How to counteract PB Blaster

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

How to counteract PB Blaster

Post by gplume »

Am at a bit of aloss here on what to do...so I am posting this message to ask for some advice from the faithful. In preparation to get started on this years winter project....(72 Norton dismantle and rebuild)...I douced a lot of the bike (rusty bolts ect )with PB blaster. Garage is attached to my house, and after 3 days can't seem to get rid of the smell which has permeated throughout my house. Actually, to be honest, I don't mind the smell...but the wife is on the warpath...amped up no doubt because of christmas. Don't really want to sleep in the garage with the Norton...so any suggestions on what will cut the smell besides a dead skunk or some Guiness farts....would be much appreciated.
Giff
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Giff

Only cure that I know actually works is to get an Ozone generator. Close the area off, leave it tight and come back a couple of hours later. Air the place out and its gone.

I know you can buy an Ozone generator not sure if anyone rents them.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Tony...thanks for the tip. Just googled "ozone generators".....a product I never knew existed. I have to look into this...thanks again for the advice.
Giff
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Try going to a place that sells Oil Burner parts, possibly a plumbing supply?

Ask for a product called "sweet air", it comes in an aerosol and also comes in a powder form. This product is specifically designed to eliminate and neutralize odors from fuel oil spills inside of the home. It works pretty darn good.

I am sure it will work for your problem.

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
John F.

Post by John F. »

You know that you gotta' post pics of the Norton, right? Please.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've used a product called Knock Out that will deodorize just about anything. Used it in the camp after a flood and it worked very well to get the mildww smell out. Its a liquid that I fogged with an electric fogger. will also get cig. smoke smell out of a car with one shot.

UV
Buju

Post by Buju »

paint something with awlgrip in the garage...

then enjoy a churchill sized cigar.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Layup some polyester, then awlgrip and then the cigar.

Douch the bike with something to rid the Pb Blaster off the bike. Otherwise once the smell is rid of in the home it will just return.

Any chance the HVAC system air handler is in the garage and the smell is getting in via your air ducts?
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

You can try this:

https://buyproaction.com/Pro_Active.html

I saws it on Ship Shape TV. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Regards,

Doug L.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Here's the method I used for a couple of stunk up houses I remodeled.

Take a pound or so of coffee grounds and put them in an old frying pan. Put the pan to cook on a hotplate for about 8 hrs.

I've never used this method in an occupied home, but I would go for it in the garage.

All old cig. smoke, cat pee odors etc. will dissapear. Leaves a slight lingering roasted coffee order.

I would only use inside the house if you have lingering odors from unwanted inlaws who are still living in your guest room.
Good luck
Ray
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Call your Coroner, he can give you some good stuff.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

i find that an open flame will negate most combustible odors. of course you dont want to do it with too much combustible.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Umm been there myself.

Only I did it in my daughters room because the wife was naggin me about a window that was not opening easily. Alum construction and the hinges had a bunch of corosion. Hit it with some PB or liquid wrench and that window operated like new.

Soon as my wife walked in the room all I heard was what is that smell then of course my daughter came in and started coughing followed by my other daughter who quickly picked up on the cue.

I solved the problem by going fishing.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They DO seem to stick together, don't they?
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Good one Sim,

I've found that going fishing will solve a lot of ills and solve problems. The bigger the problem, the more beer you take and just plan on dropping the anchor somewhere.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

You can try putting trays of charcoal bricks around in the garage and pans of coffee. They are supose to both absorb bad smells. I know the Ozone generators work. They brought on down to EMS station to sell or rent to all the emergency services 60 grand. They used one of the old Medic units that had a leaking roof and smelled bad. 15 min you could not smell anything in there. There selling point was it was germ and bacteria free when done.

Good luck.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
gplume

Post by gplume »

Tons of good advice...thanks all. I 'll post some "before" pictures of the project shortly. A classic no doubt...but one badly in need of rehab. It dates you if you remember that Norton was one of the first "super bikes" capable of box stock qtr miles just north of 12 seconds. Around where I work....only a few guys know what a Norton is or was. Guess I am too %^$*^#& old.
Giff
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Snortin' Norton Commando 650. The year model I remember is around 1965... Decreped in Texas.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

In the first scene of the movie "Lawrence Of Arabia" wasn't Peter O'toole thrashing a Norton around the English countryside?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Giff; If some nut calls it a BSA then there a reason to pound some XXX into him. I have had that happen. Same as someone saying nice MG when it is a Morgan.
I do like the coffee idea.
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
randall

Post by randall »

when i had my kawasaki mach III (fastest production vehicle in the world in 1969....$999 brand new) my bud had a norton commando. we traded all the time. straight line...me, curvy road......him.
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Had a buddy who had a Kow and the brakes was the weak link. I think it was a 5 speed. But no brakes. I will take my HD I know what real fast is.
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
randall

Post by randall »

used to pass sportsters like they were standing still. no brakes and squirreiy to boot....but fast.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I've traded my '77 Triumph Bonneville 750 off with a friend's Sportster several times. I'll keep the Bonneville.
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Giff

I had a couple of Nortons in my past life. I have an original Norton workshop manual in great shape, published in 1973 and covers all 750/850 Commandos from 1970 and on.

If that is something you could use, shoot me your postal address and I will send it off.

For the record, Nortons are great but I wouldn't trade my HD with heated seat.

Cliff
randall

Post by randall »

cliff...you just got older is all.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Cliff-

That is great news as the factory manuals that I tried to get recently are on back order. I have a Haynes manual. but it os just not that great. Just bought all the special tools from "Old britts" I will need for the tear down. Going at it as soon as Christmas is behind us as I don't want to stink up my house again,,,,just before the wifes big "open house" party.

I'll send you a PM momentarily.

Pix as soon as I get them organized.

To be honest, I am partial to all 2 cylinder bikes.....They all sound better to me....Harley, Norton, Triumph, BSA, Ducati.....Breathed on Beemer.... ect
Giff
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Giff

Package went out today - 7 - 9 days for delivery, so you should get it shortly after the holidays. I would rather you put it to work than have it gathering dust on one of my shelves.

Merry Christmas.

Cliff
gplume

Post by gplume »

Cliff -

Many thanks for the Christmas gift.

Here are a few of the as is today shots - Recieved all my Noton "specail tools". Ready to get started. Definately a beast in need of some TLC.

Any words of wisdom before I get too far into this project are welcome.

Giff
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Not a real motorcycle guy but that looks cool. I've started to really like the older bike look. Seeing the Amsoil....have you used it...anyone think it's worth the money?
Buju

Post by Buju »

Giff,

My advice would be to get another couple cases of Kalik...

And slowly & gradually aclimate everyone to the smell of PB Blaster. They'll
grow to love it. Then switch it up to CX on the reassembly stage.

Really cool bike, do it proud and bring it back.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kurt wrote:Not a real motorcycle guy but that looks cool. I've started to really like the older bike look. Seeing the Amsoil....have you used it...anyone think it's worth the money?
I cannot speak for the Amsoil Oil Product line... but when I was in the midst of the Ethanol Problem some years ago...I found Amsoil Foaming Intake Cleaner to be the only product that would keep the motor going. A good shot before I started her up got everthing moving and a real good shot after I shut her down would keep the crude from gumming up the motor for the next time. I ran the better part of a season that way. That was a good product and was initally given to me by a customer who swore by the line.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Cliff-

Many, many thanks for the shop manuals. Just got them Tuesday.

(Keep an eye on you mail.....)

All the Best
Giff
Giff
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wasn't there a Blue Grass song about a Norton Black Lightening? I always wanted one after hearing that song!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31