Gauges for Yanmars

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Eddy G

Gauges for Yanmars

Post by Eddy G »

I am trying to decide what gauges to use with my new Yanmar repower since the factory panels won't fit on my console. My existing Yanmars use Teleflex gauges mounted in the factory dash panel. (Looks like the gauges that came with the boat) I could use them, but they are showing their age. I like the VDO's and they do come in the US 240-33 ohm range. My questions are what senders are being used in place of the Yanmar senders? What ohm range are the Yanmar senders? It appears that the thread count is different between threaded holes on engine and the VDO listed senders. Do you run a tap down the sender threads to make it work? Maybe I can use my old senders? What have you guys done and what gauges did you use with your Yanmars? Bruce, had any experience with this? Thanks, Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Eddy - I'd call Lauderdale Speedometer in FLL. They seem to be the gurus on gagues.

UV
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Good idea Vic. I had their website saved from the last time I went through this exercise. The fellow I talked to there seemed to think the new senders just screw right in. My info which may be wrong says the threads are one count off for both the temp and oil pressure. He's checking on it and working on a quote. If anyone has first hand knowledge of this, please let me know. Thanks, Eddy G.
Hyena Love

Guages

Post by Hyena Love »

I used DatCon guages. My recollection is that there are not that many guage companies, and more than a couple of brands are owned by Maxima or something.

The only sender problem I had was oil pressure. I recall the problem, and kinda think I bought a small piece of threaded pipe - real short - Yanmar thread on one end - regular thread on the other. Not realy pipe, more like a dual male fitting. I will see if I can dig up the info.

The Yanmar threads for that sender were close enough that on many engines, you could just screw in a sender with the closest regular size thread. I could not. Imperial pipe thread vs regular.

Other than the oil pressure sender, no issues with the senders otherwise provided by DatCon.

Sorry, I am just recalling more details.
Captrodney

Post by Captrodney »

Eddy,

My Yanmars came from the distributor with VDO senders. I used VDO Ocean Line Gauges. I also know a few guys that purchased the Yanmar gauges individually because the panels would not fit. Hope this helps.

Rodney
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Rodney: Did you also use the VDO tach? I plan to use the Aetna digital tachs, but they are pricey. As important as accurate rpm is, especially when getting the running gear set up, I figured the digital ones would keep me from hanging over those screaming engines with my photo tach. Ernest, I think Bill Fuller used the Datcon's. I looked them up and they look good. There's a Houston outfit that sells them on line. What did you use for a tach? Seems like VDO or Datcon is the way to go. Thanks guys for your input.
Eddy G.
Captrodney

Post by Captrodney »

Eddy,

I used the VDO Ocean Line tachs with the hourmeter. The dealer calibrated them when they put the motors in. They are very accurate. If you use the VDO Tachs, make sure that you run the ground wire straight from the sender to the gauge. Do not use the ground wire in the Yanmar harness.Please don't ask how I know this.

Rodney
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You should also think about flow scans with the tach. I have them and they are very good and help track fuel use offshore also
scot

Post by scot »

Second on the Flowscan....a must have for the instrument panel.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Eddy

Pick the guages you like. The manufacturer should be able provide you with sending units. Most of the good tachs are adjustible and will operate off of the Yanmar sending unit that counts flywheel teeth.

I will send you an email that I believe I posted here when Ernest was going through the guage decission.

I am about to walk out the door and will be out of the country with no email access for the next 10 days. Maybe we can talk when I get back.

Bill
Hyena Love

Tachs

Post by Hyena Love »

I used the Flowscan - tach, hour meter, burn rate, and total burn - combo unit to reduce the area needed for the complete package. I also went with a boost guage. The whole gauge area is not real big, and rather than expand out to some gauges on the side pannels - which some folks have done very nicely - I tried to cram everything into the existing area.

I did put all the switches on a panel inside the hatch on the bridge though. Other than lights, my experience with the switches was turn them on in the morning, and turn them off when you hit the dock in the evening. Rest of the time, except for people accidently switching them off, I really didn't need access on the dash.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I just checked out the FloScan site and those combo gauges look nice. As for switches and gauge layout, I'm in good shape. The existing Yanmar repower used the factory Bertram dash switches and gauges. It has kill buttons and starter switches (no keys) and should all work with the new engines. The factory Bertram engine / bilge monitor is all connected working fine so I plan to keep it. My main concern was new gauges with senders that fit the Yanmar ports. You guys have eased my concerns and openned my eyes to good options. I'll let you know which way I went when it's done. Thanks again for all of the great input.
Eddy G.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Eddy G, You can put the flow scans in yourself but it takes some time. It took me about 40 hours to do it right but well worth all the time and effort.