State to come in and do a mockup OSHA inspection with the thought in mind that they can point out potential hazards that we may overlook.

But when it comes to OSHA the way they implement safety standards is simply bull $hit.

The inspectors come into your facility with the intention that they ARE going to write a citation before they leave......and these a$$ holes are talking serious money......and the funny thing is that different inspectors cannot even agree on the interruptation of a standard.

I asked the guy that came in for a followup inspection several years ago, was it possible to be clean enough to pass an inspection and not get a citation......that dick just chuckled and told me that it is impossible.....that he could always find something.

We should be working together to build a safer stronger workplace but instead the focus is to generate revenue to support a group of worthless blood sucking bottom feeders.

H
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes we should have a safe workplace...and unfortunately I guess we need someone to watch over those businesses who put dollars over human life.

But inspectors can get ridiculous too. Haven't dealt with OSHA, but the fire department can be a ball buster...

I had to take a NYFD course and become Certified for our Air Compressor. We run it at a measly 125PSI. What a joke, 50 bucks for "Study Materials", 50 bucks to take the test and 75.00 a year to keep the Certificate up to date.

Forklift Propane...can only keep one on the premises, unless I build a concrete slab with 10' fence around it, padlocked, signs yada yada yada. Sort of makes some sence till you look over at the neighbor who has 3 BBQ tanks sitting on the outside of his shed.

The list goes on...but luckily the local NYFD house has several guys who boat...and need stuff for those boats. but that is not always the case.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Base fine went from $450 to $1150 when the current administration took over.

As a citizen of MA I am sorry that it was the brainchild of Ted.

Our day will come I am sure, and there will be a fine. It is the way it is.

But we work very hard to ensure a safe work environment. It is the right thing to do and creates a more productive workforce and environment.

Speaking as a member of the short finger club, not a club I encourage anyone to join, I never want any of my employees to have a similar or worse experience. but you cannot legislate intelligence...

Dug
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Food for thought...you might have stepped on a "rivals" toes and he may have a connection or two with OSHA...dirty pool sounds like to me..Up here they have the State Troopers checking all the Hydraulic Licenses for any operator plowing snow with backhoes or loaders, steep fines go right in the general fund...broke states will do the damndedest things to raise money...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

UHmmmmmm.......guess I am more lucky than I realized.....a license to operate an air compressor??? First I have ever ever heard of that Carl.....what's that all about??? The inspector that visited us did ask to see where we stored our propane cylinders....we keep them in an out building....that seemed to satisify him......but the accetlyene bottles inside of the shop did not bother him at all.....btw the accetlyene bottles are not in the same rack with the oxygen bottles.

Bob, funny you mention rivals. My first encounter with OSHA was within a month after a disgruntle young man left our employment and even funnier was that about a year later I ran into the young man in town.....we talked shop for bit.....then he asked if I had been visited by OSHA....could have been a coinsidence....who knows.

Dug, I was told by the inspector that the we are in line for discounts....first is 60% because of the size of our company, another 10% for some reason that I cannot remember and finally 15% because we already had an experience with OSHA.

On a good note business seems to be picking up.

H
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

License, certification call it what you will...

It was truly a bogus endeavor created by our fire department to get a few bucks in revenue. Of course that is only my opinion.

When I received the study material in the mail, I truly realized what was going on. Before that point I thought maybe there was more to operating a compressor...not sure what...but thought maybe about the draining, pressure testing... but all they touched on was to have the Compressor Pressure tested yearly by a qualified Compressor Technician and display Testing report.

Questions to the effect-

If your air compressor is smoking-
A- run
B- pour water on it
C- shut off power to unit

After receiving materials you had to schedule and pay for test. On test day I had to run into the city and take the stupid test...wasted the better part of a day for a 10 minute joke test. When I was finished I had to wait for the balance of the test takers to finish...then we ALL went over the answers together before submitting the test and having it corrected to which we where called up and IF we passed were allowed to pay for the certificate....some did not pass????

Since we moved, we stopped displaying the certificate, and stopped renewing as the compressor is in our basement...and they have yet to realize we have a basement.

You need a certificate to change your Forklift fuel tank??? Actually I believe it is a handling certificate. I got one of those certificates too when I got my Forklift Safety Training Certificate. Actually there I did learn a few things...kind of worth it.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Friggin' ridiculous!! Gov't has gotten way out of hand!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well guys I told you that I would report back to you.....today I received an envelope from our good friends at OSHA via registered mail.

For some strange reason this fine makes me feel like I won the lottery.....

Improper or missing guard on a bench grinder...$375.00

Not properly enforcing a HAZ COM program.....$0.00 Yes that's right NO CHARGE

That's it......end of sentence.......total charges $375.00.

So to sum it up it goes like this.......A wolf wearing sheep's clothing shows up at my business.....issues a citation for $375.00 and I am thankful and jubliant that the fine is of such small dollars.

Does something seem a little twisted here.....does to me....

H
hb
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I think you need to ask them where's the credit for so many years of an accident free work place for you, your employees and customers.

Congrats on almost getting off, but damm I hate to hear that you have to pay anything at all.....

btw, pay it quickly by certified check and then lay low......

br,
JohnD
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Harry; Just wondering if you tax man can used that a deduction or an expence item. That is you think about is about the price for a low end bench grinder. Opps w/ a stand.
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
Carl

Post by Carl »

$375.00
You should feel lucky.

I guess doing the right thing is enough for some inspectors.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I wonder if you coulda slipped him $100 at the door and been done before he crossed the threshold !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bertramp wrote:I wonder if you coulda slipped him $100 at the door and been done before he crossed the threshold !!
Long as you do not get the wrong guy...