which generator?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

which generator?

Post by Russ Pagels »

I'm writing up my wish list for the new boat,deck replacement is no.1. no.2 is a new generator, which one do you think is the best.it will be going on the port side...Thanks Russ
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Phasor 6.5 KW "pancake" 3 cyl. Kubota engine, 1800 rpm. About $7,400 but will last forever. The pancake is just a shorter version of the old 5.5 KW with a slightly larger displacement engine. I replaced the 5.5 (after Katrina ate it) with the 6.5. Quiet, no sound shield needed, has a built in electric fuel pump that solves the fuel starvation issue with the older models with the mechanical lift pump. Very strong genset, will run anything you want with no strain. Simple electrical, no circuit boards as the hi temp and low oil pressure shutdowns are hard wired sensors. All the service points are on the port side of the set and easy to get to,no need for a remote oil or fuel filter. Much better than the old 5.5....comes with a oil pump out hose installed. Mine is installed outboard of my port 6BTA 250 with lots of room to spare...if you mount it as far back as you can in that space there is about two feet of clear storage for stuff like oil, coolant, etc. forward of it.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a little off subject but you mention the cockpit deck .most important how is the condition of the covering boards? incidently i ask differant questions then john q public because i do everything myself and i could put that generator in 15 times over before i could do those covering boards . trust me massive labor and the price of burmise teak (because it is banned) is unreal.you plan 10 times and 10 templates before you make that cut. like cutting diamonds
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Duhhh, read my own post, the service points are on the stb. side, not the port...they face the port engine. As recall the only thing that's on the outboard side of the set when its mounted outboard of the port engine is the alternator, and you can get at it by removing the fairing between the gunnel and engine box. My 6.5 was installed before I had a chance to look it over, so went to the Phasor booth at the FLL show and found one sitting out then took pix of it from all angles, printed them out and stuck them in the manual.

Speaking of pix, got the new Olympus 7010 twelve megapixel pocket camera....amazing little dude for $159. A sho' nuff' built in telephoto lense on a camera less than an inch thick...how do it know?

UV
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

UV,bob thanks for the input. I have to make sure that it can be repaired locally.any experience with onan or fisher panda? Bob the covering boards are in good shape. need to be sanded. thanks again...Russ