Hand held GPS recomendations

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Hand held GPS recomendations

Post by gplume »

Got 3 West Marine Gift Cards over the last few months, so gonna buy me a hand held GPS as a back up to my installed unit. RE: My fog adventures of last year posted here) Torn between a simple one that just shows youur Lat Long (garman 72 or somthing like that), and some of the more fancy ones with built in charts ect (Garman Oregon 400c..or equivilent). Does anybody have any thoughts one way or the other on which unit is the most functional unit to buy. Suffring from the too many choices syndrome. I've gone full circle from simple to fancy back to leaning toward the one that just shows your position.
Giff
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Hi Giff

I have one of those Garmin GPSMAP 76S units and I love it for a backup. Because the mapping comes on a CD, if I am going on a trip somewhere new in the boat, I usually just take the 76S home and generate my waypoints on my laptop and then download the route to the 76S. I then use the 76S as my course GPS - just display the big compass arrow and follow it. A quick glance over at my standalone GPS unit and I get the full screen chart display.

Also, if I am out in my 4x4 on logging roads, I take the 76S with me. Very handy tool. I would highly recommend getting a chart display unit as opposed to just coordinates.

Cliff
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Giff- I have a Northstar 952 with a chartplotter on which I verify where I am, but very frankly find my day to day usage is on my back-up handheld in a bridge mounted bracket. I have my waypoints on both units and find it easier to go to my handheld, pick the waypoint, hit "go to" and set the navigation mode to compass and match the two arrows to stay on course. That same mode tells me my speed, how many miles to go and ETA. Mine happens to be a Magellan Tracker, which is presently obsolete. A condition I am afraid you will find will happen with any unit you buy and hold for two years. I suggest you look at units that have: A permanent mounting bracket. A 12V connection wire accessory. An external antenna accessory. My experience.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Maybe a different tack - but I have the app for my iphone.

iNavX application. I can also email my wife my location as long as I am within data cell range - it was around $39.00

Same I phone I have the Speed application that shows speed miles knots kilometers.

Now even if I go on a friends boat - I have this as a back up
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
scot

Post by scot »

Garmin.
Several models, get the one you want, but I suggest a Garmin.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Garmin.....
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gif,

I have a GPS 76, and a model 12 from Garmin. The 12 is so simple it is stupid! I love it. When the day comes that it dies, I will give it a proper burial, not throw it in the trash. Very easy to use.

I also have the Navionics app on my iPhone and it is the bees knees! (sorry, heard that in a recent Geico add. Cracks me up.) But it really works great.

Not water proof, but such is life. Neither is the 12. But the 76 is, and I have not been able to figure it out. Haven't tried all that hard, but such is life.

So, Tie between the iPhone and the 12. Otherwise, the 76. Those are my recommendations.

D
neil

Post by neil »

gotta go garmin
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have an Oregon 400c and it's a great unit. Get that, a couple of LED flashlights that use the same batteries, and bunch of strobe lights that also use the same batteries.

And keep a bunch of batteries on board.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Garmin,

Like Walter I have an old one that I bring up on the Tower when running. Real easy to use and works very well. Waterproof with a stand.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Scored a Garmin Oregon 400C. I like it so far...but it took a while to figure out which screen shows you present location. To me, that should be a hot button. Other than that.....having fun playing with my new toy.
Giff