Dead Stuff

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Night hunting is one thing, But this is awsome. They say you can kill 100 + an hour if you can shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
1976 FBC
3208 NA
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

I can tell you from experience it is not easy hitting a point target from a helicopter. That is a great video.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

And they just lay out there and rot?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walterk to think there are starving children in west virginia coal region.years ago people with this mentality try to kill the last buffalo.i would love to be covering for the hogs and give that chopper incoming!!!!the idiots are even wearing camo for what reason???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I know that down here in South Tx., thousands of pounds of processed hog meat are donated to the less fortunate. I'd much rather eat a sow that weighs in at 70 or 80 lbs than I would a whitetail any day of the week. I just got some sausage back that was made with 50%red stag and 50%feral hog meat...seasoned up with all of the godies and cheese and jalepeno to boot...hard to beat.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

You guys do not comprehend the level of destruction these pests (nutria and pigs) can do. And, these pests are not indigenous.
Would you eat the chopper crew after you shot them down, Bob?
What if they wore tuxedos?
A ranch we hunt on in Texas killed 800 from a helo two yrs ago and you couldn't tell any were thinned at all.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john i usually gut ,dress and skin out my own deer.i then bring it to a bucher in maine.the bucher will cut up any way you like it so i have him add pork to the sausage like 50/50 .many people cook the hell out of deer meat i make it rare ---big differants.
on the subject ;25 years ago i went to orlando , fl. then a truck ride to some place called "kissime" (sp?) i had my rambo style army issue ,a 44 magnum piston loaded with "snake charmers" high boots and my bow. we walk thru miles of snake infested high grass as we glassed in front of us .my partner spotted a hog then crawl to get close enough for a shot (in those days a compound bow were now wares as good as todays) well keith put two arrows in this hog and it started to charge . keith took him out with the knife. quite a feat but keith was won of america`s best (special forces). wow what a meal bbq we had a block party at his house in orlando . what this all means is i am not against the taking of hogs but i would be the first to volunteer to have a giant bbq at the texas children hospital rather them leave them there to rot in the field .hunting from a chopper is for pussies!!!---no balls no babies
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

here is the knife;perfectly balance became a extension of your hand ,a real work of art and deadly!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

years ago people with this mentality try to kill the last buffalo
gestation period for buffalo 12 -13 months
gestation period for swine under 4 months

calves per buffalo cow ~ 1 calf every 2 years
piglets per sow ~ 12 - 14 per year

Sexual maturity buffalo 4 1/2 years
sexual maturity swine 1 1/2 years

Feral pig groups normally consist of two to 20 individuals, but as many as 40 or 50 animals may come together during dry seasons or drought. Most are female. est 30 female x 12 piglets yearly = 450 new pigs per year per group

buffalo ~ high economic value
feral pig ~ negative economic value - damage to farm and pasture lands in the millions of dollars
the idiots are even wearing camo for what reason???
You got clothes for:

Sunday go to meetin' -- usually something that requires dry cleanin'

Friday night dinners with your gal -- usually new, sometimes a bit flashy, mostly laundered

Work -- somewhere in between the above if you're an office worker. Something far lees than above if you work blue collar.

Hunting -- almost always camo or day glow orange/yellow So if you're huntin' odds are you're huntin' in camo regardless of the vehicle you're in... Obviously the chopper crew weren't tryin' be stealthy... Just their usual huntin' clothes.

As to availability of human consumption (feral swine, not buffalo): While some small local organizations might take a few smaller hogs for charity, wide spread distribution of feral hogs as a human food source can get sideways of the FDA real quick. And then there's the liability factors, processing, refrigeration, etc... I suspect that most farmers just drag 'em into a burn pit and send up smoke signals to the ones that got away.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Bob: We had mad minutes ..every nite OR SO in Cambodia. oN THE firebase..The c.o. would change the time nightly. So this one nite I get a m14 ready with a mag full of tracers from my m60.. put that thing on full auto & wow.ever shoot a m14 on full auto?. what a kick.. Give away your position big time & cant aim it either..
Ever put a frag under a claymore with the pin pulled??When chuck moves it 3 sec surprize.. Or a fuse from a smoke is instant..
HAD A GUY IN MY AMBUSH 5 MAN SQUAD (NEW GUY )SET HIS CLAYMORE UP backwardsd TWARD US!!!i SAW IT BEFORE DARK THO..
WOW IT SAYS FRONT TWD ENEMY RIGHT ON IT..
gOOD TRAINING i GUESS.or looking for a job in the rear...
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Bob, They say they are wearing camo because its realy cold out and they say that the farmers that hire them pick up the hogs and donate the meat to food banks. Atleast thats there story. I was amazed at the shooting from the helicoter. I don't think I could shoot as good as them.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

can`t say i knew the gestation of a swine was 4 months ,wow i though coyote at twice a year was a problem in maine.i can see this really getting out of hand .okay shoot to exterminate i forsee them getting wiped out in short time with the atv and machine gun but the chopper is out.
ironman yes on all the claymore tactics and for people who don`t know about tracers in one word don`t! it is one thing to be in the "dragon " overhead shooting 6000 rounds a minute with tracer every 10 to stay on target but for iron man in a dug out hold with sand bags around him and the m-60 in the slot .they get within 300 meters and your a primary target for rpg round with your name on it.same with m-2 50cal we put a plastic coke bottle over end for homemade flash surpresser and never use tracer.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

hunting from a chopper is for pussies!!!
They ain't hunting, they are eradicating with aerial management permits. What they're being paid to do...
I was amazed at the shooting from the helicopter. I don't think I could shoot as good as them.
I can tell you from experience it is not easy hitting a point target from a helicopter.
Keep in mind that these guys aren't shooting .308, 30-06, or 7.62 ammo. They're shooting .233 in something like an AR-15. And the chopper they're shooting from isn't a Black Hawk or Huey, (with all the heavy vibration of a military chopper), but a small two seat Robinson R22.

Also not long sniper type fire, but ultra low altitude, borderlineing on stunt flying. So the shots are not as difficult as what a Marine marksman or snipper would have in a Black Hawk at 100 yards from his target. None the less, the shooter IS good and the pilot is incredible for chasing down the pigs and flying nearly sideways to give his gunner the best angle. Kudos to these guys!

Reminds me of Drew Wright the day he was shooting the aerials of Buddy Boy, flying sideways, with the stick between his knees, and both hands controling a Hassleblad 4x6 still camera close enough to me to throw a beer bottle into his cockpit... That's at 24 kt over ground on a breezy day to boot. Also reminds me of the day Bruce and I rode with Tommy Drakes buddy in his Robinson 44 Raven I at the first NC B31 Rendezvous on Harker's Island.

Damn! I love choppers!
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Dec 10th, '09, 19:22, edited 2 times in total.
randall

Post by randall »

me too.....especially when you jump out on a narrow shoulder and there is 3000 vert of untracked powder below you. beats the hell out of climbing up.
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

I cant comment! I am still in! But I can tell you I sure do love HELICOPTERS and hunting terrorist!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

That kinda looks like a "LOACH"SmALL BIRD WITH only A PILOT & M60 GUNNER HANGIN out the skids flyin tree top level,tryin to draw fire....
They had a short lifespan alot a times.
Cobra worked with them, high, lookin for muzzle flash ground fire.. called them the low hi team . worked with them some. . from the ground..
The only job you could transfer to.... from the bush(Doorgunner on a loach).. ) buddy was one...
Wayne
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Andy,

And your service is greatly appreciated!
hunting terrorist!
That's got to be a lot more rewarding than poppin' squealers.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The header leading into the video points out that it is (as Patrick pointed out) an eradication program sanctioned by the Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife. The trailer at the end of the video pointed out that the cost to farmers is estimated to be $1400 per year per feral pig. At $600 per hour (+/-) for the Robinson R-22, it still makes economic sense for the ag community to use that extreme approach. We've got problems here with beavers damming up waterways and flooding farm land and timberland, and nutrias are making a comeback here as well. Andre, what does the state pay per nutria tail down your way?

TD
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Feral pigs live from about 15 to 25 years. Boars usually lead solitary lives, though several may band together. Sows forage with their young, usually about six in a family group. Several family groups may join together to live in a sounder (the proper term for a large group of pigs) of 50 or more individuals.

Let's see.... At an estimated average of only 25 pigs, (less any boars), times $1,400 is $35,000 a year in damages. Some shoots these guy go on bags as many as 100 hogs a trip. Those numbers could equate to $140,000 a year in damages. At about $600 per hour (air time), plus expenses, (travel, ammo, whatever), a 4 hour eradication flight probably costs around $6,000. Contract them twice a year for a total of $12k.

Sounds like a bargan to me.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

MORE FACTS ABOUT FERAL HOGS:

§ Feral hogs are present in at least 23 states and are found in most counties in
Alabama. Their population and range is increasing.

§ Feral hogs first breed at six months of age and average nearly two litters per
year. They average 4 to 7 pigs per litter and breed in cooler months with a
115-day gestation period.

§ A population of feral hogs can double every four months. Numbers can increase
from one hog per square mile to 100 hogs per square mile in 3 years.

§ Feral hogs are crafty, intelligent animals and can survive natural hardships.
They consume primarily vegetative matter. The meat of feral hogs is lean and
delicious.

§ In Alabama the feral swine is categorized as a game animal and can be hunted by
licensed hunters year round without limits. They cannot be hunted over bait or at
night. If on private land, the landowner’s consent is needed. It is illegal to relocate
trapped feral hogs.

§ The last cases of brucellosis and pseudorabies in domestic swine in Alabama
were in 1996. Since that time, there have been over 20 premises where trapped
feral hogs have been found to have one or both diseases. Fortunately, the diseases
have not spread back to domestic hogs.

§ Domestic swine owners should not allow their hogs to come in contact with feral
hogs. Adequate fencing and sound management practices should be
utilized.

§ Brucellosis, also know as Bangs disease or undulant fever, can spread from
infected hogs to humans, usually through contact with reproductive fluids and
internal organs. It is a debilitating disease in humans requiring extensive antibiotic
and supportive treatment. Hunters are especially vulnerable when field
dressing feral hogs barehanded. The meat should be cooked thoroughly.

§ Trichinosis, caused by a parasite found embedded in the muscle and Sparganosis,
caused by a tapeworm found beneath the skin of infected hogs, can affect
humans. Caution should be exercised in handling; thorough cooking will destroy
the parasite.

§ Agricultural damage caused by feral hogs includes crops, land, fences and farm
equipment. The timber industry is adversely affected through destruction of
seedlings and young trees. Monetary loss can be extensive.

§ Feral hogs have a negative impact on wildlife habitat. They are known to compete
directly with native game species, cause damage to wildlife food plots and
are predators of ground-nesting birds.

Information provided by the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Patrick I agree. The feral hogs here in NC have not gotten to TX leave but time will tell.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Numbers can increase from one hog per square mile to 100 hogs per square mile in 3 years.
1 sq mi = 640 acres The average farm in Texas is 527 acres or 0.82 sq mi

Central Park (Manhattan) is 843 acres (1.317 sq mi) -- Think about 1300+ wild pigs rootin' through the park. Now think ahead 3 years to the tune of almost 133,000 hogs in the park.

I'd be willing to bet that the frequency of CP muggings would be drastically down though...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

In case anyone else couldn't get Discovery Channel's video to play, (Andy's link), here it is on YouTube

If you listen closely, the narrator says to just keep the population in check, (not eradicated), you have to cull 7 out of 10 wild hogs & they capture over 700 each year just on that one piece of property.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

amuh60 wrote:I cant comment! I am still in! But I can tell you I sure do love HELICOPTERS and hunting terrorist!
My brother in law was a battalion commander flying Blackhawks in Iraq and in Afghanistan. He is still in, but back state side after several tours. We got him a tour of the Sikorsky factory so he could see where they were being built. Anyway, he swears that women gunners are the best Taliban killers in the air. They must just hate those sons of bitches enough to really want to light their asses up.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Five bucks per tail and it isn't enough, Tommy. Last time I went hunting them before the bounty was in effect w/.22 mags, two us PI'ed dead 134 nutria and shot alot more. In about 5 hours during mid-day.

Worse than Welfare mothers.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

this is a very educational thread. OK...kill those suckers...its bad enough we are over run with deer...we dont need hogs.
clay

Post by clay »

Here is my favorite hog hunting video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uVYAtf1zVI
coolair

Post by coolair »

it doesnt matter how many times i see that video i still laugh my ass off. I know it all sounds cruel and mean, but if you could just see the damage the do you might understand. Just look at the stats Capt. Pat wrote. one back breaking day plowing or mowing a field where they have been you will hate them forever.
coolair

Post by coolair »

discovery chan. right now. show called "pig bomb" bout the wild hogs. check it out.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Coolair

I saw that show. Man that is scary. Attacked by a pig in your front yard. I thought things like that happened only in downtown Camden, NJ.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tony Meola wrote:Coolair

I saw that show. Man that is scary. Attacked by a pig in your front yard. I thought things like that happened only in downtown Camden, NJ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZB5b-jX10Q
coolair

Post by coolair »

I dont know what was more scary, the nyquil commercial or the pigs haha
Tony
no kidding right,
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Living in one of the most densly populated areas in the country and having a bear warning sent out by the local police is one thing, but when these things begin to show up, the fun will really begin.

It will be only a matter of time before they make it up here. Should be interesting watching one of them try and run across the Garden State Parkway or the Turnpike the way the deer do. That will thin the heard out quick.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I can see it now head line news, Toyota takes hog through windshield, people ok, having ribs for dinner.
Had a buddy hit a cow once doing idk 50 or 60, really messed up him f250, cow didn't fair to well either, lots a cow sh*t all over his truck too.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

The most dangerous mammal in North America is...Bambi. The U.S. Department of Transportation estimates that white-tailed deer kill around 130 Americans each year simply by causing car accidents. In 1994, these predator deer had a banner year, causing 211 human deaths in car wrecks.

There are about 1.5 million deer/vehicle collisions annually, resulting in 29,000 human injuries and more than $1 billion in insurance claims in addition to the death toll. Deer also carry the ticks that transmit Lyme disease to about 13,000 people each year. Economic damage to agriculture, timber, and landscaping by deer totals more than $1.2 billion a year.

Now, you might think that hitting Bambi would ruin your day, but hit a hog... Like hitting a brick wall. Low to the ground, dense, and can even pole toss a small car. Even worse, hit one with a motorcycle.

While I never had a close call with a hog/bike, about '68 several of us were riding from Houston to Mobile on our bikes. This was before I 10 and US 90 was still a 2 lane road.

Somewhere between Lake Charles, La & N.O., a damn neutria ran out across the road. I'm doing about 60 and he times his run so as to not allow me to break or alter course. I brace for what I imagine as maybe the last thing I'm gonna' see in this lifetime. The bike gods allowed the timing to have the critter just clear behind my front tire and completely clear before the frame mowed him over. Damn near messed my shorts...
randall

Post by randall »

deer kill quite a few people out here. its been a bit better lately as it appears they have learned to look for cars. about ten years ago around the corner from my house a guy was riding a bicycle. a car hit a deer and sent it flying through the air....................hitting the guy on the bike and killing him. when your time is up.....its up.

patrick...glad you escaped. i gave up motorcycles when i felt i had used up all my free passes.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

c-mon you guys are a bunch of pikers you have to see the damage done when you hit a moose crossing the road. at least you have a chance with ambient lights or street lights .at my house in maine there nothing total blackness on the roads.you hit a moose and it is over due to the height differance between it and a deer they allways go thru the windshield ---your dead!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

thats how the deer kill folks out here...through the windshield or car plows into tree which are every few feet on the shoulder of most roads. pretty dark out here at night too.....no streetlights and lots of forest and water which dont contribute much.

glad we dont have to contend with moose, elk, and bears.
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:thats how the deer kill folks out here...through the windshield or car plows into tree which are every few feet on the shoulder of most roads. pretty dark out here at night too.....no streetlights and lots of forest and water which dont contribute much.

glad we dont have to contend with moose, elk, and bears.

No we just have to deal with idiots behind the wheel....no shortage of them around here.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

When I spent time in Alaska, where they have over 350 moose road kills a yr, they said if you're gonna hit a moose, try and aim for the hindquarter to keep them from flopping thru the windshield rather than under the belly.

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dear are just plain stupid when it comes to roads and cars. One night I was passing a deer that was grazing on the side of the road. As I get even with him, he takes off in a full gallop running right along side me.

Craziest thing I have ever seen. The damn things keeps looking over at me to trying to see if he can dart in front of me. After abut 50 yards I realize this stupid thing is trying to outrun me, and wants to cut infront of my truck to cross the road. I hit the brakes and he just scooted right in front of me. Go figure.

I bet when he got back into the brush he had a laugh with his buddies how he out chickened me.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Every year in yellowstone park they loose wolves, bear, elk and i think buffalo to car accidents, they said a fedex or ups truck does it alot of times they aren't gong slow looking at stuff.
Leaving west yellowstone last year, we say a moose calf t-bone a ford e350 RV, hosed the door, side window, and side mirror moose gut up and hauled butt. All slow speed no one got hurt. Honestly i am surprised i have never hit a deer as much as i have driven
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I have been on the New Jersey Turnpike once in my life and I am 1 for 1 in Deer kills. When the trooper finally shows up and I manage to get my giggles under control after seeing his uniform, he's a mid 20's kid with a thick Jersey accent. Said he didn't see the deer back there, states in a very deadpan way that the deer probably headed off into the woods "cause they know that we'se just gonna shoot them anyhow"...Now I had the giggles bad...
randall

Post by randall »

ive hit 3 and stopped driving the austn healey at night cause it was too dangerous. there are a few places we always slow down because we've seen deer there so often. they actually have deer crossing signs at a few of them.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

hey Bob, tiring of shooting and trapping hogs, my son & friends have taken to running them down with dogs and killing them w/knives. Here's a pix of a big one he killed last weekend with a knife.
[
img]Image[/img]

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Andre- The O.J.Simpson school of hunting? Better not fool around with anyone in your family! Wow!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Andre- When I was young I was told that the knife used to hunt them was known as an Arkansas toothpick.

That is too hardcore for a fat old man like me.
randall

Post by randall »

andre....thats pretty bold!!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Many don't understand that the overpopulation of many species leads to disease thus rendering any chance of using said animals for food useless.

PETA and bleeding heart don't kill an animal types don't understand the actual suffering that wild life goes thru because of these diseases from over population putting aside any impact on AG costs.

Unlike many European countires where the King and Queens of past have hunted animals into extinction, the US does a fair job in managing its species.

It needs to be better. There needs to be less restrictions of hunting leases, dates and permits.

Hunting from a helo is an efficient way to cull populations over flat land.

But I doubt many of those hits were 1 shot kills. I'd wager that many of those hogs suffered before dying.

My belief is if your gonna hunt, kill on the first shot or stay the hell out of the woods. If you take more than two shots to kill an animal, just turn the gun on yourself or let me toss a toaster in the tub the next time you take a bath.