boat transport Southampton, NY to Ft Lauderdale, FL

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

boat transport Southampton, NY to Ft Lauderdale, FL

Post by Bertramp »

I wanted to make folks aware of some of the good and bad in boat transport.

Deep Water Transport ... the good ... picked boat up on time, base station always answered phone, trucker called and notified where he was and when he would be at delivery spot. Trucker Don, backed a big trailer like a true pro in a VERY tight yard. These folks were beyond the good ... they were the VERY GOOD. (910-687-0313) ... they have a website.
www.deepwatertransport.com

Elite Marine Transport ... the bad ... promised a pickup for 10/22 in the contract, 2 days prior when I called them, they said th date in contract was a mistake and they couldn't get there until a week later. Of course by this point, they had my $1,000 deposit. After many unanswered phone calls all week, I was told that they had a problem with their truck and they would be backed up further, but I was promised a pickup date of 11/4. This date also was missed. Finally on 11/11 ... I was informed that because they were so backed up they wanted to give my job to someone else, as he didn't want to lose the higher paying job that he had just found. Elite then promised a letter regarding the transfer to the other shipper, this too never arrived. The other shipper was Deep Water Transport (the GOOD).

Elite Marine Transport from Wilmington, NC - Rich Arkey ... the bad ... the VERY BAD .... to be avoided at all cost !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

ill plug my guy....all island marine transport. anyone whos seen where my boat spends the winter has to be impressed with their ability. tough road to the shop thru the woods.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Randall ... On the island, I've used Bill Decker (Hampton Bays) and Dwight Edstrom (Mattituck) over the years and been happy with both, but neither was available to do a long trip. This was not local, it was my B31 from Southampton, NY to Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I have used Deep Water Transport 2X.

First was a Bertram 20 from Eli, MN to Baltimore, MD. Second was a B25 from Detroit, MI to Baltimore, MD.

Only Issue I had was the second trip... I figured I would pay with plastic like I did the first time. Sorry don't take plastic anymore. Bank was closed, ATM limits, etc... luckily they were good to work with.

Ian.
randall

Post by randall »

yeah i know...but they are inexpensive, courteous, professional and the gal on the phone is a sweetheart. figured i give em a plug after dealing with the 'hampton' A holes the first few years.
serenitynow

Post by serenitynow »

WoW!!
________
Angelina jolie pics
Last edited by serenitynow on Feb 22nd, '11, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.
serenitynow

Post by serenitynow »

Ha Ha Ha!!
________
YAMAHA TD2
Last edited by serenitynow on Feb 22nd, '11, 20:43, edited 3 times in total.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I would be freeking out. I would bet that he damaged your boat and is trying to fix it before he gives it back or something. Good luck.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Wow, I don't blame you for contacting the police. THis could get very ugly for Elite Marine. Have you contaced your insurance?
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I did get my boat, but Rich and Elite were bad news. He saw my comments on the Hatteras site and seemed shocked that I would be kinda pissed about the poor way that he does business. The police seem like the only alternative when your boat is "missing" that amount of time. I too noticed that Elite has disappeared from "U-Ship".
Good Luck .... I hope you get your boat and that it is in good shape.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Hi Serenity,
Another idea might be to report this to your home state DOT office and/or the state the company shows they are based out of.
There should be some way they can put out a sort of APB to scale houses to look out for this company. Especially if you have a trailer or truck number. I haul cars and have been shut down at a scale house because another employee didn't pay a ticket.
Once the DOT comes a callin' to a trucking company of any size they'll do anything to get them to quit looking at their records, trucks, drivers, etc. They can cause the company a lot of pain to encourage them to finish the job or just release the freight.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Hey, BERTRAMP
Your guy, Dwight Edstrom .... had a kid working with me as a cull boy claming in the sixties so he must be sixty five or so. Came from Huntington and got a leg limp from a car accident about that time.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dwight was originally from Huntington ... I'm in Huntington now. Dwight's a nice guy, but I thought he was younger. He trucked a 31 FBC that I owned for me years ago.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly