BERTRAM REFIT AT HUCKINS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

BERTRAM REFIT AT HUCKINS

Post by Craig Mac »

Found this on the blackfiin website--can't tell much from the pictures-does anyone know the boat or owner?

http://www.blackfinowners.com/forums/sh ... 8#post4078
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

How do you get in?
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Thanks Walter, I thought it was just me. I tryed to regester but wouldn't let me.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I was able to register. I am now waiting for clearance. I think Craig Mac is a closet Blackfin Guy.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Gee, are those Blackfin guys afraid we'll steal secrets like they did when designing their mimic boat?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... (but not appreciated by the originals)
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I keep trying to post them here, but I can't get it to work. I will try again. I do have Blackfin access, they are a great boat.

I will go so far as to say that one member on here, whose name will never be divulged, has told me that he would actually prefer a BF 32 or 33 over his B31.

Now, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

When they were new the finish on the 31 Bert was much better than on the Blackfin. I know that Bertram and Blackfin used the same gelcoat back then. There is a 32 in the yard I am in and mine is a 75 his was built in the 80's. Mine still comes up much better. I keep getting asked if it was just painted.

The 32 Blackfin is a bigger boat. Wider, longer and heavier. This gives it a bigger cabin. It is a better head sea boat and it weighs almost 7000 llbs more. The draw back is, it uses more fuel and probably can not run as fast as the 31 that has been repowered with the newer diesels.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tony Meola wrote:When they were new the finish on the 31 Bert was much better than on the Blackfin. I know that Bertram and Blackfin used the same gelcoat back then. There is a 32 in the yard I am in and mine is a 75 his was built in the 80's. Mine still comes up much better. I keep getting asked if it was just painted.

The 32 Blackfin is a bigger boat. Wider, longer and heavier. This gives it a bigger cabin. It is a better head sea boat and it weighs almost 7000 llbs more. The draw back is, it uses more fuel and probably can not run as fast as the 31 that has been repowered with the newer diesels.
Spot on Tony. The 32 Blackfin with 3208s is solid as a rock in a head sea. Better than most much larger boats. The boat itself is much roomier, and dare I say it, drier. The flip side is they don't run as well or as efficiently as the B31 does, and they are not as pretty.

Both are great boats, but only one is a classic.
Jon A

Blackfin site

Post by Jon A »

Great Bertram site guys, as a 29 Blackfin FB owner, I wish our site was as strong as yours. The site was just revamped in the last year and has limited posting. I suspect it will get better with time. It does require a sign in to post. We've already had spamming problems.
I'm still waiting for the days when the mid to late 80s Blackfins start getting restored like your Berts. There's a lot to learn from you guys. I'd like to see some of the helm, cabin window, cockpit and refit features done on the 29 and 32 flybridges, I think they'd look great. Thx
Jon A
1988 29 Blackfin Flybridge
2008 Yanmar 315s
Green Harbor Tuna Club
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

i am a fan of the 32 bridge boat as well as a 42 liberty which is just a much larger 31--something that i always thought bertram should have built.

also like the original cary hulls although very limited info on them
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

The Mid-Atlantic Rendezvous has a thread on the BF forum. We has several Blackfin guys at last years Rendezvous and several have already signed up. They took a lot of kidding; but are coming back again this year with reinforcements.When you put a 32 BF next to a 31B you can really see the differences. They are much wider for sure.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

jspiezio

I said that on The Hull Truth and you think I committed a murder. A BlackFin owner jumped all over me telling me no way the Bert had a better finish. I remember getting on a BF at the NY Show and it was really nice. Had some features I wish my 31 had, but when I looked at some of the finish work on it, no comparison.

Its like the 30 Cabo, all I ever heard about is how great they are. Yes, they are well built, great finish, but a diesel 31 Bert will blow the doors off of a 30 Cabo, even in a head sea.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jon A

By the way welcome to the group. You are welcome any time. Heck we even had a Hatteras guy hanging out here for a while. By the way, has anyone heard from Timmy?
coolair

Post by coolair »

The libertys are sweet,
my bro just capt. a 45 fly bridge back from florida, said it flys, it better with twin 900 mans. But it doesnt have alot of room, single state room, and the dinnette doesnt fold out. lots of storage,
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tony Meola wrote:jspiezio

I said that on The Hull Truth and you think I committed a murder. A BlackFin owner jumped all over me telling me no way the Bert had a better finish. I remember getting on a BF at the NY Show and it was really nice. Had some features I wish my 31 had, but when I looked at some of the finish work on it, no comparison.

Its like the 30 Cabo, all I ever heard about is how great they are. Yes, they are well built, great finish, but a diesel 31 Bert will blow the doors off of a 30 Cabo, even in a head sea.
Tony- I don't think there is much anyone could post on THT without getting jumped all over.
We love the BF32. My dad had it restored about 15 years ago by Jim Ray here on Long Island. The finish of Jim's work is very high quality. He is thinking of bringing her to FLA next year to have Carl (Elite Marine) give her a sprucing up again. But with Carl that may become a major refit, he is a real perfectionist about everything he touches.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Timmy is doing well. He has just changed hobbies. He is a lifelong bird shooter, and has decided his time etc., is better spent training hunting dogs, and playing with really nice guns instead of pissing money into the hole in the (now) ground known as the Tubb. For now anyway...

I am sure he says hi however! And he will still come out and drink when and if invited! :)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Maybe Timmy is smarter than the rest of us. Bird hunting is quite a bit cheaper than running a boat.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
You can put a dress on a pig and take it to the prom.....but its still a pig.

Nobody anywhere has ever done justice to an original design be it cars, boats or what have you.

The Blackfin has its points, as does the Chris Crafts and other models designed after the 31.

But nothing will be an original wet riding and pounding 31.

Its a classic and no amount of my shine is better than your shine will change that.

I can't afford an original Cobra, but I could afford a kit Cobra. Why bother?

Its like pasting a picture of a young super model over your wifes face. Sooner or later the paper will fall off and your back to an everyday driver.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Tony Meola wrote:Dug

Maybe Timmy is smarter than the rest of us.
That's got to be the first time that comments ever been made!
Regards,

Doug L.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

There's only one RLDT
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I feel exactly the same way. I would love a 289 Cobra, I don't even need a 427 Side Oiler.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:

Its like pasting a picture of a young super model over your wifes face. Sooner or later the paper will fall off and your back to an everyday driver.
Tube chassis, big engine and topless, thats why bother. May not be worth anymore then the parts and some labor...but still one hell of a ride. Customer built one...sweet.

Not touching the Super Model comment...

32' Blackfin is a super sharp looking boat, almost bought one with 3208's in my BC years (Before Children). Wife really liked the extra cabin space compared to our 31 and was all Gung-Ho to put money down. But that pour boat had a vibration they couldn't seem to fix, it was flipped several times and friends at the dealership told me to stay away.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a good friend of mine has a 32' blackfin. i try everything in the book to make it go .3208 catapilars at 375hp with twin discs . the boat plowed water same problem with the "wet boat" 31 bertram . no rocket sciencetist here you just have to get the boat out of the water.the only advantage was the carolina classic bow which push the water aside and kept the boat drier then the 31 bertram.ron took the boat to a number of places and numerous prop. changes along with larger turbo`s still no go.he turn it over to me and i first weight it on the travel lift.----------oh my god what a fake out this boat tip the scales at 18,000 lbs. plus lets repower,so we removed the 3208 cats along with the back breaking heavy gears . although we are a yanmar dealer we needed balls to get this baby out of the water and ride on inner strakes.catapilar 3126 at 385hp and zf gears. we remove 2300 lbs out of her. nice engine compartment to work in and just that much more room hear and there . the room on the bridge was meanningless but the room in the cabin might help someone with a family. the boat performed well on it first run but i felt i could do better . off to the prop. shop and he dublicated my style props without rake . the boat roared up on plane and ran 30knots . we changed rudders and painted cockpit with awlgrip . fabulous boat in every way.ron was elated and took my wife and i to dinner . boat is at oakdale yacth "-seas the day" if any body wants photos.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i want to tell you about the good old days but don`t know how to do research. we actually drove this car on a deserted but beautiful 6 lane road , no kidding got rid of police for run. nhra. world champaion i think 1962 to 1965 was nitro burning A/A altered class owned by pacers auto ,oceanside, ny . charlie dodge and george snicik
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

on my should woulda coulda list. drove one of the original 260 cobras all day . for sale $4000. not a rocket like a 427 or even a 289...but beautiful and real . so what did i do.........of course, I BOUGHT A BOAT!!!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

randall wrote:on my should woulda coulda list. drove one of the original 260 cobras all day . for sale $4000. not a rocket like a 427 or even a 289...but beautiful and real . so what did i do.........of course, I BOUGHT A BOAT!!!
260 started it all. A beautiful car, wire wheels with knock off hubs like the 289. But I lust love the 289, the first American car to win the world championship (in the Daytona Coupe body style not as a the convertible, too much aerodynamic drag).
randall

Post by randall »

i would take a 289 over a 427 any day. the 427 like a viper is a car......toon but then again my dream car is a C-type jaguar.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/17/phil ... pebble-be/
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

randall wrote:i would take a 289 over a 427 any day. the 427 like a viper is a car......toon but then again my dream car is a C-type jaguar.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/17/phil ... pebble-be/
Just stunning, nothing I could say could improve on that beautiful image in perfect British racing green.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

The 260 and early 289 Cobras are terrible - transverse leaf spring front end and worm & sector steering, dreadful bump steer. The later 289s benefitted from the effort for the 427 and got the coil-spring & rack-n-pinion front ends, and are simply lovely.

While there are numerous crappy Cobra kit car replicas out there, there are also exact duplicates available, including those from Shelby himself.

John
randall

Post by randall »

i have a different set of desires. i had an austin healey 100-4 for 25 years. it had the engineering sophistication of a biplane and my honda civic would turn faster lap times....especially if the race was more than 3 laps as the AH brakes were only good for two.

its all about a feeling that transcends how fast or how well behaved the car is. i drove a friends jaguar 120 around for awhile. maybe the worst driving car ever made but an absolute joy to play with.

same with a ferrari daytona........really fun to play with but i wouldnt want to commute in one. the list is endless.

BTW...ive driven all three "real" cobras and if i was allowed to keep one id take the 289...........just personal preference.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Randy - I traded the dreaded 22 Mako for a "restored" MGB roadster that had been upgraded with an oil cooler.....it would go several miles without overheating vs. two blocks.....it took a day and a half to adjust the rear drum brakes....you had to play tinker toys with little shims....the "engineers" must have been on the gin & tonics real good to invent that mess, or been designing around the patent for the wheel....oh yeah, and having to keep oil in the little cups so it would drip on the leather pistons in the carbs and keep them soft.....goddam car was maddening but cute. Sold it to a young guy and his check bounced. The rest was ugly and involved jail time, etc. But the MG was a lot more fun than the Mako.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

vic roy i certainly am no expert in fiberglass and was just wondering what happen with the mako. the ones we had here all suffer the same problem . someway, somehow water intruson seperated the stingers from the fiberglass layup. boats was really beyond repair with today`s yard labor. again not my personal opinion just a cusual observer.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Ah, Cobras. What a great look. Pre-Bertram, I gave some thought to building a replica. Modern running gear out of a 5.0 Mustang or maybe a Z-28, modern brakes, and real simple. The point is it'd be fast, you could give it pretty good handling even with a solid rear, and it'd have a great ragtop look. I really like 'em. Two problems--really tough to register/inspect kit cars in MD (better to buy one built), and my B31 takes all my extra "work on it" time. But I love their look, and I love the simplicity of american iron--best of both worlds. And if its a replica, you can beat the crap out of it without worrying about smoking your matching numbers motor/rear/whatever. Maybe someday.

Oh yeah, I had a 65 MG Midget--sophistication of a garden tractor, but fun to drive, absolutely reliable once I got it sorted out, and girls loved it (I was in college). Also, numerous Alfa GTVs, a Triumph Spit (didn't like it at all), a few BMW 2002s, then back to American iron (1971 Z-28)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john f we have so many up here in a car meet there are dozen`s very bad investment . guys buy the shelby kit and side oiler 427 with the million dollar wheels then go down south and buy a 1965 ford rusted piece of junkbox then destroy and use registration for kit . ends up at 80,000 with correct fans,top loader trans, windshield,lights,etc. then just tap your finger on fender "it ain`t alluminum --forget it" about 40,000 on long island minted out from that connecticut company.better you spent it on your bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bob - water intrusion and just plain ole sloppy construction...it reeked of carelessness and "go cheap". Crap fell off, sorta like Volvo diesels.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

i thought about building one of these once. i had a friend with a derelict XK 120 to use as a donor car so when it was done the engine would have a 120 serial number and i could legally register it as a 1952 XK120 which is what a C-type is. but i bought a boat.

http://www.picturelane.com/cars/jaguar/c-type_proteus/
coolair

Post by coolair »

I know a few years back Shelby "found" in there shop enough parts to build original cobras i guess all new old stock parts, just in storage. I think they also have a reproduction cobra too, i think i would buy that before i bought a kit. I love a corvette. BUT i will say, when we went to vegas, my wife surprised me and rented us a Ferrari spider with a F1 trans, and well cruisin down the vegas strip in that thing and doing idk over 150mph on the high way with the top down was priceless. And i had alot more room in the spider than i do in a vette, but a new vette will hold 2 sets of golf clubs :)
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I owned both a Sunbeam Tiger and an Alpine. The Tiger had a 260 Ford V-8. The start of the Cobra was the Tiger.
randall

Post by randall »

Charlie wrote:I owned both a Sunbeam Tiger and an Alpine. The Tiger had a 260 Ford V-8. The start of the Cobra was the Tiger.

griffith