trailer bow stop

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

trailer bow stop

Post by Rocky »

Just wanted to show you guys what I've been designing for a strong bow stop/winch post. 6061 T-6 and hardened back to T-6 after welding. Aint goin anywere! It works great, boat stays put with great support, and pulpit doesn't get even close to anything on it's way back on the steepest ramp I could find.
Rocky
Image[/img]
randall

Post by randall »

nice!!
John F.

Post by John F. »

Very nice. Still not used to a B31 as a trailer boat. What do you pull her with?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice job.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Randall and John. Yea John, I know she's a little big for towing, but it's kinda nice to be able to take her to different places if I want.
(new adventures and hottest fishing locations). I tow with a 2500 series Chevy, but with 5k lb air bags and a 6.0L. Does just fine. Just watch your height and renew your oversize permit every year and it's all good.
Rocky
algillen

Post by algillen »

Wow! Two questions.
Do you float the boat 100% of the way onto the trailer? If not, do you use the hand crank winch to get the boat the last few feet? Or will you put a power winch on?

Second question. Do you chain the bow down so it can't ride up over the bow pad in the event of an unusually fast stop? Or is there so much friction on the supports that it can't go anywhere?

Redefines the concept of big trailer boats.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Sim, and Algillen, so I have a reference to centering the boat with a spotter, and power it up till about 3ft or so, then with engines still in gear have spotter latch on. Then I just have spotter easily winch the rest till she cradles the stop, shut em down. I also have another 12k lb yellow strap to put some downward pressure on eye so boat cannot travel any further up stop. With that , also three other straps at forward section, between first and second axles and ratcheted down snugly with diapers glued to straps for chafe protection. Works great even with some effert involved.
Rocky
algillen

Post by algillen »

Thanks! All I can say is you must have access to some serious launch ramps!

I used to haul around a 24' twin diesel boat, and it was always a real chore getting it on and off the trailer, and it always made for a more challenging experience when we hit dead low tide -- regardless whether we were going in or out.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Beautiful work Rocky......looks like you thought it thru very well.

Harry
hb
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Harry. Yea, the gears were turnin a while on that design. It's interesting though how little dough it took to build compared to anything ON the boat! Must be that "marine" word I didn't have to contend with?
Rocky
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Rocky: Thats a great set up ..will save you $$ I had a trlr at first,had a couple repowers on it..then I put the tower...major height issue, but some first time routing changes & a 330am drive to launch..
Pulled it with a flatbed diesel.Got some pics somewhere....
bottom line, I sold the trlr to a guy taking his 31 to Hawii...
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Ironman. It costs $13/ft for a slip at the closest marina, and thats the old wood dock sections of the marina. I think the 31 is prettier in the water but oh well. I could trailer to Monterey Bay, Pacifica, Bodega Bay, Sausalito, and even Baja(a stretch) to catch the hot bite still within possability, that is if my wife Melissa would let me!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Rocky wrote:Thanks Ironman. It costs $13/ft for a slip at the closest marina, and thats the old wood dock sections of the marina.
That's only $147 a foot less than I pay.......

Perhaps there's a trailer in my future.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

$13 a foot? Oh my God! You can get charged more than that for a weekend slip out our way!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Per month...
around here in So. Cal.you can rent a mooring up to 21days in summer for $7 a night.Park your trailer somewhere & tuna fish for a week or so...
I think its up to 60days in winter...slips are over $500.00 a month
Wayne
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dammmmm, iam happy with my 1,100 per season, april till around dec or when ever
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oakdale yacth $159.00 a foot plus 10% extra for finger dock along one side.there is a waiting list for finger dockspace!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yep, that's alot of mortgage payment I don't want to give to the local marina.