Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Paint

Post by Russ Pagels »

The sea trial is thursday, if the engines are good I will buy the boat.might need paint. I if it does which one?imron 5000,awlgrip,awlcraft 2000.thanks Russ
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Russ,

Did you sell your old boat?

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Terry,not yet.Have to make sure this is the one,if it is, old boat will be up for sale by saturday..Russ
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Are you spraying yourself or paying someone else to spray ?
I've had very good results from Interlux Perfection. It is a two-part paint, but is designed for no professional user application. I personally used fine foam rollers on one boat and was pretty happy. I have someone painting my 31 as we speak (litterally), he is using the roll & tip process with the "perfection" paint and I expect an even better result. Is it a $20,000 Merritt paint job, no .... but at 1/20th the price, you might find that you're pretty happy.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

I'm having it done by a professional, all the work will be done @ Silver Hawk boats of NJ.Russ
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

imron
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Imron is always my first choice. However, if you've already decided on a particular painter, it might be best to get his input on what he prefers. Some Awlgrip/Awlcraft painters don't like using Imron because they already have the technique down for what they're used to shooting. Same reason for Imron painters not to want to shoot Awlgrip products.

Painters also have a set supplier for their products and shooting something other than what they normally order can mean a higher cost to you due to special orders from higher priced sources.

Awlcraft 2000 would be my second choice and is very similar to Imron. I prefer Imron primarily because that's what I have most experience with.

Keep your painter in the loop...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thats true, my painted would only shoot imron, and that was fine by me
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

x2 What Capt Pat said.

See what Scotts group is familiar with.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Imron 5000....mine was done in late 2000 and beat to hell in 2005 during Katrina, she took huge hull impacts from nasty crap like the butt ends of girders and only minor scrapes.....the stuff is tough as nails. Ins. co. authorized a full exterior repaint altho a patch would have been not too bad...she still looks like brand new after 5 more years. The parts that are now 10 years old still look new. Never need to use wax, in fact, all the wax does is make black streaks. I had mine done professionally, did none of the prep work myself, and its about a 8-10k deal, but worth every dime. Really.....on a par with Capt. Patrick's rudders as an upgrade to a B31 that is worth twice what you pay. Imron 5000, don't even think about anything else.

UV
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

vicroy- the texture of the 5000 does not bother you?
micky

Post by micky »

I've always used Imron in my boats. I painted a Shamrock 5 years ago and it still looks like the first day and its easy to touch up if you scratch it.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thanks one and all, it sounds like Imron seems to be the favorite....Russ
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Texture? Never noticed it had any, so I guess the answer is no. The yard she was in during Katrina was destroyed and slow to get back up, and the painting facility was a gravel parking lot. She got some Imron overspray on the glassed-in windshield and I ended up buffing it off with 3M compound, and I can tell you the damn stuff is hard as glass, don't wanna compound off....took a loooong time to get it right.

I've fooled with Awlgrip on airplanes and its okay, but not in the same class as Imron in my view. The Imron 5000 is way better than gelcoat. But remember, I hate to paint and am simply no good at it. I'm still sanding the Flying Whaler as we speak and gonna slap some primer on her soon...I'm tired on boat restores...how the hell you stand it, Ole Fart?

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

how the hell you stand it, Ole Fart?
Not much longer ol' Buddy, not much longer...
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

those guys spraying that 5000 are either incredibly good sprayers or they did not use 5000

or did they sand the 5000 and clear it?

5000 goes on like mud, its a single cross-coat coverage product, best for trailers, trucks, things you want to cross coat your way across and be done.

it cannot be sanded and polished, and undetectable touchups are very hard if not impossible to achieve.

you aint gonna get a finish like this from 5000

John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

I know Awlgrip and Imron are the standards, but I will second the recommendation for Perfection from Interlux. I'm having my cockpit painted as we speak, and the Perfection is super-easy to work with, and looks great.

Image[/img]
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

If you are having someone spray, Imron & Awlgrip may be the way to go, but if you want to dress it up for way less and get more bang for the buck .... "Perfection" is the way to go !! Mine was roll & tipped yesterday and looks fantastic !
Last edited by Bertramp on Mar 11th, '10, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I used Interlux Perfection on the bulkhead of my B35 last summer when I installed a new door. Over all I'd say the most problem I had was with weather, June in MD is fairly humid and unusally wet last winter. I had some problems with drips and the "tipping" process. In all I think when I was done I was kind of getting the handle of it but damn it took some time to get to what I call a 2b6ft finish (that's 2 beers and from 6ft away you say DAMN that looks good).

Would I use it again, probably. But I'm going to try my hand at spraying before I do. I plan to try awlcraf2000, though thanks to the recession it may be next year before I get to that project.

br,
JohnD
Buju

Post by Buju »

Real nice finish on that hull Robbie... like a mirror.

Perfection is a good product. It is real similar to Awlgrip in that it is the same
technology (linear poly) but like others touched on, it's a bit more user friendly to catalyze, reduce, and apply... unless you know what your doing with Awlgrip- nothing is hard when you know how.

There are some others out there like Sterling, Alexseal, etc. But I beleive the technology on these products are nothing new, just new manufacturers.

Like others said, whatever the yard/painter uses. None of them are bad products.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.