More paint advice needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

More paint advice needed

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey Faithful - sanding away on the old 13 Whaler. Will be ready to put some Interlux Pre-Koe primer on next week, then follow with the Interlux Brightside finish cut a little with their 333...Question of the day: do I cut the Pre Kote or use it straight?

Got my Bondo skills back up to snuff, great stuff.....some of the nooks and crannies around and behind the "wall" inside the transom required use of a little sandblasting to get the chipping old paint off. Amazing what a lot of time, patience, & money can do.....I never had this much time to do fun stuff when I was working. I now realize Work Sucks.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

If you're applying with a brush, Pre-Kote requires thinner INT0333, same as you'll use for the Brightside. Since it's a one part paint, allow a couple of days for an average coat to cure before sanding. Sand with 220 grit.

Pre-Kote isn't intended for below the waterline use. (contains microspheres which can absorb moisture if submerged.)

APPLICATION AND USE
Preparation:
PREVIOUSLY PAINTED SURFACES: Sand old surfaces with 120 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding residue. Wipe with Brushing Liquid 333. Repair surface defects with Surfacing Putty 257. Sand surface, wipe clean.

BARE WOOD: Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Wipe with Brushing Liquid 333. Repair surface defects with Surfacing Putty 257. PLYWOOD: Follow directions for bare wood. Apply Inter-Prime Wood Sealer Clear 1026. MAHOGANY Follow directions for bare wood. Apply Pre-Kote directly to the wood.

BARE FIBERGLASS: Wipe a small area with a clean rag that has been wetted with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. While the surface is still wet, wipe with a clean, dry rag. Continue this process until the entire surface has been cleaned. Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Wipe with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Repair surface defects with Interfill Epoxy Filler. Sand surface, wipe clean.

Method: Apply 1-2 coats. Depending on surface condition. Allow the necessary overcoating time between applications. Sand between primer coats with 120 grade (grit) paper until translucent. Remove sanding residue with a rag dampened with Brushing Liquid 333. Apply finish coats. Sand with 220 grade (grit) paper between Pre-Kote and finish enamel.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Thanks Ole Fart, just what I needed to know. I'll have a few areas on the bottom that will be bare glass where I repair some cracks....since I can't use the primer, should I just brush a coat or 2 of epoxy, sand with 220, then topcoat?

Thanks again,

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

That'll work, but allow the epoxy to cure for a couple of days before sanding. Two coats of epoxy, back to back, sand with 80 grit for better tooth hold.