Nida-Core

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tunahead

Nida-Core

Post by Tunahead »

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? Thinking about using it as material for bulkhead between the cockpit and cabin on my Chris Craft Cutlass Dory. Would it also work as decking material on my 31? If so, should it be West systemed? any other ideas?
Thanks very much.
Bill
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

which product? H8PP?
Tunahead

Nida-Core

Post by Tunahead »

Have no idea what the # is. it is the honey comb with fiberglass sides
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

H8PP is the honeycomb.

I have used it for bulkheads and decks, but mainly to shed weight for go-fast boats.
If weight savings is not a priority you may want to pick a easier to handle product. You really have to plan ahead with this stuff because it wont hold a screw at all, so you have to be able to thru-bolt or put backing material where you know you will be mounting hardware, seats, etc.

You do NOT need epoxy resins with it. Large spans such as a deck you will want to make sure it is supported as not to possibly sag in the future- but that can be said for any decking material.

Cutting into a lot of newer boats we are finding the stuff more and more.
alano

Post by alano »

Used it for decking on my 35, made a web from 2x2 FRP square tube epoxied together with 1/4" SS all thread and fender washers to tension the web. Raybo is correct, think ahead, I cut cookies from the top of the panel and filled it with thickened epoxy where I wanted to thru bolt to the lip. The fighting chair mount was an aluminum step that bridged the webbing as I was concerned about crushing the core. It is amazingly light, I really should add some weight to the stern (no genny). No problems after 3 years. BTW epoxied it to the webbing, held it in place with screws and fender washers. BR, Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
Tunahead

Nida-Core

Post by Tunahead »

Thanks