ZF45a Linkage relocation comments.....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

ZF45a Linkage relocation comments.....

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have a pair of ZF45a's ib my B28. They are behind a pair of cummins 4BT's. As discussed in another thread I had to unfortunately replace the original gas tank, it was destroyed.

After finding a tank that would fit (and fit into my budget!) I realized there would be a clearance issue on the starboard side for the cable to attach to the transmission.

I thought about a few different ways to mount the linkage but it was just going to be a problem no matter what I did. I decided to fabricate a bracket that attaches to the original bracket and crosses over the transmission so the cable does no interfere with the new fuel tank.

The new bracket functions perfect and I guess if I keep it painted and greased it should not rust too bad. I will just have to keep an eye on it.

I attached the bracket to two threaded holes on the transmission that do not get used on my application (I think).

I looked through the manual and I could not see why I would have a problem attaching the bracket to this area.

I will post pics.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

PORT SIDE

1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Good job of problem solving. Only thing I see is the possible lateral stability by changing the direction of the cable 90º through the all thread cross over. While the shift lever on the transmission offers little resistance, an addition of a diagonal strap will greatly increase the rigidity of your mod.

scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

you may be right, I will take a better look and see if ther is enough clearance for a stabilizing piece to be added.

Thanks!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Frank, you should spray some cx all over that tranny.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Yes I will

Those tranny's are brand new and have not been anywhere near the ocean yet. The boat is in the back yard.

WHat is the exact name of that cx stuff?

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Corrosion-X You'll be wanting the RED lable
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

would a sleeve over the all thread work as well? Or shorten the height of the bracket?
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Shortening the height of the bracket will cause it to make contact with the hydraulic hoses that goto the cooler when the shifter is in the forward most position.

I am concerned about rigidity and I was thinking about welding it all together but the problem is one side needs to come apart so the bracket can be removed or installed on the transmission.

I have the locking nuts on the outside with a regular nut to the inside. I believe over time it is possible something could come loose. Right now with them tightened up it is good to go.

I could weld the inside nuts in place and one of the two locking nuts as well. This would only have one area that could loosen up. It would still allow the bracket to be removed and taken apart.
I also used polyethylene plastic washers where the bracket pivots on the right and loaded it with grease.

It really does function effortlessly though.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Scenario, If you do not have the clearance for Capt Pat's lateral bar(great safety idea) you could run a sleeve like Chris had the idea of, but have it in two over your threaded rod, both ends welded to the vertical pieces and at the center have the two ends spline to each other.That way you can still take it apart. (Whish I can do drawings like the Capt)! Just another thought.

Hi Frank, I was able to scan a drawing of what I was thinking. Hope this helps.

Rocky.