Gas tank?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mhiggins

Gas tank?

Post by Mhiggins »

Looking to replace my gas tank because I think I might have the great Ethanol problem. ( gotta check when weather gets better) I am here in Michigan if anyone knows how to build the 222 gallon tank. I am running the Merc 454 gassers. Like to have the diesel fittings just in case. Should I go Aluminium, Stainless Steel, or plastic? What are the pros and cons with them? Also who did you guys get your tanks from? Also what gas line should I run? Can I run the -an fittings that are popular with the auto scene? Thanks, Mark
John F.

Post by John F. »

I went with an aluminum tank that I had made by Patriot Marine Fabricating in Forked River, NJ (tel. #609-693-5542). The tank was made out of 1/4" aluminum with 3 pick-ups and returns in case I ever go diesel/get a generator (neither are in my plans). Patriot epoxy coated the tank also. They were great to work with, and I'm real happy with the tank. No problems, nice work, nice people, nice price.

Plastic tanks aren't available in a big enough size, and SS tanks generally aren't CG approved and its difficult to find someone to build them. F'glass replacement tanks that are supposed to be ethanol-proof are or were available but are really expensive--more than 2X what an aluminum tank will cost. I had talked to Richard Kidd at Bertram about a F'glass tank when I was looking last year but I understand from this site that he's not there anymore and that in any event the build time/delivery was at best uncertain.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mark
what style 31 do you have
coolair

Post by coolair »

I also went with a 1/4" aluminum tank, Cheap, quick and i am only out alittle over 2k, The figureglass tanks are mucho expensive, I have come to the realization after talking to many people the stainless steel think is not true. The guy who built my tank said he builds stainless steel tanks for the coast gaurd all the time. I went with a guy out of floridia, cause he was very nice, knowledgeble and cheap. I got my tank last friday, and the welds are beautiful. I will post some pics soon
Matt
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Mack

Post by Mack »

John F. and I essentially have the same set up except my aluminum tank was built by Atlantic Coastal Welding.

Given that the idiots on Capitol Hill have considered raising the ethanol content I would be a little sceptical as to the future integrity of a new fiberglass tank no matter how "ethanol proof" everyone claims it might be.

Good luck with the project!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I just purchased a brand new Mercruiser 3.0 for my B-20. The book that came with it tells you that it has been made to be able to use E-10 with warnings that all fill, vent and fuel lines must be changed to ones that meet that same requirement. They DO dance around on the potential of E-15 becoming mandated some time in the future. Sure sounds like they didn't plan for the future or the ramifications of a stronger blend to the components of the engine. Real smart. Real Congress material.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Actually you can get a stainless tank that is Coast Guard certified but they can not be used if the boat is run commercially such as in a Charter. The firm that everyone used to use appears to be gone, Maybe Coolair can tell us who he is using in Florida.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Tony-

My bad. I thought I read somewhere that ss tanks couldn't be used unless cylindrical in shape and under 30 gallons--some reg/rule stuck in my head that made a ss tank not the best choice. Can't find the rule/reg now though, so I guess I'm not remembering it right.

John
Mhiggins

Post by Mhiggins »

Hey thanks for all the replies. I am leaning now toward an aluminum tank. CWJ I have a 79 sportfish model with upper and lower controls. Hopefully will look at the boat this weekend. About another month and a half before she gets splashed for the 2010 season. Just gotta do the rudders shelves for sure before it get wet.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mark, or anyone interested, the reason i asked what type 31 , is that alex wititer at 31bertram .com has a oops sale on a tank that was built for a customer with 50 gals more capacity then the 233, it will only fit in a bahiamar as there is room to move forward.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

For an aluminum tank I will second what John said about Patriot in Forked River. I have not used them but I know several guys that have and only have said good things about them.
coolair

Post by coolair »

As long as capt. Pat is ok with it
The guy i used is John at
http://www.custommarinefueltanks.com/
I dont konw if anyone has used him or not. But after getting my tank and seeing the welds, I am impressed. Its how i wanted and what i wanted,
Thanks
Matt.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Al

Post by Al »

If you're interested, I believe this company makes fiberglass tanks: www.polyumac.com.
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

These fiber glass tanks ... who has had a failure? I mean gas in the bilge.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey guys, I'm having Alex W. build me a glass tank. We're getting max volume out of the standard deck height and this tank allows for maximum usage of fuel. It has two sump "pockets", one in front, one in rear. I'll let you know exactly how many gallons I can get into her when done. The resin is the same they use for gasoline holding tanks rated for and exceeding E15, and will last indefinitely. I was thinking of alternative materials until I talked to Alex, I'd give him a call.
coolair

Post by coolair »

i think i would agree alex is the man if you want glass, but Rocky, whats that tank gonna cost?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi Mat, cost of the tank should be around 4K, I know it's up there but this is something I've been saving for to buy outright and also be able to get the maximum usable fuel and longetivity in the future. And also I tend to take to heart what Capt Pat says about going glass on tanks, as he is very knowledgable in many areas, not that it is wrong to go other materials I just like the idea of being able to use the very last drop of fuel the tank has remaining in it, if it ever came down to that.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky i always wanted to post something on the subject of underground fuel tanks, we have two 10,000 and one 5,000 gallon tanks for diesel,hi-test,and regular . they are on the waters edge litterally surmerged in salt water. they are double piped with leak indicaters along entire lenth . they are "sticked" every other day . this chemical placed at the end of the stick indicates water in the fuel as little as a teaspoon with cause stick end to change color. sorry for the long post but if i leave out one item people will jump all over your post. why don`t they just dublicate the exact formula new york state mandates for underground tanks? a 250 gallon tank coat $750.00 and there are a zillion of them in ny. what gives?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bob I'm not really one for the politics but I was told just one 50gal drum of this stuff is over 2K , let alone all the labor and other things that make up the tank build. Sounds like pretty bulletproof stuff for the long run. Not sure if you could "coat" an existing tank and not have problems?
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

building the glass tanks for the boats are very time consuming, underground tanks require no baffles and I thought they are mandated that they be changed every certain number of years?

Had there been no ethanol introduced these tanks would still be good, so what worries me is how do you know what will be added to fuel next and its reaction to the current resins used?

This is as we cutting the tank out of a silver anny 31 today

As for who to make your tank, if there are boat yards there are local businesses making tanks, use one of them, its a good chance he has already made a dozen for Bertrams already.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bob,

The problem is that you will NEVER find water in the gas tanks any more. It is all absorbed by the ethanol. That water paste has to actually be in pure water to turn green.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harv

Post by Harv »

Capt Dick Dean wrote:These fiber glass tanks ... who has had a failure? I mean gas in the bilge.
Did you forget what my tank looked like, or the fact that you could push it in with your finger?
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rocky wrote:Hey guys, I'm having Alex W. build me a glass tank. We're getting max volume out of the standard deck height and this tank allows for maximum usage of fuel. It has two sump "pockets", one in front, one in rear. I'll let you know exactly how many gallons I can get into her when done. The resin is the same they use for gasoline holding tanks rated for and exceeding E15, and will last indefinitely. I was thinking of alternative materials until I talked to Alex, I'd give him a call.
I had my fiberglass tank built by Polyumec. This is the company building them for High Tide Marine and also used by Richard Kidd, before he pulled a fast one on Allied Bertram. Cost was also in the 4K range, and considered completely ethanol resistant up to 100% ethanol. Don't matter to me as I will be switching to diesel once I get my projects in order.
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike the paste we use turns bright purple i agree with the wrong indication can come up for gas but for diesel it is foolproof because the test nipple sits dead center of tank and the marine fuel tanks slant to the center.i will inquire with the fuel delivery driver and suffolk weights and measure on the mandated test stick on ethanol gas. 64 degrees today and the push to drop 1500 boats in the water started.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

stations have been using that paste since Noah fueled up the Ark
Last edited by Raybo Marine NY on Mar 9th, '10, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie you cannot imagine the amount of people involve in gas tanks for marine use. epa,dec, suffolk weights/measures,suffolk health,tyree enviromental,uscc,and the worst ny sales tax. major oil spill 1 quart must be reported to uscg in one hour,if not 25,000 first shot.suffolk county inspection at any time water in gas on there equipment 5000,00 first shot.mandated leak detection around and under each tank,all line from tanks to fuel dispenser double piped with leak detection inside outer pipe.vents piped 22' oversea level. very few selling gas on soth shore anymore. incidently if fuel is used in a vehicle with plates on it they will lock down marina and 20,000 minumin fine.what type of fiberglass are the tanks made out of???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Nice to know that Moses owned a fueling stating when Noah showed up with the ARK.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

JP Dalik wrote:Nice to know that Moses owned a fueling stating when Noah showed up with the ARK.
Jesus used to own it

gimmie a break I was in a fog, I spent 4 hours trying to get this stupid tank to peel away from the Bertram, they should have built the whole boat that strong!

Lets paste and glass the crap outta this thing, but lets leave the bulkhead and the subfloor its sitting on and against raw wood.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If it were a 2006-2010 built version you could have taken the stringers out with the tank in one short lift.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

or the whole deal would be sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie six years ago my dauther lived in west islip .the next block was a silver anny. hidden on the side of house so by any chance did this boat come from west islip . the owner was a older gentlemen so i am thinking he may have sold the boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

different boat Bob, this boat has been docked at SS3/Marine Max for as long as I can remember, the job is actually through them.

inside of it looks like a grenade went off