Hueso

UV: This time I aint' gonna say sorry!

Post by Hueso »

My Pre-SuperBowl afternoon!

OOOOOOppsss! I almost forgot this one!

Carl

Post by Carl »

It's just not fair!!

Not sure which is worse, seeing the beautiful water, fishing, catching fish or just you being warm...

Cool pics... thanks for sharing,
Carl
neil

Post by neil »

we did the same thing sunday,only we are in aruba and watched the game on a giant screen that was set up in the ocean,we fished the old fashion way with handlines and had a blast
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

David - good rubbin' in....but you still a miserable ass damn lawyer....there oughta be a law against posting crap like that in the winter....

Try smoking some of that mahi.....use hickory and it turns golden and stays moist in a water smoker....makes great boat snacks.

Good job!

UV
John F.

Post by John F. »

Hueso-

Thanks for the pics. They make me feel a little warmer while I dig out from 28" of snow with another 10-20 expected Tues-Wed. Nice fish.

John
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

It does not get any better than that.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Hueso- I was just starting to think things weren't that bad here, and then you pull this. Thanks for rubbing it in.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Hueso, real nice. Thanks for the pics. I hope it snows there too. This is fishing up here. <object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/f8a_126567683 ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/f8a_1265676834" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

UV:

I just pan fried it with a little lemon, salt and butter and some white rice on the side.

Also, made my favorite Puerto Rican dip in sauce: MAYOKETCHUP, which is Mayonaisse mixed with Ketchup and a bit of garlic powder or chopped garlic, your choice. Other days I throw in some Tabasco sauce. Dip in with some seasoned french fries or anything. Kids will love it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

MAYOKETCHUP
From the pages of Chef Emeril Lagasse?
Buju

Post by Buju »

Same thing as Bahamians and most Conchs use for dippin conch fritters...
Fritter dip.

Personally, I like pepperjelly... and a little lime. You can make an impromptu pepperjelly by dicing up a scotch-bonnet/habñero and mixing it up with a couple tablespoons of good marmalade. great on fresh fish
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
In Memory of Vicroy

Sounds good. My cooking has been altered by chemo and radiation - me and any kind of pepper don't mix no mo'.

How about some Coonass Cuban black Beans? Me & the Bride spent a week recently at Miami Beach and got some good Cuban food, including black beans. I sorta Coonass-ed up this recipe and it's damn good:

* one pound of dried black beans
* 2 qts water
* 2/3 cup olive oil
* 8 cloves garlic and a garlic press
* 3 yellow or white onions, peeled and chopped fine (food processor time)
* one tsp sea salt or to taste, be careful with the salt, I used none
* 2 tsp powdered chicken boullion
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1/4 tsp crushed oregano
* 4 tbsp dry wine
* 2 tbsp vinegar
* one tbsp chili powder
* garlic powder
* onion powder
* 3 ham hocks

Yeah, a lotta stuff but not as hard as it looks.

Pick thru the black beans and discard the screwed up looking ones. Put the rest in a bowl, cover with water by two or three inches and let soak in the frig. overnight. Have plenty of water as the beans will soak up a lot.

Next day drain and wash the beans a couple of times and throw out any floaters.

Put 2 quarts of water in a big pot and bring to a rolling boil, put the beans in, cover, and lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, take a skillet and heat your olive oil and gently saute' your garlic (I press it in, or you can chop it fine), chili powder, and onions for about 10 or 20 minutes.

Take out and drain (a big slotted spoon works fine) about a cup of the cooking beans after 45 minutes - about a third or so of them - and mash them up in a bowl....make a nice smooth mash outta them. Add to the stuff you have sauted in the skillet and mix up to a smooth consistency. Put the contents of the skillet in the pot with the rest of the beans, then add the oregano, cumin, boullion, and say a tbsp each of garlic and onion powder to the pot.

Cover and cook slowly for an hour. Add wine and vinegar. Cover and slowly cook for another 45 minutes or an hour. Uncover and slowly cook down, adding water if needed, until the beans are nice and thick and smooth.....you can cook it down almost to the consistency of a bean dip or serve it with more liquid. I like it cooked way down. Add your salt and any pepper toward the end....the stuff you are cooking has a good bit of salt so be careful not to over salt.

It takes me about 2 hours to cook it down after its uncovered. Good recipe for weekends or us retired folks. Damn good, make a real Cuban slap his momma.

UV
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Vic: My dad's family came here from Venezuela so my grandmother cooked black beans and plantains once a week. Her recipe is very similar to yours except in Venezuela, sugar is added not only in the pot, but at the table too. Seems like she used bell peppers in hers also.

The next time you are in Ft. Lauderdale, try Don Arturo Cuban / Spanish restaurant. (if you haven't already) Great food and some of the best black beans I've had in a restaurant.

Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Eddy - the original recipe I Coonass-ed called for some sugar but I eliminated it. It also called for chopped onion on top at the table, which made me burp just thinking about it. Bellpeppers killed my Dad and Grandfather - one at 98 and the other at 97, so I don't eat it.

The Cuban place we went to several times in Miami Beach is David's on Meridian just off Lincoln Road Mall. Ate breakfast there every day for a week and lunch a few times. Good, and cheap as dirt, full of copys and firemen, always a good sign.

You got Gotta Go winterized? The weather guessers are calling for snow here tomorrow night.......the Bride's new favorite wine: "I wanna go back to Miami Beach"......

UV
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

We should be seeing some 60 and 70 degree days by now. That's why we tolerate the hot humid days of July and August. Getting screwed this year.

I ran Gotta Go up and down the Tchefuncte last Saturday in the wind and cold. Got two 100w lights I keep in the bilge year round to keep the iron warm and dry.

We need to meet up somewhere by boat when things warm up.

Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Yeah, how about meet for lunch at Middendorf's? They have a pretty good dock. Or the Prop Stop for Swamp Burgers and Worm Buckets? Or whatever....

I have a couple of 200 watt block heaters on AJ...the electric bill at the camp last month was the highest in history, combo of block heaters and keeing the camp sorta warm so the pot plants won't die.

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Eddy,
When I was living on my blow boat in Ft. Ladida we ate at Carlos and Pepe's. It was four star so not too often. They had a bar about a mile long. Big copper dry sink about four inches deep the full length. Had every beer known to man. This is how we found it. Hadn't really ever planned to eat there, but Carlos told me that not all Mexicans are poor and some even know what gourmet means. Fabulous food.
Is it still there?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Mikey: I've never been to Carlos and Pepe's, but I Googled it and it's still in business. My times in Ft. Lauderdale have mostly been stop overs to the Keys or Bahamas. Never just hung out there. I need to.

Vic: Any of those sound good. I plan to come over to the Tickfaw Easter weekend to visit so either then or sooner if this weather will shape up.

Stay warm.

Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Roger that Eddy - and remember you are always welcome to dock at the camp overnight or longer.

Sleeting lightly, predictions of snow here tonight still on.

Great picture in our local paper this morning of one of our sterling highway dept. employees, guy named Reginald, using a front end loader to load sand in a dump truck so they can spread it on the bridges tonight...problem is Reginald forgot to close the tailgate on the dump truck and the sand appears to be running out as fast as he loads it......this pix should be in every newspaper in the WORLD. Our govm't at work....or maybe Reginald's bro-in-law or Aun-tee has the contract to load the sand - by the scoop?

UV